Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Old 11-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

I have a question as to the blades,you refer to them as foamies but the blades that came on my Ti Pro were a thin flimsy plastic and when they broke there was not much to glue together,now the blades on my Hirobo Xrb are foam and it does not look anything like what the DF's blades look like.Is there a real foam blade or are they all the same and really a plastic instead of foam?As for price,these blades are the most expensive plastic I have ever purchased,I have purchased 463mm CF blades for my Voyager E for far less than what 5 sets of these cost,and as easy as they break,buying less than five sets is lets just say unintelligent,because you would be ordering every other day.Just a hard sit down will crack or chip a blade let alone a crash.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:14 PM
yvesOttawa

They are more pressed foam than plastic. Plastic would shatter, these "tear" off more than anything. I have had them tear off very cleanly (if I can say that). So as far as gluing them back together, I didn't see too many pieces chip, most of the time, the blade would break when setting it down too hard. I am no longer landing the DF on the ground but in my hand so I don't break too many of them. Unless I fly indoors then the ground-based landings still happen.

Of course my rooftop crash oblitterated the entire set in a million pieces, but can't really say I've been going through blades lately They are now taped where the blades are the narrowest and most likely to snap. This has helped me quit a bit in the confidence department.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Moe3754
Banned

I have nothing but chipping and cracking but no tears at all,and sanding the blades does not help,it throws off the CG of the blade if you sand to much.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:52 PM
yvesOttawa

I have to say that so far, I've only used blades from rctoys (Canada). I had received a crash kit with my DFVTi Pro set. I have yet to try Mike's Spectro blades. I received the "free" set when I got my board back. They are unsanded and appear to be made of different compound than the rctoys.com ones. Is this the kind you have? from Mike?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Moe3754
Banned

I only purchase from Canada because the shipping is free and I buy my blades in packages where as that mike only sells a set at a time and for what he charges it comes out saving me money buying from rctoys even though the blades are quite expensive at both places.I never got a crash kit I had to go bare bones when I purchased mine I did not have a lot of extra money to play around with,would have loved to have had the camera but the bucks just were not there to do it.OH WELL!!!![&:]
Old 11-17-2005, 09:32 PM
No Stick

ORIGINAL: bramill

is there any major benefits to having the draganfly v ti pro instead of the draganfly v ti
Hi bramill,

I posted the same question and haven't seen any post to refer us to a good analysis. Is it much better with the beefed up frame reducing vibrations when using the camera? Some of the videos I've seen still show vibration.

There doesn't seem to be much difference between version III, IV and V. The receiver is built into the board. Does the Ti V Pro fly more stable using the 2000 mA Lipo vs the 1320 mA?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:03 PM
poorjohn6

RC Toys has a great comparison chart of the three current models at:

http://rctoys.com/pdf/draganflyer-comparison-chart.pdf

You will also find the link on their page on the DF.

Should answer your questions.

Also, I note they have reduced the price of the V! Could this be the prelude to a newer model????

John
Old 11-17-2005, 10:36 PM
No Stick

ORIGINAL: poorjohn6

RC Toys has a great comparison chart of the three current models at:

http://rctoys.com/pdf/draganflyer-comparison-chart.pdf

You will also find the link on their page on the DF.

Should answer your questions.

Also, I note they have reduced the price of the V! Could this be the prelude to a newer model????

John
Tks John for the update. Just out of curiosity, what was the old price for the DF V?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:50 PM
poorjohn6

$995.00, USD

[
[/quote]

Tks John for the update. Just out of curiosity, what was the old price for the DF V?
[/quote]
Old 11-18-2005, 08:52 AM
No Stick

After reading thru this thread I find many references to replacing motors after 10 - 20 hours of operation. The consensus is to replace all motors at once to get optimum flying characteristics.

My preference on my shockys is to go brushless. Is there anything in the rumor mill about brushless motors for the DF? I realize sensorless ESCs are required.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Hunter850
My Feedback: (1)

Moe3754, I put plastic electrical tape on the leading edges of my foam blades and then used a blade balancer. Bought some different color tape at local dollar store. This also helped a bit for orientation. Sure made a difference keeping the chips and cracking down to a minimum.

