Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Heavy Duty motors and power issues

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Heavy Duty motors and power issues

Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 PM
flyingdutchie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Duty motors and power issues

Since live help at rctoys is offline,I decided to try it here:
My DF crashed the other day ,from a reasonable height.(now I have no more motormounts left [&o] )
While trying to repair the damage, I noticed one of the motors not spinning up until I turn it by hand.
I opened up the motor,no visible damage,brushes look like new although when I measured the resistance on all 3 collector plates(don't know the proper names),one combination showed some resistance while the other combo didnt..?
Other problems are that when holding throttle ,the motors quit randomly for just a millisec like a car with a bad misfire.
When it does that,the 2 green status leds change from both green to blinking and then normal again?
Of course when this started it was rather high in the sky so the damage to the frame was desastrous.
Now I read somewhere on this forum about people with the heavy duty motors having similar power-cut issues so lets discuss them here and maybe there will be a good solution.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:07 PM
TheHindmost

Default RE: Heavy Duty motors and power issues

Did the fuse blow, and what size were you using? (Adam from DFI says a 15A fuse is needed with the heavy duty motors...)

As for the motor behavior, I'm afraid I can't help much, but it sure doesn't sound good. I think the best rule of thumb is probably to replace them when they start misbehaving, rather than trying to fix them. I've replaced a few bad motors (originals, not heavy duty)...In at least one case, the main shaft was bent. The motor would spin, but it took a lot more throttle than the others to start spinning and then it sounded not good at all. Once I replaced that motor, my DF was back in business.

Will

Old 01-05-2007, 03:24 PM
flyingdutchie

Fuse,15 amps,is still ok..
Old 01-05-2007, 03:24 PM
SAVS

I am sure you have read in the other postings where I have the exact same issue. My SAVS came with the HD motors and to get them going on initial lift you have to give it some good stick. Once going you can back off, but I have short power glitches and then it drops (see my pics from yesterdays free fall here [link=http://www.nextnethosting.net/DF/]SAVS Website[/link], listed under 1/4/2007 Stills). It happens about 3-4 minutes after take off, maybe even sooner.

I shipped it to DFI today just like it landed, mud and all
Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
flyingdutchie

Little update :
I have isolated and removed a bad motor.Seems like 2 coils had died on that motor.
I am testing the board now without that bad motor,and whaddayaknow,absolutely NO hesitation/glitches/stuttering or whatever..just smooth!
I already prepared myself for a total board-resoldering [&:] but it seems I am out of trouble already!
Oh yeah,DF sends me a free motor..[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-11-2007, 04:14 PM
TheHindmost

Great news, flyingdutchie!!

Will
Old 02-26-2007, 07:32 PM
laceycopter

I'm running out of motors again...
I was wondering if anybody has anything good to say about the new motors??
If not I'll just order a bunch of the standard ones again.
Thanx,
Lacey
Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 AM
flyingdutchie

Well,the motors just are a whole lot more powerful than the standard motors.but you already knew that.
The magnets used are strong neodymium ones,with a tiny sideeffect,they need more power to spin up.
Taking off is like a rocket and hauling stuff is easier too.The brushes(huge ones compared to the standard) are easily replaceable so they should last alot longer.
I had one motor burn out without a clear cause,maybe just one out of a million faulty.
You might as well try a set,if you don't like em,theres prolly someone here who might take em off your hands.
Now,a little offtopic,since the size of both motors is the same as the standard "300" motors,I was wondering if anybody has tried other motors ,not from dfi? and what about motors with a gearbox preinstalled? just curious.oh and last:whats the max rpm of the blades by full throttle?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:24 PM
laceycopter

Thanx for the reply,
We experimented with a few different 370 motors...But I guess we had the same problem (cogging) I was hoping DF might have had better luck.
I don't think you would want to use gearbox motors...It would add a lot of weight to the DF at the ends of the frame.
I broke my RPM checker....But If I remember right with the standard motors,broke in and timed with 2100 Mah Lipo's full throttle gave about 1,700 - 1,800rpm head speed.(blade rpm's not motor) I'll try to check that again as soon as I can.
Happy Flyin,
Lacey