Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Gotta Love Those DF's

Old 12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
techrtr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta Love Those DF's

Went to an indoor fly-in yesterday. Was a bit nervous about flying there because other than hovering in my living room, I haven't flown indoors and I'm not very good at flying without TI. There were about 7 copters, mostly T-Rex's and a couple of Blades plus my DF. At the end of the evening, my DF was the only one left flying. All the other copters were wrecked in pretty spectacular crashes most of which happened when the pilot wasn't doing anything particularly aggressive. Just lost it in hover or a side slip and it was game over in a real big hurry. I've had some pretty bad crashes with my DF but the damage was far less severe than any of the T-Rex wrecks in particular. Things tend to blow apart in a big way when those things come down and the blades hit the ground.

Anyhow, I would much rather fly outdoors than inside and I will definitely get way better at flying my DF before I get my hands on something like a T-Rex.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:23 PM
TheHindmost

Default RE: Gotta Love Those DF's

Great story!

So what did those single-rotor weenies ( ) think of the DF?

Will
Old 12-18-2006, 06:40 PM
techrtr

They all thought it was pretty cool and a nice stable flyer, and that it would be really difficult to know how it was oriented from any distance away.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:20 PM
TheHindmost

Cool...The orientation issue isn't as hard as they think, of course...You either keep track of it or mark it (with colored rotors and/or lights) or, usually, a combination of both, and it's not too bad.

As for their helos flying apart, I'm sure Lacey will correct me if I'm wrong here, but the head on a collective-pitch, single-rotor helicopter is not simple, and it sure isn't that durable. It's full of lots of small parts. So I can well imagine a spray of debris when a rotor hits the ground! With our four fixed-pitch rotors, we can mount 'em like tanks and survive much more severe rotor strikes.

Will
Old 12-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Sky High

techrtr, thanks for representing the DF so well! I have been to one fun fly and was the only DF there too. It is a strange feeling when everyone looks at you like, what is that or how do you maintain orientation? Most, but not all, traditional rotor head pilots think they know everything, except for Lacey of course. Hindmost, you are correct. When one of those regular helos crash the damage could be in the hundreds. [X(]