Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Nyala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor upgrade?

The snag with a boom or similar extension added asymetricly to the DF frame will cause an uneven loading on the entire platform which will cause exsesive wear in one motor ( unless you counter balance it but it all increases the weight of the platform ). Maybe you could try an LED ( strobe ), it would be more elegant than a flag or boom ?

Pipefish, its your motors that are weak for whatever reason. I would replace them first before you try anything else.

I was almost going to say "trust me"
Old 07-13-2004, 04:48 PM
Pipefish

Anyone could please indicate me an Hobby Shop that delivers worldwide and are cheap?
Old 07-13-2004, 08:45 PM
CanadaKen
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Guy's!

Nayala is correct here.
I spoke to Mike at Spectro and he said the same thing. That it must be a crack in the board. So for $50us (includes shipping back and a set of extra blades) they will fix the problem.
I asked Spectro to supply and solder on the green lobster-eye lights which came off. And to supply some male/female battery connector clips (can't seem to find them anywhere here)?

The battery connector extention is a great idea and a must for this weak point on the board. Can you share with us (a picture) of the extention piece.

Oh well, I guess we all get here sooner or later.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:46 AM
Nyala

Try this shop Pipefish, http://www.hobbypeople.net/ They claim to be the cheapest and they ship anywhere. Ken, I will post a pic as soon as the DF comes back from Spectrolutions. I am in Germany and it always takes about 6 weeks before the DF returns home. I sent it last week. [sm=tired.gif]

I need more flying machines........
Old 07-14-2004, 08:13 AM
Doppenisse

Hi!

I'm new to this group, but have been reading news here for a while.
i do [sm=drowning.gif]own a DF4 and love it.
I've thinking of replacing the original DF4 motors with brusless for more lift, less weight and longer fly time. I need help to find brushless motors that fits the original DF4 gearbox and rotors.
Have this been done before by people in this newsgroup?

regards
Dop*****se
Old 07-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Pipefish

Í´ll check Hobby People.... (TY)

Well if we all have DF, what about we all build "together" an easy "clone" of it ?

I was thinking how cheap would be an electric RC that carries two motors in front (side by side) one running CW and other CCW (to compensate torque). A third motor (little one) on the tail that turns to both sides, making the model go fornt and back.

What about it people?
Old 07-14-2004, 03:02 PM
CanadaKen
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the help!

I shipped my DF board this morning. It will take about a week to get there and they said they will ship back within 3 days with express air shipping. This should have it back in about 2 weeks time. Thank goodness the guy's at Spectrolutions are teriffic to deal with.
I guess some rough landings etc...caused a crack in the board. I still think it's that stupid battery connector (as Nyala mentioned) that puts stress on this fragile board.
I hope this doesn't happen again cause it gets very expensive to repair and ship and I couldn't afford these costs each time someting goes wrong. My DF is only a few month old with maybe 1.5 hours total flying time on it.

Nyala, I await a pic of that connector...thank you.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Pipefish

Guys, I´ve been thinking of this thing on the batt connector.
What about an extension (1 inch) attached with this connector and on the other side a Deans Ultra Plug?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:38 AM
Nyala

Dop*****se, it would be lovely to go brushless on the DF. It is however not possible with the board as it is. You will not be able to change the ESC's on the DF to handel brushless motors. It will be easier to build a complete new platform with 4 Brushless ESC's.

Sorry to destroy such a good idea, but I have also researched that angle
Old 07-15-2004, 04:04 AM
Doppenisse

Nyala, thank you for your comments.

If I've understood correctly DF4 use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control motor speed.
Are you saying that there are no PWM ESC for a brushless motor to purchase?

Anyway. I've been thinking of building a DF4 clone with brushless motor like many other on this forum have done before.

I wounder if any of you bother to put up a website about how to make a "DF4" like RC unit.
containing partlist, wiring diagram etc...I believe there are many other like me who don't have all nessesary knowlegde to build one from "scratch".
Old 07-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Pipefish

Dop*****se, why you don´t that planet motors?
Remember that the brushless also have 3 wires.

What about my idea of a deans connector?
Old 07-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Nyala

Dop*****se, you can have a look at the thread in this link, it explains the differences in the motors ESC. The website is a good idea. Someone who has made a flying replica of the DF should do it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#1617089

Pipefish, your idea for the plug extension is what i did with mine but I used the same DF connectors, I found some here in Germany. I guess if you make the extension by cutting off one of the plugs off the DF batteries, you can then connect any king of connector you like on the other end as well as the battery.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Pipefish

Yes, that was what I mean.
You think I´ll loose any signal in 1 inch of wire attatched in a Deans?

