Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Old 09-13-2005, 11:24 AM
markjester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Holy Moly that thing is sure nice and small. I would agree. The video really shows the vibration. Like most of us, you will have to come to some sort of conclusion in regard to vibration isolation. Personally I am impressed with the knowledge all these people have on this thread. We are all working towards that elusive perfect video from the flyer. We are all going in different directions and sharing what we learn so that others can benefit from our research. I am going with fluid isolation myself. But first and most important, the mount and camera have to be protected from any crashes that may occur. I may be a good flyer but Ti s#*t happens and I don't want to be fixing or repairing an antenna every time something goes sideways. Good find with the camera\receiver set... MJ
Old 09-13-2005, 04:57 PM
poorjohn6

Hi all...

Have a question and a suggestion:

Does anyone have a link to a FMS Simulator model for the DF?

Came up with a very needed cushion for my DF for learning. Yes I know none of you need one, but I do and thought I would pass it along. I folded up some bubble wrap to form a 1 foot square about 1 inch thick. In the center I added another 4 inch square about 3/4 inch thick. By placing the DF in the center and attaching rubber bands under the first square with Christmas ornament hooks to the frame you have a great beginner's crutch. I have been using it and the DF just bounces in a hard landing on the garage floor. I would include a picture, but don't know how.

John
Old 09-14-2005, 12:05 AM
markjester

I have it. It does not like my futaba transmitter but I have both the xpro and the df. Let me know if you want them. Maybe they would work better for your equipment.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:50 AM
scottslc

Hey John, good to see your df made it to you. Sounds like your having fun. Whats an FMS Simulator model?

Scott
Old 09-14-2005, 12:59 PM
poorjohn6

Yes I would like it. I use a hitec and hopefully it will work. Other models in FMS do work just fine.

John
Old 09-14-2005, 01:05 PM
poorjohn6

FMS simulator is a free flight simulator with loads of aircraft models, including helicopters. As it is open source, many gifted people (not me) design model additions for planes not included in the base software. These additions are free also. With the correct cord, you connect your transmitter to the computer and then are able to 'fly'. So the only cost is the cord.

There are loads of source for FMS, one is www.tti-us.com/sim

John
Old 09-14-2005, 01:21 PM
yvesOttawa

The DF and Xpro models are available for download from the rctoys.com/parts website. http://www.rctoys.com/private/FMS/Dr...FMS_Models.zip

The FMS is great to practice on if you are just starting out with RC. But I found the DF and Xpro models just don't compare to the real thing with turbulence and air pockets of flying outside. Yes you can add these effects up to a certain degree but don't expect to master the "real beast" just 'cause you mastered the software. It is fun flying the DF inverted though (through SW)
Old 09-14-2005, 06:04 PM
poorjohn6

Thank You for the link. I did download it and installed it on a newer version of FMS I got from the FMS home page. Have not worked with it other to make sure it was available withing the program. It is.

Scott, should you want to look at the program, the url is: http://simulator.home.pages.de.

John
Old 09-15-2005, 10:35 PM
yvesOttawa

Hey Guys,

I just created my first vid of our neighborhood and would like to share. Haven't added music but would like to add a track at some point like you video pros out there (you know who you are). Hope to make another but a little higher (scary stuff, I needed alot just to fly above the roof like that .

Anyway, here is the link http://rcsurveillance.bradatech.biz/...3_750_cut3.wmv
Old 09-16-2005, 08:39 AM
stevel0923

I was trying out Googles new Blog search engine and I came across the following site for Draganflyer that seem pretty interesting.

[link=http://blogsearch.google.com]http://blogsearch.google.com[/link]

[link=http://www.andybrain.com/extras/draganflyer.htm]http://www.andybrain.com[/link]
Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Hunter850
My Feedback: (1)

yves, good looking video.... Your camera is very steady for filming. What are you using for the camera and is it attached to the DF in the normal mode or did you modify it.

Mine is very wavy, I am currently experimenting on trying to mount it in foam attached to the legs underneath.

Vid seems a bit better but wind is up here a bit to much to get some good flying in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74190.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	324746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35633.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	324747  
Old 09-16-2005, 12:38 PM
yvesOttawa

Hunter, no I tried the articulating mount only once and couldn't believe the amount of vibration so we (me and a partner) decided to work on isolating the camera from the rest of the DF. I'm not releasing the design until we're confident that we have eliminated most. The posted vid you saw was a flight that had a bit of wind so the sideways motion removed from the overall quality. Most if not all of the left to right vibration has been eliminated. Unfortunately by doing so, now we have a bit of vertical vibration that had to be removed with software. We would rather not use software to stabilise/remove noise because it also removes alot of the detail from the images. Of course compressing the vid to a .wmv also removes detail but unfortunetaly a 30MB file doesn't post very well on the web.

Let me know how well your foam approach works. FYI, we decided to go with a spring/swivel head mount approach.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:44 PM
yvesOttawa

Stills also came out acceptable for the resolution this little camera puts out.

http://rcsurveillance.bradatech.biz/Aerial.jpg
http://rcsurveillance.bradatech.biz/Aerial2.jpg
Old 09-17-2005, 12:12 AM
sixstringlz

Did you modifiy these pictures any or do anything to enchane them? How large can you make them and keep that quality? Also has anyone ever tried a small digital camera, or is that out of the question? Thanks
Old 09-17-2005, 12:25 AM
RCFUN!

