Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Old 08-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Captain Pugwash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Hey There People ... sorry i havent been on for a while ive been very busy working....

ive made a little movie for you all to download and watch, its made at my RC nitro truck club.. " www.maxxnorthwest.co.uk"

this will show you the true quality of the cam that comes with the DF as you will see it suffers greatly from "sun blur"

Hope you like the Movie though.. "Explicit Lyrics from the start"

Right click and "save target as"

Enjoy!!!

[link=http://www.maxxnorthwest.co.uk/videos/dragancam.wmv]Click >>>>HERE<<<<[/link]
Old 08-23-2004, 06:43 PM
phoglite

Dante - What are you using to improve over the eyecam? I just got my eyecam airborn and am disappointed w/ the results. They look nowhere near the quality I see on the draganflyer site, partly due to vibration but mostly it just looks like washed out, as though the sunlight is too bright. I'll see if I can post an example. I'm interested in what you've done w/ your setup. I'm hoping the vibration can be curbed w/ some rotor balancing which I have yet to do.

Pugwash - Cool video, thanks for the post. Is your original picture that dark? Were you using the eyecam? Is it me or does that video just not look near as sharp as what they post on rctoys.com???

-Phog
Old 08-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Captain Pugwash

hey phog..

you are right m8 the pics are not what they post on rctoys sight...

wot you see is my DF with all the trimmings that came from DFI ... i must say the eyecam is "not" what i expected ive made several videos with the eyecam attached to the df and also to some of my planes have a look [link=http://www.maxxnorthwest.co.uk/videos/TheFlight.wmv]click >>>Here<<<[/link]

you will see what i mean when you compare footage from the df to footage from the plane, they both shoite!!!

[>:]
Old 08-23-2004, 11:33 PM
dantesquest

Hi Phog and Pug,

Pug - Great vids. and cool stunts! I see what you mean about the sun blur. I experienced the same thing over here, but with added breakup in the picture.

Phog - I replaced the Eyecam (made by ALM) with a high-resolution version of an Ex-View (made by Sony). The transmitter I'm installing is rated at 250mw (compared to the 10mw of the Eyecam) and the receiving antenna will have a 30db gain and a much wider pattern. The new camera is also sensitive enough to shoot footage at night where the Eyecam was completely unusable. Even though the DF is said to be able to carry 4 oz, it's not nearly as maneuverable with that much payload. So, I had to redesign the power system and replace the cabling to try and shave off as much weight as possible. Once the system is mounted, I'll post some pics for you guys to see. If you're going to put together your own video system, my only advice at the moment is to purchase an electronic scale and be certain to keep the total weight as low as possible. That's been the biggest hurdle. Personally, I'm aiming for no more than 2 ounces - and less if I can manage. Most of the pre-made higher quality systems that are available are just too heavy for the DF4. I suppose that's why they offer the DF X-Pro, but at $6000 it's just ghastly.

Fly on gentlemen. [8D]
Old 08-24-2004, 06:50 PM
phoglite

Dante - Very cool! Where did you get all of the parts for your project? For example, did you get a board camera all on it's own or did you have to buy some sort of retail package and hack it to get the weight down? the more I look at the eyecam, the more I realize how horrid the quality is on that thing. The stated resolution of 250k is a new benchmark for me - on the lowest end of the scale. Mounting out on the arm is probably not the best idea either. I think something closer to the center on the battery tray would be a big improvement. I can't wait to see some pics of your setup! -phog
Old 08-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Pipefish

Dante,
can you send some links of your new video equipment?

How much you spended for buying them?

regards
Old 08-25-2004, 06:54 PM
phoglite

Did anything ever come of the Newsgroup idea?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:12 PM
awolf

> Did anything ever come of the Newsgroup idea?

I'll try to do that in the next week or so.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:44 PM
dantesquest

Hi guys. Just a quick update. I haven't been able to work on the DF as I've been out of town for several days. Still, I'm happy to say that my parts have arrived - carbon fiber for the transmitter and cables for the receiver/antenna. I'm at about 1.9 ounces at the moment and I'm thinking of going with a lighter camera (still a Sony) to bring the weight down a bit more. My new target is 1.4 ounces which is double the weight of the eyecam coming in at only .7 ounces. I'm just trying to keep the DF as nimble as possible. When it's complete, I'll post what and where for the parts. [8D]

I'm thinking of calling it the Draganfly 4.5 lol
Old 09-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Brucca

