Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Is there a DF doctor in the house

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Is there a DF doctor in the house

Old 02-28-2007, 10:20 PM
13BRV3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a DF doctor in the house

Greetings,

I bought a (very) used DF-IV, and am trying to nurse it back to health. The frame was in good shape, and the board looks un-destroyed, but the motors and wiring were really horrid. The person who had this must think you're supposed to melt the solder on the iron and drip it all around the area. There were shorted caps on the motors, wires on the motors that were shorted against the case of the motors... just baaaaaad [:@]

Today, I straightened everything up on the frame, replaced all the caps on the motors, and reworked the motor wires. Unfortunately, this did not change the way it operates at all. I also noticed that the bottom of the motors are all pretty beat up, and amazingly, the magnets inside the motors had been forced down to the point where they almost covered the air vents completely. I moved them back up with a screwdriver, but I don't think I'd be too far off suspecting that these motors need to be replaced.

Below is a link to a short video that shows what this thing does at a low throttle setting. During this video, I'm not touching the transmitter at all. FWIW, I tried a different TX, and battery, so those aren't a problem. Does this erratic behavior look like simply a bad motor, or do you think the board needs to go visit Spectro? Problem is, I'd probably upgrade it, so it will be a lot cheaper if it's a motor

Some additional info- If I hold the DF in my hand, and run a normal throttle setting, it seems to function normally. It still has the erratic spasms, but all the controls make the DF do what it's supposed to do, and the gyros seem to be working.

http://www.radrotary.com/SickDF4.wmv

Thanks,
Rusty
Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 AM
SAVS

Default RE: Is there a DF doctor in the house

Has it been drinking? Honestly I would send it to Spectro and see what they find. Having it spaz on the ground is one thing, at 100' is another.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:52 AM
flyingdutchie

Hey that looks familiar!
My DF has that every time it crashes badly.What I do next is heat all the soldered bits where the boards connect until the soldering becomes liquid again.Do the same with the battery connector soldering.It solves my problem every time.
Good luck.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:18 AM
13BRV3

My DF has that every time it crashes badly.What I do next is heat all the soldered bits where the boards connect until the soldering becomes liquid again.Do the same with the battery connector soldering.It solves my problem every time.
Thanks for the comments. This would probably be a good thing to try next, though I did inspect the board very carefully with a big magnifying glass yesterday. I was really more worried about the tiny little surface mount components than the solder joints, but it's easy to do a quick reheat.

Mostly, I was trying to rule out a motor problem. It does seem like the spasms are in the left right direction mostly, but that could still be the board just as easily. I do notice that the green lights are flashing with the surges in the motors, but a quick glance through the manual didn't tell me what those lights actually mean.

Thanks,
Rusty (doing an inventory of the liquor cabinet)
Old 03-01-2007, 08:54 AM
flyingdutchie

Hey Rusty,the blinking leds sound really familiar too,when the df is armed ,they should stay lit.Mine does have exact the same issues.ANd you can't see microscopic cracks in the soldering trust me.Go for it and reheat em all,you'll be surprised.If you do it thoroughly at least.
I talked to DFI about this problem and they told me to do exactly this..and it works.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:49 PM
TheHindmost

I don't think you can rule out motors, especially given where they came from... I'd start by replacing those for sure. How does it do on a "goose test"?

Will
Old 03-01-2007, 06:52 PM
13BRV3

How does it do on a "goose test"?
Hi Will,

You may be onto something here. The DF certainly does act like it's being goosed [sm=eek.gif]

Seriously, I tried the test, and that all looks fine.

Before I started heating solder joints, I decided that the easiest way to test this was to swap boards between the sick DF-IV, and my healthy DF-V. The problem followed the IV board, and the V board works fine even with those brutalized motors. Go figure.

Next, I reheated all the solder connections that were not surface mount components, even though they all looked fine. No change. Checked the antenna connection. No change. Cleaned the board with contact cleaner. No change. I tried wiggling, poking, fiddling with components on the boards while the throttle was running, and I had it held down. No change. Bottom line- "It's dead Jim"

Now for the hard part. This whole thing started as a desire to get a (relatively) cheap III or IV to practice with, and if I pay the $50 repair fee, I'd still have that. Since I have to send it in anyway, and since I would like them to both be the same, I will probably just pay the $250 and get it swapped out for a V-ti board instead. That also means getting the new board on the same freq as my other DF, since it has a 6 channel radio, and this one is only 4. Maybe I can talk myself out of this by morning [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Thanks for all the comments.