Hey Guys should I Buy a X-UFO First or Just save the Money and put it towards a Draganflyer??
Is a Draganflyer THAT MUCH BETTER????!!!! FOR THE PRICE???

Also I am still trying to understand all the activating you have to do each time for the Draganflyer??
Is the Thermal (TI) the same thing as Self leveling, because it sounds like there is also an activation for that as well???
And also , you have to Activate the Self Landing Feature??? Should that not always be Activated??? and has anyone tried it out??

So all together there are Three things to Activate each time????

And here are a couple for questions I was wondering about??

In that SuperDrop video on Dragans page, when the guy stops the power to the rotors and starts the free fall, is the "TI" spinning up the rotors as need to keep it level even thou there
is no input??

Then on the one that shows the guy smashing the remote control?? how is the Dragan staying up in the air with out input?? then it flys down after a while, whichI guess is the self landing feature?? So why did the DRagan in the Superdrop video not hover when the guy stoped the imput and safely land?? I thought that is what the 'TI' was for??

Just trying to understand everything before, you know, dropping the cash!!!

Thank you Guys.....
Old 09-17-2005, 08:40 AM
yvesOttawa

The Aerial2.jpg still was pulled from a single frame of the video, no touchup (742x512). This is the MiniDV resolution but not the camera. The Aerial.jpg pic was reduced to 640x480 because it is closer to the Eyecam Extreme resolution so it is more representative of the video's true resolution, no touch up.

The actual video (link) was cleaned using software to reduce some vertical noise from vibration.

A digital camera would be too heavy. Plus, the extra weight causes the motors and rotors to work harder, therefore causing more vibration. Less weight (also with smaller battery packs, we use the new 1320mAh as per RCtoys recommendations) means less work and less vibration for the DF.

Cheers
Old 09-17-2005, 08:55 AM
yvesOttawa

The new DF VTi have a switch on the remote to enable/disable Ti whenever you want. This is the only "activation" as you mention. The Ti super drop shows the DF self level even when throttle is cutoff. Yes the rotors would be spinning somewhat to ensure the DF is level at all times. Some DF owners have come across flaky Ti leveling in that the heli starts to oscillate and eventually flips over. I have never come across it personally but switch Ti on only when in trouble then turn it off to regain control.

The transmitter smash vid shows upon the loss of transmitter signal, the DF will land itself. There is no activation here but automatic. Dragans super drop still has a transmitter signal, therefore the DF will only perform the auto leveling but the altitude control is still up to you as he demonstrates it.

It is important however, that the Ti is properly calibrated before each flight if you are to use it. As the manual mentions, before arming the DF you must point it to the sky with eyes facing up to make sure it can properly differentiate between the earth and sky. If both green eyes are lit, then arm it. Next you will place the DF on a level surface and pull the left joystick all the way to the bottom and right. The green eyes will flash and indicate to the DF that this it is level so it can use it as a reference when it attempts to level itself.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:30 AM
RCFUN!

Hey thanks for the Info!!!

The DF v Ti PRO version is the only one that comes with that switch thou right (the TI Switch)??

And what would you recommend me to do?? Buy a X-UFO or Save the extra ~ $200 and put it into getting a Draganflyer??
Anyone that has both the X-UFO and Draganflyer, can you tell me your opinions on them? Thank you...
I am wondering about the X-UFO, because the guys that already have Draganflyers are still thinking about getting a X-UFO (Good Version),
Is it that good??

Thanks again!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 11:45 AM
yvesOttawa

ORIGINAL: RCFUN!
The DF v Ti PRO version is the only one that comes with that switch thou right (the TI Switch)??
Yes that's right.

ORIGINAL: RCFUN!
And what would you recommend me to do?? Buy a X-UFO or Save the extra ~ $200 and put it into getting a Draganflyer??
I can't recommend not to get the X-UFO since I've never seen one. They do look like cool toys but can't carry anything. If you want to capture aerial video then save the $200 and put it towards a DF.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:18 PM
thecheatscalc

hey I just had an Idea. if you made a long arm (1-2 foot) with a small weight at the bottom and budgelessly attached to the center of gravity on your dragonflyer it should cut almost all vibration on the machine itself as the weight resists shaking. but the only problem is that it will resist leaning and you'll have to hand launch it.. but at least the camera will always be steady.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:09 PM
yvesOttawa

More stills and another video at 80ft. I had one of the neighbor's dog barking at my DF when it was up that high. He probably thought it was a squawking bird coming for him

http://rcsurveillance.bradatech.biz/DF_sept18_cut.wmv
http://rcsurveillance.bradatech.biz/Aerial3.jpg
http://rcsurveillance.bradatech.biz/Aerial_front.jpg
http://rcsurveillance.bradatech.biz/roof_insp.jpg
Old 09-18-2005, 07:46 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Any of you consider suspending the camera via posts with rubber bands? That would remove all vibration and almost act like a gyro stabilized mount .
I may end up using a method similar to this when I rig my digital camera up to my eco-8.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:56 PM
yvesOttawa

This is the 720x480 version of the above vid.

http://rcsurveillance.bradatech.biz/RCS_maxres.wmv
Old 09-19-2005, 02:33 AM
davidtkal
My Feedback: (1)

Great video! So what are you using for a mount?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:16 AM
stevel0923

Draganflyer Flyer CARBON FIBER Blades for $90 on Ebay (until 9/27/2005 PST - Midnight)

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6000656890]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6000656890[/link]

using 10% "CELEBRATE" coupon with Paypal payment

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.