RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Modified My US60 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/812834-modified-my-us60-arf.html)

hookedonrc 05-29-2003 01:11 AM

Modified My US60 ARF

1 Attachment(s)
Well I joined the "I had my first real crash club" this Memorial Day weekend. We had a guest day at our field. Great turn out about 50-60 pilots and close to 100 planes. I have been flying about a year and have been pretty lucky and have improved my skills, yet.......

So I get up the nerve in the morning to fly my 4*60 lost the engine on a go around. Gave it full throttle about 1 ft above the ground, it quit, and I pancaked on the runway. This one was not a problem. Except for flattening the landing gear and putting a hole in the leading edge it was fixable. Took care of the gear at the field and taped the LE could have tried it again, but I decided later to take up my ultra stick.

Well I modified my Ultra Stick 60 into a Ultra Stickss 60. Was doing rolls a little close to the ground, but not too low. Into one and into the second, losing a little altitude, but in general not too bad. My thumb was trained, but my brain stepped in the way. I exited the second roll upside down because I was concerned that the ground was coming up to fast to complete the roll. I pushed forward on my elavator (just what I was supposed to do) and then my brain got in the way and said "no you're pushing the wrong way." Well I wasn't and I should have just kept pushing forward, the plane would have recovered, I could have landed, and avoided the long walk into the wheat field next to ours.

Here is the result:

hookedonrc 05-29-2003 01:13 AM

Modified My US60 ARF

BTW: Trying to find out how to make the enlarged picture bigger. I do have an optimizer program, but maybe I don't get how to use it.

Thanks for any help.

mrbonk 05-29-2003 03:07 AM

Modified My US60 ARF

Yep, same way I killed my first Great Planes Dazzler. Doing lazy, low throttle, inverted figure 8's in front of myself......had a total brain fart and pulled up instead of down......*crunch*. Now, I'm going to use the excuse that I had the flu and had taken some drugs to combat it :D Either way, if the good old brain had just stayed out of it, my thumbs knew what to do and would have been fine on their own :)

Goinstraightup 05-30-2003 04:50 PM

Modified My US60 ARF

Sorry for your US60 Loss. I have one in the box awaiting eng and radio. Gonna be a long wait.

hookedonrc 05-30-2003 06:24 PM

Modified My US60 ARF

Thanks for your sympathy. If it were my thumb I could cut off the problem. However it was my brain.....I'm not going there!

BTW: I got real lucky, went to my LHS to get the replacement ARF for $179.00. They had one hanging from the ceiling that was on sale by one of the club members I know. He is selling because he has too many planes now. It is completely finished, in great shape, and only needs the engine, servos and electronics. I paid $189.00 for it and will be in the air by the weekend. With the ARF I would have been at least 2-3 weeks building and would have to pay taxes. It turns out the ARF would be more expensive than the finished one after the taxes. So ....>>>I bought it>>>>