Rusty
Old 03-05-2007, 05:04 PM
ko4ligas

one of the 3 gyros is damaged
Kostas
Old 03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
13BRV3

We may never know what it was. I ordered an upgrade Friday, and received my new V-Ti board in the mail today! Seems all the great things people say about Mike and Spectrolutions is true. Thanks Mike [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Rusty
Old 04-08-2007, 02:27 PM
doug217

Hello,

My new Draganflyer Vti is acting just like the one in movie posted here. I tried reheating most of the solder points for board connections... I'll try again, maybe I missed some.

When I tried moving the motors around to rule a problem with motors, i.e., I took the motors off and literally moved them around. The problem remained the same... a problem with right-left sputtering, jerking, and flipping over if I give it enough juice.... just like the movie attached to this thread.

Question: Can I try switching the two big gyros on the main board? Are they the same? If so, I could in theory prove that a gyro is bad. What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Doug
Old 04-08-2007, 06:04 PM
13BRV3

Hi Doug,

The best advice anyone can give you will be to contact Mike at Spectrolutions. If I understood him correctly, these "twitches" are most likely in the vertical board, but could be a motor if it only happens when changing throttle settings. Unless he can tell you something else to try, your board will probably be taking the $55 trip to Spectrolutions []

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 04-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Sky High

13BRV3, did you set your level, left stick down and to right before throttling up? I have found that even with using Ti I have to do that or it will jump like in your video. If it also does that outside with Ti ON and with the level set, I would say there's a definite issue.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Sky High

doug217, did you buy your DF V Ti new or used?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:47 PM
13BRV3

ORIGINAL: Sky High

13BRV3, did you set your level, left stick down and to right before throttling up?
The one in the video was a DF-IV, so no Ti and no "level" to set.

Rusty

Old 04-09-2007, 08:21 AM
doug217

Hi all,

To answer skyhigh, yes, I did buy my Vti new. Also, I do arm my Vti by holding the throttle down and to the left when arming.

I have tried heating up the solder joints where the boards are attached, the battery connector, and the gyros. I have also tried moving the motors around to rule out a problem with a motor.

Regardless of what I have tried the problem still occurs, namely that when I have the Vti sitting on the floor armed and with thermal sensing off, if I starting increasing the throttle it starts jerking and surging to the left, even when I gradually adjust the trim all the way to the right.

Since it is new... only a few weeks old, I have only flown it indoors on carpet, but I guess it's recieved rough treatment because I am still learning to fly... so it has landed roughly many times from 2-3 feet in the air.

I hope you can help me with the following questions, even though I realize I must call draganfly innovations soon:

1) Should I try asking draganfly innovations to send me a new gyro?

2) Can I try switching the gyros to confirm that one of them (the one that controls left-right) is defective?

3) I assume that I broke it, since it was flying fine for the first 3 weeks... but does draganfly innovations have a warranty?

I'm sorry to be asking questions that I should ask draganfly innovations... I am just afraid they may ask me to send something back... and I don't want to wait... :-) I want to fly :-)

Thanks very much for all your thoughts...

Doug
Old 04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Sky High

ORIGINAL: doug217

Hi all,

To answer skyhigh, yes, I did buy my Vti new. Also, I do arm my Vti by holding the throttle down and to the left when arming.
It should be left stick down and to the right after pressing the arming button with or without Ti enabled.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
ko4ligas

Dough217
In order to remove a gyro you have of course to heat it up.When you do that the heat goes thru the pin inside and heats up the other side.So if you heat it up too match it gets disconnected but you cant see it.I f you have done this allready then you might have to replace them .Price is about $24 each,but DF might send them to you for free.Ifyou havent damage them in order to remove them you have to heat them momentarilly and then use a suction tool for the soldering.If you dont have one, you need to put a small screwdriver between the gyro and the board and while momentarily heating up the pins.Alternate that untill it comes out.
Good luck
ko4ligas