Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Old 12-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Sky High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Global Frame

Maybe you could do something like this and cover it with a fine mesh screen allowing air to pass through and paint it to look like metal or whatever.

Global Frame
http://www.eddiem.com/toys/rcplanes/.../carbon60.html

Images
http://www.eddiem.com/toys/rcplanes/...165crp_std.jpg

www.eddiem.com/toys/rcplanes/carbon60/ball1.jpg

http://www.eddiem.com/toys/rcplanes/...162crp_std.jpg

Old 12-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Sky High

Landing Gear

Kuzer, that DF landing gear is really cool! It really does make it look like a bug. How difficult is that gear to make? How much does the extra hardware weigh and how involved is the modification? Could you post some video of it landing to see the shock absorbing effect? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:12 PM
kuzer

Thanks Sky High for the ideas for the shroud and comments on my mods.
It is not difficult to fabricate using carbon fiber tubes in all of the assemblies. I had to cut the stationary landing gear and attached the CF rods with clevises. The springs are from Delta faucets that I had lying around. The weight is negligible as it flies better with about the same flight times using the stock lipo. Sorry, but I don't have the resources to do a video.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:40 AM
roxyboby

hi kuzer. I want to check out your landing gear but couldn't find the pic. Where have you put the pic. You could mail me at [email protected]
Thanks
roland
Old 12-13-2005, 06:23 AM
kuzer

Go to my post and click on my gallery . For some reason it won't let me upload the files to the discussion forum so I uploaded to my gallery.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
scottslc

Hey Guys,

How has your flyer been reacting to the cold? We're in the lower 30's here in Utah. I sure break blades easy and battery life seems short.

Scott
Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
yvesOttawa

Yep..same here. Switched to CF blades and metal screws. Don't need a senseless crash to happen. Still like to fly it outside. Indoors is just plain boring.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:28 PM
scottslc

also switched to metel screws. had a motor go bad. ah the joys of backup parts...
Old 12-13-2005, 01:48 PM
yvesOttawa

There's nothing much you can do about a motor all of a sudden quitting. Unless you replace them after every 20 hours of flight like rctoys say. same goes with the main gear bearings wearing out.

But when a blade just snaps or a nylon screw gives out, that can be totally avoided.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Sky High

[color=#3300FF]Hello scottslc. It's been in the 20's and 30's at night in my area too in the last couple of weeks. My DF flies much better when it's colder as far as handling and Ti. Mike, at Spectro, said that the DF will fly better at night when it's colder because of the differing temperature of the ground and sky with the ground being much warmer providing a good contrast for Ti to calibrate with. Since I taped my rotors, a one piece sandwich with open end back, I have had several frame strikes in those cold temperatures leaving only black marks on the tape but absolutely no chipping damage whatsoever. I wish that I had done that sooner. Are your wings taped? If not, I highly recommend it.color]
Old 12-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Sky High

scottslc. When your motor went bad, was it just a gradual loss of power that day, over time or did it just stop and cause a crash?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Hunter850
My Feedback: (1)

Sky High, I have been using CF Blades for some time and have experienced some blade hits on the support frames as well. This seems mostly with higher winds and also with faster manouvers.

To eliminate this I made the bottom supports a bit longer to give strength to the blades. These supports came with the CF Blades. They are made out of foam similar to the normal blades. I used plastic (credit card thickness .030 for the bottom supports).

I would think this would work with the foam blades as well.

I tried flying last week before the big snow hit us and they worked very excellent. No Hits so far.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71847.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	369935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24517.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	369936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95637.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	369937  
Old 12-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Hunter850
My Feedback: (1)

Here is a site I found for some flashing LEDs. Price seems OK

http://www.amdhobby.com/product_info...roducts_id=596
Old 12-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Has any one tried this High-intensity light wire that glows strong at night.I found it on a online hobby store for around $14.99 for 1M of it and it is called cold light.The place where I found it is here http://www.helihobby.com/html/extras.html it is about 13 items down the page.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Sky High

Hunter, you must be pulling some serious Gs to make CF blades hit the frame like that! I was just about to get a set of CF blades because I was tired of chipped blades due to the smallest strikes until I realized how effective taping them is. They still strike but no damage at all so far. Where did you get your CF blades?

