RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Mid Air collision (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/7975450-mid-air-collision.html)

Mr67Stang 09-21-2008 09:49 AM

Mid Air collision

1 Attachment(s)
Well after 3 years of flying it finally happened. I had never seen a mid air collision and my first is one I'm involved in. A buddy and I were playing a little chase around the feild. I with my Avistar and him with a Carl Goldberg Cesna Skylane. The planes went down about 100 feet off the aproach end of the runway in a thick soy bean feild. We walked out Tx's in hand moving control surfaces hoping to hear them. A third pilot ended up finding them intwined by their landing gear. So here is some balsa carnage for your enjoyment... I think you can see that we were not to broke up about it either:D It was spectacular to say the least.

daveopam 09-21-2008 10:00 AM

RE: Mid Air collision

After 20 years I have seen several mid airs. This is the first one I have seen where the plane came down together. Unless you count balsa and Monocote stuck in the cooling fins.:D David

mydartswinger 09-21-2008 06:24 PM

SCORE, that means that this one was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Makes it all that much more worth it. It was awesome, at least the little bit I saw and heard of it while my plane was flying at the other end of the field [&o]. I've got the pics downloading from the camera to my computer now. I'll try to get the first couple brightened up a little and add them to the mix.

aerowoof 09-21-2008 06:49 PM

first time I have seen them stay together also most times one goes oneway the othe the opossite.I would say the skylane won.

mydartswinger 09-21-2008 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the images I promised.

rlipsett 09-22-2008 08:46 AM

looks like some kind of bizzarre bird mating ritual to me.

Mr67Stang 09-22-2008 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: rlipsett

Yes. Unfortunately though, they failed to produce offspring:D

daveopam 09-22-2008 06:02 PM

THose are some great shots.

David

stikman26 09-23-2008 01:25 AM

If they did, I'd be trying to hit every airplane up there!! So how are things in parkton?

Mr67Stang 09-23-2008 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: stikman26

If they did, I'd be trying to hit every airplane up there!! So how are things in parkton?
Real good. We are having a Fun Fly on the 11th. You should come on back out. I'll likely be on the grill as opposed to the sticks though.

mydartswinger 09-23-2008 07:38 AM

Got it posted on the club website now. [link=http://www.davisbridgeaeromodelers.com/september_20_2008_midair.html]Here it is.[/link]

stikman26 09-24-2008 12:46 AM

would love too, but its a bit of a drive, living up in VA now... Ill bring a plane down when we make it down that way.

Capflyboy05 01-24-2011 10:25 PM

Poor Avistar took the brunt of the hit it looks like.<div>Great pics! </div><div>Sorry for the loss though.</div><div>Even if you're not too tore up over it.</div>

1320Fastback 01-24-2011 11:20 PM

I myself had my first midair a few months ago with my Avistar too. I "rear-ended" a Zagi wing and let just say it was David vs. Goliath.

Yea his battery got ejected and the wing lazily spun to the ground; but my poor plane had the wing split at the joiner and the front window that the wing tucks under broke off. I managed to land it though.

BTW Mr67Stang whatcha got? Well I know its a 67 Mustang but ????

sir crashallot 01-25-2011 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: rlipsett

i agree, it certainly looks like they have got there wings in a flap!!