Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Draganflyer Battery & Charger Issues

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Draganflyer Battery & Charger Issues

Old 01-06-2006, 05:11 AM
Sky High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Draganflyer Battery & Charger Issues

Draganflyer V Ti Pro Transmitter / Lipoly Combo Charger Issues (as of this post date)

When I first got my DF, I used the DFI combo charger and would only get 30-35 minutes of flight time from my HiTech Laser 6 Tx. This was frustrating after waiting for a 14 hour charge for the Tx. What was worse than that was that all 3 of my flight packs were outlasting my Tx so I had to go home and wait another 14 hours to fly again after getting only 35 minutes of flight time.[&o] Well, I told DFI about this and they agreed that something was definitely wrong and said that I should be getting at least a 1-1.5 hours out of the Tx pack. So, they sent me another battery and a HiTech wall charger for the Tx. WOW!![X(] What a difference that made! I am now able to stretch the use of the Tx over about 4 days with about 2 hours of flight time per day. I turn the Tx off between flyer pack changes and cool down breaks. So, I guess that's partly why it's lasting so long. With two Tx batteries I can always be flying! Apparently the DF charger was not providing an adequate charge to the Tx pack so if you are or have experienced this issue, that is/was probably the problem. Another way that I prolong flight times in the field is to use an inverter in my truck with two Lipoly chargers to always have a fresh battery in rotation. DFI also offers a DC adapter for charging Lipolys in the field. There's nothing worse on a great flying day than having to go home just to charge batteries.

One more thing for new DF owners. If you are using the yellow DF charger for Lipolys, you must unplug the wall unit (10-15 seconds) or remove the power lead (5 seconds) from the yellow box until the status light goes out. Plug the power lead back in and the light should blink to indicate that it is ready for charging. This is in the manual but failure to reset the charger each time will result in a wasted hour of charge time and even worse, downtime that you could be flying!
Old 01-06-2006, 09:03 PM
targit

Default RE: Draganflyer Battery & Charger Issues

Hi, straying away from the intended topic of this post a little, but the title sort of covers it, how many people have had to replace their battery ( LiPol ) and after how many charges? (roughy)

Also, Here in Perth, Australia the temperatures are pretty high right now ( 90F-100F in the shade) the manual says not to leave the LiPol in the car beacuse it might get hotter than the max recomended of 140F , I measured the ground temp. with my IR thermometer yesterday, it was 155F, so I've been flying (learning to hover) under the big tree in my back yard for shade.
What are peoples real world experiences with high temperatures and LiPol ?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Sky High

After what I have read and seen in a demo video about Lipoly cells when not charged or handled properly, I never leave my batteries on the charger unattended. I have a timer that tells me when an hour is up and I hang around a few more minutes until they top off and then unplug them. The only time mine have ever gotten really warm are right after a typical 13-15 minute flight with no break. One good use for these really warm packs are that they will warm your hands and fingers on a cold day or night.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Hunter850
My Feedback: (1)

I rec'd a 1320 li-po with my DF Vi and it only lasted about 10 flights before I got really reduced flying times. From initally about 11 down to 4 before finally giving up on it. Called RC about it when it started working less but they did not offer anything. So I ended up buying a 2000 mha Lipo.

I purchased a Triton Computerized charger by Electifly and use it to charge all of my batteries now. Checked the 1320 on it and basically is is garbage.

The 2000 mha from rctoys and it has been working fine giving me about 14-16 mins flying time.

My batteries do not get hot when charging but they are fairly warm after flying and here the temp is around 0- 6 deg C. It is the nature of the beast. I would be concerned more about the motors heating up when flying in high temps for extended periods.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Sky High

I must have the best luck in the world because I have gotten at least 70 flights each out of 3 Thunder Power 1320 mAh packs over the last 3 months with each flight being 12-13 minutes nonstop and up to 15 on a windless day. I guess I get long consistent flight times because I don't do aggressive flying, just hovers and slow cruising. Hunter, do you do alot of aggressive flying?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Hunter850
My Feedback: (1)

Hunter, do you do alot of aggressive flying?
Sky High,

No, my flying is mostly hovering in around the trees in my backyard. Actually I have only just started doing spins while in hover. I believe my initial battery was garbage from the beginning. The 2000 mha works excellent with about 15 mins flight time. I haven't really timed it for max but after about 15 mins I am ready to rest my brain anyways. I just ordered 2 new 1320's and heatsinks from RCToys as well.

I finally found a bunch of electric park flyers nearby who fly at local ball fields and gyms so I am looking forward to fly with others for a change. I also have a Blade CP, CX and I bought one of RC Toys Vortex extremes which I am anxious to try as well.

Hunter
Old 01-16-2006, 06:57 AM
targit

I thought my flight times were getting a little short so I checked the charger output, never got over 10.5Volts during a charge cycle.
Next time I tried to charge my battery it just refused to work.
I took a look inside and found the charger was a piece of crap, very poor construction compared to the DF itself. once I untangled the mess on the PCB I found the output transistor was dead (and looking at the thing I don't think I'll bother repairing it)
Next I charged the battery using a current / voltage controlled PSU and it charged up just fine
So it looks like the battery can take the heat but the charger can't. :P
Old 01-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Sky High

What kind of charger was that problem child?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:24 AM
targit

The little yellow one that comes with the Draganfly, and has "Draganfly" on it in big letters, hence my comparison to the DF itself
Old 01-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Sky High

Why did it have to be their charger? That's just something else I have to worry about burning my house down! [:'(] How old is yours, maybe they will replace it for you. As stated in my first post there was an issue with it charging the HiTech Laser 6 but apparently that was found to be a compatibility issue with that particular product.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:03 AM
targit

I dont remember the exact date I got it, but it's definitely under a year old, and I don't think I'd want another one of them.
I either have to splash out for a more sophisticated unit or build one myself, depending on which is cheaper