Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

HALOGEN LIGHTING

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:31 AM
lunbom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HALOGEN LIGHTING

Is halogen lighting conducive to good photographing with digital cameras or a liability? If not, then what would work better?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:15 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HALOGEN LIGHTING

With digital you can usually set your white balance point for various lighting conditions such as incandescent, fluorescent, halogen, daylight, etc. Also you can sometimes take RAW images then adjust white point based on lighting conditions in programs like photoshop.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:13 PM
lunbom

THANKS, I'LL TRY THAT. I HAVE SO MUCH TO LEARN, SO LITTLE TIME.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:31 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also..some cameras will let you set a custom white balance. You shoot a white piece of paper under the current lighting condition and this will take some calculations and the camera sets the WB.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:51 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

In my home photo studio, i just used the standard workers lights. I get pretty good results. Lot less yellowish hues then standard lights. I made a cheap defuser to soften the light a little. You do need to adjust the white balance with those lights a little but, im pretty happy with the lights. And i didn't spend hundreds of dollars. I got one dual head halogen for like 30 bucks and 2 single head lights.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:06 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

I use a 34" SOFTBOX halogin light source. Manufactured by LOWELL. They call it a RIFALITE. Mine has a 1000 WATT lite bulb in it. In fact, I have been using this unit every day since I got it three years ago and still using the same bulb.

YES, you can use it with digital. However, remember that you have a color balance to deal with. Most digital cameras automatically correct for the color shift that it may or may not produce.

Normal color balance should be DAYTIME at NOON. or 5500 degrees KELVIN. You White Balance will cover you... In fact go one further, you can even use it with motion. A strobe flash that goes on and off in an instant would be brutal trying to shoot a movie. LOL

I hope that helps you. If you need to dig any deeper, just yell

marwen