The transition from Hover to FFF blade clipping is caused by the loss of lift associated with the retreating blade (causing the blade to !QUOT!droop!QUOT!) of a rotor pair coupled with the change of pitch attitude effectively !QUOT!raising!QUOT! the boom arm. Thus only the retreating blade will clip a boom and only during rapid transitions. The same effect should be observed during rapid transitions in sideways or rear-wards flight where, once again, the retreating blade of the leading rotor may clip the boom. For a more graphic illustration of the effect a video is on the WWW of a USMC CH-53 clipping its refueling boom with its own rotor during a rapid attitude transition. As my old helo test pilot buddy Helmut used to say, "You do this in a Bell and you're already dead".
Old 09-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Pipefish

Guys,

I think weĀ“re lefting a major problem aside.

We gotta manage some way (an effective one) to make our DF more visible at high altitudes. We gotta do also a nice identification of the front or rear position on these high altitudes.

IĀ“ve thought about a carbon fibre rod painted...

... anyone have any other sugestion?
Old 09-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Doppenisse

Hi Pipefish!

At high altitude it will be difficult to see colors, so a change in shape will be better.
I use to have a stripe of black tape that runs from the front boom (at the motor end) to left boom. and another tape stripe from the front boom to the right boom. In this way my DF4 looks like an arrow from below. See the illustration below.
Besides stripes of tapes is lighter than carbon rod.

M Left
x t
x t
x t
x t
MxxxxxxxxxxxxxM Front
x t
x t
x t
x t
M Right
Old 09-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Pipefish

Hi Doppe,

I think your draw was corrupted by the forum shape, isnĀ“t it?

Can you make a draw (a hand draw) ?

Regards
Old 09-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Doppenisse

Hi Pipefish!

I have taken a picture of my DF4.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49706.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	170413  
Old 09-05-2004, 09:28 AM
Doppenisse

t
Old 09-05-2004, 09:55 AM
phoglite

Dop*****se - Nice job! That's a great idea. I'm curious about your blades. Are those just painted or do you have some kind of carbon blades on there? -phog
Old 09-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Pipefish

Hehehe,

thanks for the pic.

Dope, IĀ“ve changed that cheap connector that I see on your pic by a Deans.

Your pic makes a an impression that is made from CF. ItĀ“s just the paint?

What are those "silver dots" along the CF arms?

Regards
Old 09-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Doppenisse

thanks folks!

The silver color is from the duct tape that I use to wrap around the prop to make it last longer. I've tried different type of tape and found that duct tape works fine.

the silver dots on the CF arms are small pieces of duct tape that i used to hold the electrical wires in place. I've taken the wire outside of the CF rods so that I can easily change the broken CF rods without unsolder the electric wire to the motors every time.

I've also moved the red LED down between the green LEDs to protect it in case of crashing upside down.

Finally I've protected the motors bottoms with small pieces of soft foams ( that comes with electronic equipments) and duct tape.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 AM
Brucca

Dop*****se

How does the duct tape affect performance, stability, controllability, flight time? Do you use 2 pieces of tape and make a sandwich or do you wrap the rotor? - the pic looks like a sandwich to me. It should certainly stiffen the rotor and reduce clipping.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:32 AM
Pipefish

Dopppe, the foam on the motors donĀ“t make them get hotter thatn normal?

You mean the you had cutted a small round (circle) foam with the same diameter (large) than the botton of the can and glued it there?

You told that you broke the CF rods (as I can imagine) few times. What makes me think that you fly very high and fall down from there to broke. How high youĀ“re making controlable flights?

Regards
Old 09-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Doppenisse

Hi again!

The foam at the bottom of the motors are 1cm in width ang height, lengt is the same as the diameter of the motors. I taped the foam piece with duct tape so that the tape stripe only take about 3 mm in the rim of the motors. (I'll post pictures later).

About the CF-rods. they didn't break in two but they split because of the crash. the highest altitude my DF4 has ever been from the ground is around 15m.

About the duct tape on the props. I just wrap it so it cover whole the upper side from back to the front edge, then wrap it from the leading edge to the under side so it cover a tripe of 1cm. (I'll post pictures later).