Moe, thanks for that link. I finally saw where to get that glowing rotor kit. I had seen that used on a larger helo but didn't know that it was a custom rotor kit prewired with lights.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Moe3754
Banned

Does anyone have pictures of the taped blades I have taped XRB blades before but that made them so heavy I could hardly get it off the ground plus what does the extra weight do to the motors and the CG of the blades??Even with heat sinks they get really hot,and I have even drilled holes in them where they cover the motor ports.Well it is all a moot point until I get my board and Transmitter back from RC Toys the board died and the transmitter trim sliders were really loose so they said that they would replace both at no cost to me but shipping.Six weeks to get to Canada by USPS is crazy though what are they doing walking it there????[&:]Also is there any place to get CF blades that takes more than Pay-Pal I will not use them and so I cannot purchase from people that only use them and the extra cost of a money order is not worth using them.Not that I am Cheap(ya right[X(])but I do not want to pay extra just to have someone fill out a money order when they get paid for it anyway.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Sky High

What are XRB blades? I am talking about using standard packing tape. The weight is hardly noticable. I will post a picture of my blades shortly. See the related post below.

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3615255
Old 12-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Moe3754
Banned

Xrb Blades are the foam blades on the Hirobo XRB Coax heli,it is a stress reliever that I fly around the house and play with when it is cold outside,here is a link to how to laminate XRB Blades. http://www.geocities.com/rickyblaze_...ed_blades.html they use the same kind of tape on them but it is hard to balance the blades after you do it.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:22 PM
kuzer

I have not been able to figure out how to fabricate a shroud but did change the canopy to make it look more"spacey". Again, it wont let me upload to the post so I will upload to my gallery.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Sky High

Kuzer, I don't think that Ti is going to work properly with that new canopy. The IR sensors won't be able to penetrate that translucent material. I shifted my clear canopy, after the front tab finally split, barely obstructing the sensors and it lost Ti calibration. I think the shifting of the canopy in flight moving in front of the Ti sensors may have contributed to my last incident of instability with the tree. Afterwards, when I noticed the split hole, allowing fore & aft canopy shifting during flight, I intentionally moved it in front of and away from the sensors and the status LEDs went off and back on respectively like a switch. So obstructing the sensors does affect Ti.

If you can make Ti sensor ports, then all you have to do is put some random colored LEDs or just one bright one that glows under that new canopy, like the robot in Lost in Space, and it will look even spacier.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:42 PM
kuzer

I plan to cut out the areas for the sensors. I just like the look of the rounded canopy better.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Sky High

Moe, the pictures I made were good but they just didn't show much detail of the tape on the rotors because it is so clear. The hardest part is getting the tape to conform to the curves especially near the trailing edges. You sort of have to start the application at an angle because curves will make the tape change angles anyway when you close the sandwich. You'll see what I mean. When you're done, the tape will adhere perfectly at first but give it some time because flexing, temperature changes and humidity will start to work on the adhesive. Bubbles may occur at the curved areas underneath and near the center as well as underneath near the tips. Just take a pin and puncture the bubbles or lance them with a small cut and then press back into place. The tape will conform better to the curves that way.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Sky High

Kuzer.

Yep, it is very interesting looking. It hides the hardware and makes it that much more mysterious! Another thing that would be cool would be to put some kind of light in there that scans around. I like that landing gear the best though. You might want to tell the makers about that and see what they say. Anything to make landings smoother. Does the landing gear clear the frame of the video camera?[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Moe3754
Banned

It sounds just like the XRB lamination of the blades and what about the added weight does it affect the GC or the air foil of the blades???The added weight to the heli blades on my coax really overworked the motors and caused really bad over heat of the motors does that happen here???I know that there are a lot of questions I just do not want to have to replace the motors because they burn out faster because of the weight.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Sky High

Moe, asking questions is how we learn more about the complexities of this machine. I had plenty that were answered here. I was so happy to find this board to finally hear other accounts of flight experiences and tips and very happy to hear that I wasn't the only one shredding rotors in midflight. I have been flying with laminated rotors for about 3 weeks now and have had several frame strikes from rapid descents and aggressive maneuvers from long distance reorientation from overcorrecting. If you read my posts and detailed accounts of my flights, you'll see that I have been in the air quite a bit and sent the DF on some long hauls. Now I don't do trick flying but I'm sure that's more stressful on the motors than long steady flight which is what I do. There have been no balance issues because you are applying the same amount of tape on both sides, top and bottom and one 360 wrap in the center to cover the edges of tape from each side and strengthen the center. Just make sure that you sandwich it and that the open end is at the trailing edge. This open end back provides a very smooth leading edge and no chance of seperation from air getting under the tape. It did take a long time to do this right and I decided that there was no way that I could spend that much time on each rotor, much less a full set, again and was not looking forward to laminating others. But, I have been more than pleasantly surprised with the durability of these laminated rotors. The folks at DFI recommended doing it long before I finally did and I could kick myself in the butt for not doing it sooner because I could have saved alot of rotors that got chipped and broken from the smallest strikes. Considering the amount of flight time that this laminated set has provided without any chipping, deforming or discoloration, it is well worth the time and effort. You won't regret doing it!

NOTE: I am still using the same nylon bolts that I installed out of the box!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.