Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

If you need Photoshop help...

Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: If you need Photoshop help...

Please keep this thread on the subject of Photoshop.

If you have a question about cameras or camcorders, you should start a new thread.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 AM
ChiefK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second that.....

Have you heard that CS4 beta is about ready to be released?

ChiefK
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
xjqkz

ORIGINAL: richg99

re the movie camera question....While I rarely use the movie features...for about the same dollars... Canon also has the S5. Those who use it for movies love it. It has the very powerful added attraction of a 12x zoom...(36mm to 432mm) without changing any lenses.

I have the S3 (predecessor model) and I think it is the best bang for the buck in P&S cameras. I've used it for a few short movies and the quality is excellent for my purposes. One, great, all-around p&s camera, in my eye. regards, Rich

Wow compared both of them and s5 is definately the better of the two!!!

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:20 AM
MinnFlyer

Hadn't heard that Chief, but I'll be looking forward to it.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:29 AM
BobReeves

OK Photoshop question.. I found this on the net some time ago and have been unable to find the site again. What I would like to know is how to create the dropped inside effect. I don't really care about the outside pattern or the blue cutout but really like the dropped border around the blue background.

For testing I created a shape layer with a simple circle and played with Blending options, Bevel and Emboss and every other style I could click on but haven't been able to duplicate this frame. Could it be made up of several Beveled layers?

Oh ya... Using Photoshop CS2..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95720.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	997199  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 AM
MinnFlyer

It's fairly easy to do, but complicated to explain.

I started with a blue background and added a layer (Layer 1) with the water image on it - of course, you can use any image for the frame.

Then I drew a path for the shape, made the path a selection and deleted the selected area from Layer 1

Next, I went to Layer>Layer Style>Bevel and Emboss and gave it an Inner Bevel with a depth of 181, Size 5, Angle 120, Altitude 30

Then, in the Layer Style pallet (The same one you just used to create the bevel) select Drop Shadow - Angle 120, Distance 0, Spread 7, Size 3

Now, duplicate the layer (Layer 1 copy) and clicked the "Lock Transparency" block (at the top of the Layers pallet) and painted it white. Then, put Layer 1 copy under Layer 1

Now go to Edit>Transform>Scale and pull the Top-Left and Bottom-Right corners in just a little to make the open area just slightly smaller. I also moved the layer 2 pixels to the right and two pixels down (Hold CTRL on a PC or the Apple key on a Mac and hit the arrow keys to move one pixel)

On Layer 1 copy I kept the same Bevel, but I changed the Drop Shadow to 100%, Distance 0, Spread 13 size 3

Now, make a copy of that layer (Layer 1 copy 2). Place it behind layer 1 copy and go to Edit>Transform>Again

Once again, move it two pixels over and down, but this time, change the Bevel to Style - Emboss, Depth 101, Size 16

Voila!

Name:	Xv65112.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	997225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67205.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	997226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94696.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	997227  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 AM
MinnFlyer

If you send me your email address in a PM I'll send you the photoshop document so you can see the individual layers
Old 07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
BobReeves

Fantastic, PM sent... Great help, I wasn't even able to get one layer looking like your first one.. The light seemed all wrong but now I think it was because I had the Size too large. That is so cool, thanks..
Old 07-28-2008, 10:06 PM
bigfella

G'day Mick, I'm so pleased I found this thread.
Mate, I'm doing an F4u-5 in 1/5. For a while now I have been collecting fotos of the instruments used in my variant, in varying states of repair.
I thought it would be a simple matter to process/rejuvenate these pics and bring them to 1/5 scale. I aquired a bootleg copy of PS 7.0, but as a puter novice, I have little or no chance in understanding some of (even) the terms and words used.
I have managed to get the lassoo tool working and seem to be able to make a transparent background sometimes.
I just tried to upload a couple of examples here but it seems I need instructions on that first.
I need to restore color and reduce glare on some. Others have dusty evidence of condensation beneath the glass. All of them are pretty grotty.
Any chance of, 1. Telling me how to post images on this thread, and 2. Some sort of step by step guide on how to make PS work, to restore my guages?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 AM
MinnFlyer

Read the link below to learn how to post images. Then post what you have.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2629917/tm.htm
Old 07-29-2008, 06:27 AM
bigfella

Hey Mick, thanks for your speedy reply.
I'll try again. Here are a few of my instruments...
I don't know if anything happened then...
Cheers for now. Glenn.

Name:	Pn36252.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	999943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26337.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	999944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72536.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	999945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42137.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	999946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84481.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	999947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96737.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	999948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52520.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	999949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic85191.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	999950  

Old 07-29-2008, 08:11 AM
MinnFlyer

This is really tough. Between the bad condition of the gauges, the bad images and the bad angles that most of them were shot on you'd be better off drawing them from scratch using the pictures as a guide.

