Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

Canon 40D

Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Billmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canon 40D

Is it worth getting a Canon 40D body fixed with an error 99 caused by a motherboard issue? I used to use this with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM lens at air shows like the one coming up in Stuart FL Nov 2011 and I no longer have the 2.8 but still have the camera body with an 18-55 stock lens. While I cannot photograph the "H/C" (Human Control) planes in the air I can at least get some good shots of the ground displays.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Momerath

Default RE: Canon 40D

Hi All - I've been playing with an infrared R72 filter from Hoya fitted to a Canon 50mm 1.4 prime lens. As the sensors in digital cameras are protected by a filter toremoveIR light, using an IR filter to record IR images requires considerable exposure times, perhaps as much as 30 - 60 seconds. However, using the Canon 1.4 lens and a high ISO rating reduces times to about less than a second in good light. As described elsewhere on the Web, there are problems with focusing and with "hotspots" on some lens (including the Canon 50mm 1.4). To compound matters, the resulting images show a strong red or magenta bias which causes problems for post-processing. It's a wonder anyone bothers with the technique. Nevertheless, there are some fine and intriguing images to be seen and knowing how to capture them is always worthwhile.

I'm particularly indebted to Steaphany on this site for posts about a year ago on how to go about post-processing captured images. Until reading those posts I was struggling to get anywhere. The following image is the best of my first attempts and for anyone with a Canon DSLR and its associated DPP software here's a workflow.<o></o>

<o></o>

Old 10-20-2011, 06:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say a lot depends on what it would cost to fix. The 40D is a great camera, but if it's going to break the bank to fix you might want to just replace it
Old 07-18-2012, 03:32 AM
JS_Electric

I am using 40D from last one year. Its a great camera. But, its repairing may be out of your budget.