Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Blown Fuse

Old 02-18-2007, 10:41 AM
techrtr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Fuse

Has anyone found that they've blown fuses when flying fairly aggressively? I mean, tight, fast turns at full throttle, blades whapping against the main arms? I was flying hard yesterday and all of a sudden I lost all power at about 70 feet up. I assumed that maybe it was radio interference but as I was rebuilding the DF I noticed that the fuse was blown. I've been flying the DF like my CP copter and maybe I just can't do that. Anyone else discover that you can't go too crazy with your DF? After crashing from that height, I expected the DF to be pretty much destroyed. All that broke was one main arm and one of the corner brackets for the frame bracing. Pretty impressive, I do say.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:49 AM
TheHindmost

Default RE: Blown Fuse

What size fuse are you using? I haven't blown one in flight yet, and that includes a few death drops with full-throttle recoveries.

In another thread, Adam from DFI said they've gone to 15A fuses now, and that the 10A fuses can blow when using the heavy-duty motors, new black rotors or flying very aggressively...

Glad to hear the crash wasn't too bad!

Will
Old 02-18-2007, 11:59 AM
techrtr

It was a 15 amp fuse. I'll take it easy for the next little while I keep it low until I'm pretty sure something else like a problem with the board didn't cause the power loss. BTW, I was only a couple of minutes into the flight so I know it wasn't a dead battery.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:21 PM
TheHindmost

If you blew a 15A fuse in flight, you might want to try the "goose test" (see [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4051115/anchors_4051544/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4051544]this message[/link]) when you get the unit back together. A sticky motor/gear could let you fly, but draw way too much power under any real load and lead to a blown fuse.

Will
Old 02-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Fesfly

Never blown a fuse while flying, pretty scary I imagine. Good to hear your damage was limited, that is one of the main reasons I got a DF -after getting over the initial sticker price - very simple and cheap to repair. Spectrolutions is great to offer the cheap circuit board repair fee (and free nylon blades).
Old 02-18-2007, 02:53 PM
techrtr

Tried the goose test and nothing seems to be sticking. I'm thinking maybe I was just put too much load on the motors plus it probably didn't help that at least on the blades is hitting the frame during really tight turns. I'll take it easy with it for awhile until I'm sure it's not something else.

Yeah, it's not much fun watching your bird falling from that height and there's nothing you can do about it. It's a real testament to the design of the DF that it can take that much abuse and come out relatively undamaged. I wished I had been video taping it. It would have been pretty funny. It looked pretty bad after it hit because all of the frame bracing popped out and was sticking out all over the place. Looked like every carbon fibre rod was broken. Plus it was covered with wet grass and goose poop. Not a pretty sight.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:22 PM
TheHindmost

Frame strikes sounds like the best theory then...That could definitely cause a fuse to a blow.

When you said "goose poop," I couldn't help thinking, "I didn't mean that goose test!"

Will
Old 02-18-2007, 07:28 PM
laceycopter

I don't know what ya mean by flying like cp Helicopter?...the df is FP so it really won't fly like any of my CP's...But if ya just mean agressive FFF and hard banked turns...ya I do that all the time. I have a 20 amp fuse in mine, it's an SAVS and came that way. I use the one piece blades (not the folding that came with it) and I covered them top and bottom with a layer of plactic(colored) tape (makes them much stiffer) I have very few strikes and they lite when they happen, and I've Never blown a 20 amp fuse.
Happy Flyin,
Lacey
Old 02-18-2007, 09:04 PM
techrtr

I meant really hard banked turns. Maybe I'll put a 20 amp fuse in and laminate the blades to see if that makes a difference.