Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Will a Polyester Film Capacitor Work for Motor?

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Will a Polyester Film Capacitor Work for Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 PM
XStroX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a Polyester Film Capacitor Work for Motor?

Hi All,

I cracked a motor capacitor and went to radio shack to buy a .01uF capacitor but they didn't have one that looked the same in that size. I bought one that was a .01uF but it is a Polyester Film Capacitor. It is a green rectangle instead of a yellow oval. Is that going to matter? Thanks

Stro
Old 04-22-2007, 09:45 PM
BB_DF

Default RE: Will a Polyester Film Capacitor Work for Motor?

Hey Stro,
There are really only two things you have to consider with a capacitor, besides the capacitance. They are voltage rating and polarity. By definition, capactors don't carry any current. I'm sure it can handle 12 volts, but check the specs for good measure. I don't think the polyester film has a polarity, but electrolytics and tantalums have a little "+" sign near one lead and they'll pop if you get them backwards. Otherwise, I'd think you could hardly do any damage by giving it a try.

Cheers,
Bruce
Old 04-23-2007, 10:12 AM
XStroX

Default RE: Will a Polyester Film Capacitor Work for Motor?

Thanks Bruce,
I noticed when installing it that it didn't have a polarity and wondered if that was the difference. It is rated for 30 volts and so far I haven't had a problem with it. I'm wondering if the intermittent drop outs I was experiencing before were due to that old capacitor being cracked because since replacing it, it hadn't happened once.

Stro