What about the 3 motor project?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Nyala

I think its ok with 1 inch, my extension is about that length too. Can you draw a picture of the 3 rotor idea you have. I am not quite sure how you see it.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Pipefish

Just like an Osprey but with a rotor tail that is horizontal and turns to both sides to give the forth and back moviment
Old 07-17-2004, 05:46 PM
dantesquest

Hi again all! I got my DF about a week ago.

My first night out I broke a rotor and a nylon screw lol! After replacing the damaged items, I ordered another 2 sets of rotors and screws. I've also bought a couple more batteries and made a battery extension off the main board with a Deans connector and the original DF connector that came with the battery. I was worried that it would look cheap, but it's rather nice now that it's mounted. I plan on painting the rotors rather than using the decals to give it a cleaner look. The Scotch tape you guys mentioned to repair nicks in the rotors works well on my "training" blades. I got with an aquaintance who flys gas helis and he's helping me develop a better landing gear for the DF that will be kinder to the frame/board. Nothing major, just something other than the plastic studs at the bottom - there's not a lot of soft grass in El Paso to land on. My next concern it all the dust/dirt here. When ever I'm done, the DF is covered in a fine powder. I'm going through LOTS of canned air lol.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Pipefish

Space, no more news from you!
Everything´s ok?

Regards!
Old 07-25-2004, 02:53 AM
dantesquest

Nyala's instructions for removing the throttle ratchet were great! Many thanks.

By the way, I've found some spray on rubber coating that should adhere well and won't flake off as as the blades flex in the air. I've already coated one of my spares - it's a nice look thus far. I'll see how it handles tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Pipefish

This rubber coating it´s like the one´s to cover the holes of a flat tire?
Old 07-25-2004, 09:31 PM
dantesquest

It's called Plasti Dip from a company called Performix. I found it in the spray paint section of the hardware store. I attached the blade that I coated (the front blade) and did some flying with it today. It performs well and really helps me to tell which way the DF is oriented since the coating is black and the other blades are still white. I also re-attached the ratchet. I'm just not experienced enough to handle the throttle without it, but I plan to remove it again later.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Pipefish

Tell me when you start to make "nose-ins"
Old 07-26-2004, 08:38 PM
awolf

Default RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Hi.
I've had a Draganfly IV for a few months and was glad to find this forum...
I have a few things to add and a few questions...

1. Are you guys aware of the following website?

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~u014734/speciale/

If you click on "Simulator" you will download a Draganfly simulator (works on a Windows box) .
If you click on "Bilag" you will download a detailed analysis of the Draganfly's hardware and software.
Unfortunately the former has controls for individual rotors, not yaw/pitch/roll/throttle. Still, it's fun.
Unfortunately the latter is not in English!

2. I'm wondering about the value of sanding rotor surfaces. I've used rotors from Draganfly Innovations
and Spectrolutions, and have never bothered to sand surfaces, even after they've been fairly dinged up
in crashes. Doesn't seem to have affected flight very much, but I haven't timed my flights with new vs.
dinged up rotors. Anyone seen much difference in operating characteristics?

3. I *may* have seen a weird change in my Draganfly in the last week or two... It has to do with landing
by descending straight down. I'm aware that one has to compensate for moving through downdraft, and I
got pretty good at dealing with this by giving a last minute burst of throttle as I was about to hit the ground.
But in the last week or two it seems that this has become harder to do... That is, it tends to accelerate
down faster and needs a really big throttle blip to avoid a crash. PERHAPS this is because I'm now flying
higher than before, and am simply seeing the results of more time spend accelerating downward. Has
anyone had the same experience?

4. How about creating a usenet newsgroup specifically for Draganfly owners? Nice to have a place
just for us...

alan wolf
Old 07-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Pipefish

Hy Wolf,
I thought that the simulator was very bad, nonsense at all...
About the the blades, I´ve been making my own blades for months and I use Expanded PVC to it. In my case, the sanding increases the performance.
I didn´t got what you said about the "descending". You mean that it falls rapidly to the ground?
Everybody here would love to create a usenet group, I did not make it yet because my english is not that good to do so.

Regards
Old 07-26-2004, 10:57 PM
awolf

Well, I suspect they got the physics right (based on the accompanying technical article) but the simulation certainly isn't very user friendly. And it can't help as a trainer.

If you land the Draganfly while moving horizontally, you descend through still (motionless) air, and can lower gradually.
If you land straight down, you can't easily go down gradually, because you are moving through the downwardly moving air generated by the rotors.
What I was saying was... recently, this effect (the acceleration downward) seems to have gotten bigger.

As for the usenet group, I don't mind doing the legwork.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Pipefish

Awolf,
check out to see if your motors venthole are not obstructed by the magnets - yes they fall from the original position - and check if you have a normal land or flight again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.