I also order parts from RCToys, being from Canada I get my order within 2-3 days at a minimal cost for shipping. Prices still are not the best so I have also bought some parts from E-bay and got some really good deals.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Hunter850

no stick ,

When I bought my DF they upgraded my order for the DFv to the DFvTi pro board at no extra cost along with the 6 chan tx. I don't know why but I did not question them. Maybe they were out of DFv at the time or maybe they are slowly phasing them out. That was back in May of this year.

food for thought.... my DF works perfectly.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:39 AM
roxyboby

hey hunter! what's a blade balancer?? wud like to get one.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Hunter850

Top Flite Power Point Balancer at Tower hobbies LM1356 Top Flite Power Point Balancer $19.98 US

Works Great on DF Blades
Old 11-21-2005, 01:37 PM
scottslc

Hey Poorjohn, up for some flying over the hollidays?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:25 PM
poorjohn6

Hi Scott. Sent you a private message, at least I think so.

We are planning to go to Provo for Thanksgiving, but that may change. Give me your Blackfoot number and SLC number so I can call should we stay home.

John
Old 11-21-2005, 03:30 PM
roxyboby

hi david. I am interested in the CF blades you build. How much do u sell them for and importantly, can you ship them to africa??
Old 11-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Hunter850

LiPO Battery Charging.

I was on another site and reading about battery charging for LiPo's.

Came across this: [link]http://www.laureanno.com/RC/fire-pics.htm[/link]

I had been charging my batteries in my DF and leaving them alone but from now I am going to change my habits before something like that happens.

Was wondering what you others are doing as far as battery charging?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:16 PM
scottslc

I plug them in and leave them also. Since these things take at least an hour to charge it's not like I can babysit them. Do you guys use the charger from draganfly? Is there a better one, advantages?

Thanks, Scott
Old 11-22-2005, 12:32 PM
yvesOttawa

I charge them up in my office on a metal stand. I don't use the cheapo yellow charger but the flashy Thunder Power one. It beeps to let me know when the LiPo is fully charged. I also beeps continuously if there is a problem with the charging cycle (happened a few times) where you reset the charger.

I like the ceramic pot with a lid idea though. May reconsider charging these things out in the garage now that I've read the article Hunter brought forward []
Old 11-22-2005, 12:38 PM
SgtBilko

I have always used the DF charger, and I charge my Flyers with the batteries installed. I had one DF charger go dead once (made a constant beeping noise, would not charge, did not want to take any chances so tossed it...). I have four LiPoly batteries and always charge them on a cement floor in the basement away from any walls or anything flammable. It seems my charge times are almost always between 15 - 30 minutes, not usually any more than that, so most of the time [X(] I am busy with something in the basement area and stay near the batteries when they are charging. I never leave them charging overnight and (usually) never leave the area when they are charging. I too have read horror stories about LiPoly batteries. I think one key is being very aware of the status of your batteries, do they get too hot, do they take too long to charge, do they not show full voltage when charged etc - if any doubt about failing battery status, I do NOT use them or charge them.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:45 PM
yvesOttawa

Also, what is the best way to dispose? not just toss in the garbage I hope [X(]
Old 11-22-2005, 04:54 PM
SgtBilko

ORIGINAL: yvesOttawa

Also, what is the best way to dispose? not just toss in the garbage I hope [X(]
Well, here's what RC hobbies says...
- NiMH: place in regular trash.
- NiCd: recycle (cadmium is toxic).
- LiPo: puncture plastic envelope, immerse in salt water for several hours, place in regular trash.

and here is what trick r/c says...
Disposal of polymer cells
Discharge all cells individually to recommended cut-off voltage of 3.0 volts per cell. Cells may become warm or hot during this discharge process. After cooling, puncture the cells and immerse in salt water for several hours. Apply tape over one terminal and dispose of in the trash. Incinerating or disposing of polymer in fire is strictly prohibited.

I took the couple I had last year to the "battery recycling" pickup drive they had at a local school.

The other option, of course, is to mail any bad batteries back to RCToys
Old 11-22-2005, 05:37 PM
yvesOttawa

Puncture the cells...Really? [:'(] Man, I was told since I was a little wee guy to never do that with a battery. I like the "send back to RCtoys" idea best
Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
scottslc

Been flying in the cold here. Fun, but the cold sure does a number on the blades...

Scott

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.