Here is one that I touched up and one that I drew - each one took about an hour and you can see that the drawn one looks a lot cleaner

Name:	Bz78196.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1000006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92033.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1000007  
Old 07-29-2008, 12:19 PM
ChiefK

Glenn,

I'd take a shot at this, but Mike is right. There will be a lot of work involved and the posted image quality is poor. Can you provide the full size images (one at a time as private messages), and would you be able to reshoot the instrument with glare at an angle where the glare is not present? I'm assuming that the full size images are sharper and have better resolution. The attached image is Mike's correction, extracted from the cluttered background.

Greg

Name:	Om33386.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1000112  
Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 PM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm It seems to me...that you could go to an aircraft catalog and see if the instruments sold today are similar. Scan the catalog and use that scan to make the face of your image. As this is for a one-time, private; non-full-size aircraft use, you might still want to ask permission of the catalog provider to use them if such a use bothered you. rich
Old 07-30-2008, 12:44 AM
bigfella

Thanks a lot guys, for your help.
The way I see it, by the time these pics are brightened up a bit, reduced in size, to 1/5 (7/16" and 5/8"), printed on plain paper and covered with clear plastic and then buried in black bezels amongst a lot of others, does the fine detail really matter?
I have no way of ever touching a Corsair, of any variant. Every pic that I have, comes from three years of scouring the web. Every time I find an image, I download it. That is why I have two or three of some examples and am still wanting for a few others.
Mike, I much appreciate the effort you went to.
Yeah, what I have , at the moment is what I'm stuck with. There are instruments available in 1/5. I like the look of the Inspan sets. I was figuring on getting together as many of the 'generic' type guages, and supplimenting them with the fotos of the items I can't get.
That combination temp/fuel/oil guage, for example, I cannot find commercially and would be happy with the dial face and needles, printed on a 5/8" black circle. It is my intention to make the hardware that surrounds it.
Rich, mate, I did try a few catologues, but mostly found full screen electronic displays etc, maybe need to look a bit harder.
Greg, I'll go through what I have and find my original images. Hopefully they will have better resolution.
Thanks a lot for the help you guys, Glenn.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 AM
richg99

BigFella. You might try EBay motors for aircraft (and other ) gauges.... here is one that I found with a quick search...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...3756.m14.l1318

regards, Rich
Old 07-30-2008, 07:47 AM
richg99

Big Fella.... Just so happens that I am leaving for the Oshkosh, Wisc USA Experimental Aircraft show this morning. I have my camera along.. I'll try to get some pix of various instrument panels. Who knows, I may run into a Corsair!

Anyhow, In a couple of days, I hope I have some shots for you. regards, Rich
Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 AM
richg99

Big fella... One more thing, to while away your hours...Assuming you are using Windows (any one of them). Go to ACCESSORIES; load up MS PAINT or just PAINT.

Load up one of your shots and mess around with IMAGE RESIZE. Put in various percentages (both ways) . That should get your sizes right. Don't forget to SAVE AS with a slightly different name, or you will over-write your original pix. I usually re-name things DSC12345resized etc.

With Paint...you can do wonders without any cost. It is rudimentary compared to PS Anything..but..it IS simple and easier to learn.

By using the "lasso" type tool ( be sure to check the "see-through" box on the bottom of the screen...) you can pick out a detail; copy it and paste it right over a smudged part of the picture. Fool around with some throw-away shots and you can learn a lot. I ran a little class here showing people how to remove a person from a picture and substitute a grassy field in their place.

regards, Rich
Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 AM
richg99

Big Fella...I have a hundred or so images of various gauges from the real airplanes at the air show. They are all large images. I can post some on my FLICKR site (richg99) If you'd rather .....I can send them to you attached to an email..... I can do that. I don't think that I can post very many on this site (limited to ten??) Let me know your pleasure. regards, Richg99

Old 08-02-2008, 05:57 AM
bigfella

A big thankyou to you Rich99. PM sent.
Regards, Glenn.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:08 AM
richg99

Glenn, I am posting up 22 different gauges on my flickr site. I figured if you needed them, many other r/c modelers could also use them. You can just go to

http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

and right click on any picture. You should get the choice of "save picture as" you you can then put that picture onto your computer where ever you want it. PLEASE let me know if that process does not work..and we will find another way. I have even more, but these were the best ones. I have straightened; darkened and sharpened each pix... If you need some other treatment, let me know. regards, Rich
Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 AM
bigfella

Hey rich, thanks a lot, there is a couple there that I can use, and the rest will be stored away for safekeeping.
I have decided that when I have a definitive 'set' of -5 dayfighter guages, I will post them on either this site or RCSCALEBILDER, where my build thread is.
Regards, Glenn.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 AM
richg99

Big Fella, let me know what you are missing. I have a couple of dozen other images that I didn't post, since they were not quite as good quality. I have the entire cockpit from a Ford Tri-Motor. They would not let me take pix of the Corsair's cockpit, though. regards, Rich
Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I need some photoshop help, i am making a forum signature and i need help putting my background and my truck together so it will look similar to this:

I have taken the background out of the picture (background around the truck) that i want to use, the background is now checkered. When i put the pic of my truck onto the background i want the top to stick out like the example above.

Thanks,
Damo
Old 08-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.