Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

Fast lense for under $400

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:06 PM
webdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast lense for under $400

Im looking for a lense for my Canon Rebel XTi thats fast for shooting rc cars on the track. What would anyone recommend for under $400?
Thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 PM
NCBrit

Default RE: Fast lense for under $400

It's a little more than $400, but I would recommend the canon 70-200f4 L. For the price it's an excellent lens, and will give good results.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:59 PM
webdr

Thats funny, I was looking at that exact lens except the one I want has IS. Im going to get it!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:04 AM
NCBrit

The 70-200 f4 L IS is just over $1000 new. If you have found one in the $400 range I would be very careful about it. Does the one that you are looking at look like this? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...4L_IS_USM.html
Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 AM
webdr

Do you think the f4 will be fast enough for rc cars? also, most shots will be taken no further than about 30 feet, is a 200mm zoom too far or is that just right?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 PM
storytime

Are you taking photos inside or outside? If outside, the 70-200/4 is an excellent choice.

If you're trying to shoot indoors, f/4 will probably be too slow. A faster aperture (lower number) will give the autofocus sensor more light to work with and you will have more shots in focus. Lenses with an aperture of f/2.8 and lower will give you the best results for fast moving objects. Also, the more of the frame that the car fills up, the better the autofocus will track the car, so a longer lens is better.

I would recommend renting or borrowing the 70-200/4, if you're happy, it's a great lens to have. If it's not fast enough, I'd try the 85/1.8 prime, it's under $400. It is a wonderful lens, and would double as a great portrait lens of your gf/wife/kids/cat whatever.

There are some online rental outfits that aren't that expensive (especially compared to the cost of buying the wrong lens). lensrentals.com and borrowlenses.com are two.

Make sure you use the sports setting (the running man icon), it will give you the best AF performance.

Cheers!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 AM
webdr

great info Storytime, thats what I needed!
Old 08-03-2007, 04:10 PM
max_borrowlenses

ORIGINAL: storytime

I would recommend renting or borrowing the 70-200/4, if you're happy, it's a great lens to have. If it's not fast enough, I'd try the 85/1.8 prime, it's under $400. It is a wonderful lens, and would double as a great portrait lens of your gf/wife/kids/cat whatever.

There are some online rental outfits that aren't that expensive (especially compared to the cost of buying the wrong lens). lensrentals.com and borrowlenses.com are two.

Cheers!
Hi,

My name is Max and I am the co-founder of [link=http://www.borrowlenses.com]www.BorrowLenses.com[/link]. Storytime, thanks for the shout-out! Webdr, I wanted to let you know that we have both the 70-200 f/4 and 85 f/1.8 in our inventory list and you are more than welcome to try it out. Let me know if you have any questions.