Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

DSLR combo for wife - Xmas gift

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:59 PM
idoxlr8-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSLR combo for wife - Xmas gift

Looking for Xmas gift for wife. Taking suggestions on the various DSLR combo I see in the $600-$900 range. I'm happy with my pocket Sony p200. She has a Olympus 560z that she enjoys. Looking for better wild life photos. Any thoughts are welcome. thanks.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: DSLR combo for wife - Xmas gift

Lots of possibilities in that price range...

Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Nikon D5000, Pentax K-x, and others (Olympus, Sony, Etc.)

My preference is the Nikon, but that's just personal, you can't go wrong with the Canon, but remember, once you buy the body, you're buying into a line of lenses , and they will probably cost you much more than the body, over the life of the camera. Specs change monthly as new models come out. My D300 is, at one year old, already "ancient" but far more camera than I'll ever use.

Combos usually include one lens, such as a 55mm, which won't help you much, or two lenses such as an 18-70 and a 70-200, and those may be of more use but a little more expensive. Kit lenses are generally ok, you need to decide how demanding the photography will be.

See a retailer such as Beach Camera... www.beachcamera.com or others such as Amazon, etc. Be careful of "grey market" importers who import cameras intended for foreign markets and sell them for great prices, but with no USA warranty or missing some nice feature such as a battery.

Look at the specs and choose the one that does what you want. Good usable DSLR's can be had with lens for $500 on up, so spend wisely. If you have $6000 Canon and Nikon both will gladly accept it.

P.S. Just remembered the thought about wildlife photos...if it's action, moving birds, running animals, etc. you're going to need a long, fast lens and that means money money money. Nikon telephoto lenses can be $1000 to $2000 and other brands are similar. If it's stationary, such as a perched bird for something sitting still, cheaper long lenses will do and they're 1/4 to 1/2 of the price. $250 will buy you a half decent slower lens.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:49 PM
ChiefK

My Canon EOS 10D DSLR is about five years old but is still a GREAT camera. I put a Canon 28-135 zoom on it to cover most everyday shooting. The way it's working, it's hard to justify buying a new one. You'd probably need a longer lens for wildlife. You might consider a model or two older to save some significant money.

ChiefK
Old 11-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

ChiefK had a good thought. If a fast telephoto lens is necessary, cameras one to three years old can be purchased for a fraction of their initial cost on the used market. Lots of people have the need to buy the latest and greatest toy, and dump their two year old camera to do it. However... and this is important, the camera body won't be expensive, but the lens will. Good fast lenses don't decline in price. A three year old fast telephoto lens will cost just about as much as a new one, if it's in good condition. In a way, you look at what you want to shoot, select a lens that will give you the shot(s) you want, then select a camera that the lens can use.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Juice

I recently read something that paraphrases what Jim said... You buy the camera body (it will depreciate). You invest in a good lens (it will keep it's value).

Not too long ago, a friends of mine bought at Canon T1i with two kit lenses for under $1000... The lenses were 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 and 55-250 f/4.0-5.6. Both with image stabilization.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 PM
MarkGrabowski

I'll agree... Lenses are forever, bodies get replaced every few years...
If you havent' yet, check out:

www.dpreview.com

pretty good site, imho

Bottom line, take your wife to a very large camera store (not the small ones in the mall) and have her try out several "pro-sumer" camera bodies... she will gravitate toward one and then go from there...you really can't go wrong these days... the stuff is all terrific!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
slickcb2000
My Feedback: (2)

Nikon D60 FTW!!!  I bought mine last year around this time.  Me havingno idea how to use it, seemed to pick it up pretty fast.  Great camerafor a beginner.  Mine came with a 18-55 lens, i opted to buy a 55-200lens also.  Have had nothing but good to say about it.  I just recentlypicked up a external flash for it, word of advise... get a flash soon. Over the past year I could have used it a bunch.  Works a lot betterthan the popup built into the cam.  Hope this helps.  Also it'sdecently cheap.  Can get the whole kit with both lenses for around 800new.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:19 PM
idoxlr8-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...0uzsp600uz.asp

Thanks for the posts guys. Was just going to Nikon 5000 it and be done with the whole thing. However, I couldn't figure out the whole mm to Xzoom thing. I know the DSLR would probably net better end results, but the whole lens thing would get out of hand quickly. She already uses a 560uz and loves it. I see Olympus is coming out with a 800uz. I might have to check into it. That"s over 800mm on tele. Anniversary is in March.