Of course duct tape will add more weight to the DF4 and therefore reduce the flight time a little bit. I stille can flight more than 15 minutes on 1 charge. I've 3 batteries so...
More weight to the props gives more gyro effect and make the DF4 more stable to flight. But it makes the DF4 react a bit slower. But it saves me a lot of props.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:10 AM
SenseiTG

Default Draganfly community

Hi all, new draganfly owner here... been reading alot on this forum and I find that alot of people have alot of ideas on how to repair, replace parts and modify the draganflyer. Problem is it's all rather scattered across different threads and hard to find as well as mixed with information regarding other crafts. My thought is wouldn't it be nice to have a draganfly community with forums, lists and project rooms based on problems and questions just regarding the draganfly.

I'm just writing to check for interest in moving alot of your ideas and stuff that is already here - to a new site...
I happen to be working as a software developer and create sites like theese for a living so I would happily throw something together if interest is high enough. Would also need some people as moderators that can help sort out and sum up information for the moderated lists, would not be able to do this on my own.

Some of the ideas i have:

DF owners map (function)
Find fellow draganfly owners in your area.
DF modifications (project + comments)
Done a major modification to your draganflyer? Open a project site!
DF replicas (projects + comments)
Built/building your own draganfly like craft? Open a project site with pics and videos here.
DF replacement parts (moderated list with submit)
What can I replace the battery with? Motors? Screws? Links to hobby sites, prices, part no's etc...
DF repair tips (moderated list with submit)
How do I repair a broken boom? Post your suggestions and experiences here...
DF flight videos (moderated list with submit)
Videos and explanations of everything from basic moves to advanced stunts.
DF common problems (moderated list with submit)
Battery not working? Draganflyer very unstable?
Here you will find checklists and troubleshooting hints for basic stuff that often goes wrong.
DF beginners help (forum)
Having trouble at the start your learning curve? Get some tips from the experts.
DF problem solving (forum)
No help to be found on common problems? Ask the experts.
DF general discussions (forum)
'nuff said

List of terms (moderated list with moderated posting and suggestions)
90* hovering? Vertical risers? Styrofoam? FFF, PWM?
Not everyone knows english or common rc flight terms that well...

Well... comments please? Bad idea? Good idea? Interested?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:41 AM
AeroRecon

Good idea...but....
It has been proposed several times before. THIS forum seems the defacto standard, though. I like it because I am notified whenever anyone posts....I have to remember to check so many things now this is one that just pops up and I go read and post and see what's up. Sites require maintenance. If you are a developer you know this. Forums just need posters.

Not trying to discourage you and others may feel different but just stating my own opinion....and we all know what those are worth! [8D]

If something gets organized and others DO use it, I may be there too. Just have to see. I may even be able to help. Work and home and part-time jobs (also site dev and admin stuff) take most time but there is always more, right?

Allen
Old 09-20-2004, 09:59 AM
SenseiTG

Notification e-mails are part of the plan, don't worry about that

Also I already have servers up and running that performance wise could easily handle a site like this including outgoing emails.

Perhaps though, as you say it would not work since this forum has become more or less standard but still it would be nice to have *some* of the stuff on a separate site... leaving the forums up to rcuniverse and simply use the new site as an informative database on DF issues that people could easily refer to using links in messages when questions are posed here. If I were to do this I am planning on copying alot of the information here straight to the new site to get a good base (with credits to original authors of course, which will be linked to the users if they join).

The real reason i would want to start this site is that i've been reading here on rcunivers for at least 5 hours per day for 3 days to make heads and tails of alot of questions and problems i have as a beginner. I'm fairly confident that other newbies also have a bunch of questions. I found most of my answers but a dedicated site with the information listed straight up (gathered and summed up by admins/moderators based on suggestions posted by users) would have been helpful. Almost like a Draganfly quick-school and guide to everything there is to know about the draganflyer from battery charging to advanced trick-flying.

I suppose another problem would be spreading the word, but I have noticed a few very active users here on draganflyer issues that might want to help.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Pipefish

Hello Sensei,

if youĀ“re a sensei I presume you make some martial Art. I do AIKIDO. So, we know what honor and dedication means. ThatĀ“s why I trust you to do this exclusive site.

For more than a year IĀ“ve been planning a DF IV. I bought it 6 months ago. But I live in Brasil. So everyhting is toooooooooooo expensive to buy in originals. I got tons of info to

share. LetĀ“s make this site PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

If you make the topics you said, EVERYONE will prevail. Even Mr. Zenon and his guys. ThatĀ“s because weĀ“ll improve the quality of a model with no concorrents (till now).

Do it man, and IĀ“ll suport you everyday, ok?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.