Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Digital Camera & Photo Editing
Reload this Page >

New Olympus has a major software problem

Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

New Olympus has a major software problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Olympus has a major software problem

I purchased an Olympus D580 digital camera, and although the camera is nice the software is miserable. Being used to the much older Olympus software, I thought it stunningly inadequate that the new software does not allow any picture manipulation beyond the childishly basic rotate, and resize...but the real deal killer is that the new Olympus software does not allow you to access your photos into photoshop or corel, etc...and does not allow you to access them to your email either. So, after you take your pics...you can only look at them on your computer..or TV, and print them...not modify them...not even crop them...and you cannot even download them to a disk or other media. I took the camera back for a full refund. Oh yes...I even spent the additional bucks to upgrade the stock Olympus software to the higher level "pro" version. It still didn't allow access to my photos. I refer to it as the Olympus "Unlockable Photo Vault" . So....who makes a good 4 to 5 megapixel camera with good optical zoom etc...AND has software that is powerful and user friendly, and will allow me to email my pix.
Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Jim
Old 02-11-2005, 12:28 PM
J_R

Default RE: New Olympus has a major software problem

Something isn't right. Try this. Find a photo file and right click on it and choose properties. See if the read-only or hidden attribute is set. If so, uncheck the box(es) and then try loading it into your other software.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Olympus uses an SD card, pull the card and put it in a card reader.
Bypasses the proprietary camera software completely, with any luck at all.
I have several cameras which use the SD card, and this reader thing with all of them.
I believe there's also readers for the other types of cards.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim, on my Olympus C-750 UltraZoom, I plug into the USB buss, put the mode switch on play back, and push the power on button. The red light on the camera flickers briefly and then on the computer I open the removable disk (USB) folder. The photo files finish downloading and are displayed. They can either be in TIFF or JPG format. I then can move these files anywhere I want and edit them or send them as attachments to e-mail.

Did your software not work this way? I agree with JR that something is not right and I doubt that it is the Olympus software. I have the Olympus Camedia software on my computer but it is so basic that I almost never use it.

Ken
Old 02-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Capt Jim

I cannot find a "read only" or "hidden" attribute anywhere. This software does not operate like the old Olympus software, and remains quite mysterious....user unfriendly...unless you happen to be an engineer. I have obviously been able to download the camers into my computer...but although I can look at the pictures...I am unable to identify their address, location in my computer, , and therefore unable to drop them into an email...or any other software. Olympus seems to keep them quite effectively hidden. I am not computer illiterate, and do not have these problems with many other software items, so it is my contention that Olympus has done themselves, and users a disservice with this new issue.
I have gotten rid of the camera and am seeking a new one with software that is easy to use....like their older one was.
Thanks.
Jim
Old 02-13-2005, 10:49 AM
J_R

Hi Capt Jim

Let me take one more try at this. I certainly don't mean to imply that you don't know what your doing.

Click start, then search, then "all files and folders. Under "all or part of the file name", type in *.jpg then click on "more advanced options". Check the boxes marked "search system folders", "seach hidden files and folders" and "seach subfolders". Then click search. This search should turn up every .jpg on your computer. It will also give you the location, for future reference. Once you find one of the picutres you are looking for, check the atributes, as described above.

Unless you uninstalled the software, you should be able to find the pictures. If they are on the computer, you might as well know where they are.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Tall Paul

This is an excellent image finder-cataloger..
It finds -all- the images on your computer.
http://www.picasa.com/index.php
Old 02-28-2005, 08:14 PM
racetruck

I have the olympus c-700uz 10x the software hard to work if at all .I don't use it a guy I worked with had an epson printer it has film factory software with the printer so downloaded it .Then I used the usb to my c-700 open film factory went to new roll name import down to e drive and copy it would put it in that roll real easy to use I like epson printers . I went out and got the epson photo 925 with all the card readers in with the printer. also Tall paul said something about picasa I just downloaded it that looks like alot of fun to work with! Iam with you on olympus software i don't like it
Old 02-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Capt Jim

I too have downloaded Picassa, and it is fast and easy to use. I have all of my photos in there now. The Olympus camera with its miserable failure of software went back to the store and I will not buy another Olympus camera. I still am looking for a new 4 to 5 megapixel camera, but the problem is that you cant see their software until after you buy the camera, and I just dont want to go through that enormous hassle again.
Jim
Old 02-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Tall Paul

I picked up a "DXG" 4M at Radio Shack... good price, poor camera.
Doesn't have a good distance focus.
OK for head shots but not much else.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Capt Jim

Thanks for the warning...I don't have much use for Radio Shack products. They seem to specialize in poor quality.
jim