Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

What Digital Video Recording device do you use?

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

What Digital Video Recording device do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 AM
l8braker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Digital Video Recording device do you use?

Hey Guys I'm looking to simplify my DVR setup, and I'm curious as to what you are using. Ideally I'd like to record the video to a SD card which I can plug into my computer and work with it that way. Currently I'm using a digi-camcorder which then has to be captured on the computer. My digi camcorder will record to an SD card, but only as a camcorder not as a "VCR". There has to be an easier way. Any suggestions or how do you do it? I see DF uses some device with a screen that looks like a portable DVD player.

Another related questions: I'm using Pinnacle video editor, but haven't used the stabilization software yet. What format will the stabilization software work with?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:29 PM
BB_DF

Default RE: What Digital Video Recording device do you use?

l8braker,
I recently bought a Coby PMP7040 new on eBay for $175. It usually sells for $300+. It's got a 7" screen and a built-in 40GB hard drive. At 1GB/hr for high-quality video, there's a lot of space there. The unit seems pretty robust, and other than not dropping it I don't think there will be any special issues with the internal HD. It will record and output analog A/V, and when connected to the PC with USB it acts like a local disk drive for easy file manipulation. I like the possibility of using the large screen to allow several people to screen the data in the field. It will run 3.5 hrs on the LiPo battery. However, the image is 480x234 pixels, and so it is not really crisp, but I'd rather have that than a little 2 1/2" screen. You can also pull the video off the Coby and edit it on the PC, then load it back on the Coby as promotional material for potential customers you meet. (I'm being optimistic that the FAA will cooperate in the future). It's also got a decent set of stereo speakers built in. After a lot of research, it seemed the best bang for the buck.

BTW the EyeTop video goggles have been discontinued and you can now get them at clearance for $165 online.

Cheers,
Bruce
Old 04-27-2007, 04:16 PM
l8braker

Oh yeah where can you get the glasses for $165? Got a link? (nevermind found them for $115 here: http://www.fotoconnection.com/viewit...RefTag=froogle)

I finally found a Micro DVR that has a 4" screen and SD car slot. I'm picking one of them up for $300. I also found the one DF uses which is a Sony Walkman VCR. They range from 500-1200 and record to 8mm tapes/sony memory stick. My video camera screen is only 1.5" and hard to see much. This way I'll have a nice compact unit with a 4" screen.

Next question about the Vdub stabilization software, what filter do I use? I noticed SAVS posted a split screen before and after shot that was amazing, and I just want to be able to do the same thing.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:14 PM
13BRV3

ORIGINAL: BB_DF

l8braker,
I recently bought a Coby PMP7040 new on eBay for $175. It usually sells for $300+.
Thanks for the into Bruce. I needed something like this as well, and picked one up on Ebay just moments ago for $170 with shipping.

Cheers,
Rusty

PS- can't help with the sabilization SW questions, but I'll be interested to hear the answer. I'm sure I'll want to try it out as well.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Sky High

l8braker, Vdub does a great job but I think it's way too complicated because of too many steps and takes forever to render. I've used 2D3 Steadymove with Adobe Premiere 6.5 and gotten good results. No matter what you use, the image will be slightly degraded because of how these types of software work which is described and demonstrated in the following thread. If you use a DVR or any consumer device recording to an HD or memory stick, the results will be even worse because that video is being slightly compressed which degrades the image slightly and then further degraded by stabilization software. Recording to tape, straight to your PC's HD or to an uncompressed pro DVR like Firestore is the best way to get clean native video. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4140876]Here[/link] is a post with my splitscreen and [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4094795/tm.htm]here[/link] is a thread about stabilization software.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 PM
l8braker

Wow 2D3 is $499, if Vdub does the same thing for free I'll give that a whirl first haha.

I hate to bother you even more Sky, but can you walk me through the Vdub steps?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Sky High

I have no idea how to use Vdub because I've never used it but I've seen the steps and it takes forever to render. The download at DFI should have all the associated files and demos to show you how to use it.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:02 PM
l8braker

I figured it out.....not too hard, but there are about 3 critical steps. I guess you could make it happen in 2 steps, but then other steps are for cropping/resizing/compression. Once you download the files, there is a "manual" folder with all the instructions.

I'm working on a trial video from yesterday in my neighborhood, so I'll get it posted up tonight.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:43 AM
l8braker

Here is my first attempt at a VDub stabilized video:

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_1...st_attempt.htm

The site I uploaded it to must have compressed it, as the quality is worse than what I uploaded.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM
martinmarty

... (I'm being optimistic that the FAA will cooperate in the future). ...
p.s. Never mind - I found another thread...[]

Hello,

I'm new here & still considering purchase of a DF SAVS. What did the FAA comment refer to?

Thanks,
-Marty
Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Old Man Mike

ORIGINAL: l8braker

Oh yeah where can you get the glasses for $165? Got a link? (nevermind found them for $115 here: http://www.fotoconnection.com/viewit...RefTag=froogle)

I finally found a Micro DVR that has a 4" screen and SD car slot. I'm picking one of them up for $300. I also found the one DF uses which is a Sony Walkman VCR. They range from 500-1200 and record to 8mm tapes/sony memory stick. My video camera screen is only 1.5" and hard to see much. This way I'll have a nice compact unit with a 4" screen.
$115 is a great price but when I look at the reviews of that reseller, it makes me think twice about ordering. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if I can be assured of the product and price.

By the way, has anyone tried a video camera with image stabilization (like the Sanyo VPC-C4). I'm not sure if the 6oz would be too heavy but if not, it would be interesting to see how well it would handle the DF jitter. Since it is probably being done before compression, it might work well.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:04 AM
13BRV3

ORIGINAL: Old Man Mike

$115 is a great price but when I look at the reviews of that reseller, it makes me think twice about ordering. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if I can be assured of the product and price.
Wow! Holy cow!! That's about the worst reviews I've ever seen for a business [sm=thumbs_down.gif]

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/FotoConnection_1

Thanks for the heads up!

Rusty

Old 05-01-2007, 07:00 AM
l8braker

Yeah guys I called them up to verify they had it in stock, and the guy says we do. Ok so then I'll place an order with you. His response "go ahead and place the order online we don't take order over the phone"????? That created enough suspicion to move on to the next guy. Every place I found that was under $200 was the same way or they didn't have it in stock. What they would do is list it as "in stock" but the manufacturer has it and then sends it to them, which they turn around and send to you(7-10 days later).

I just got frustrated and decided not to buy one right now.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 AM
BB_DF

[link=http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=GLE1C1003]HERE[/link] is where I got my Eyetop Centra goggles. The price is $149 + shipping. I received them in 4 days. If you want a quick comparison of what's out there, check [link=http://www.google.com/products?q=eyetop+centra]HERE[/link].

You will notice this vendor is the only one given a Google Intant Checkout, meaning they have 4+ stars rating.

Good luck,
Bruce

Old 05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
13BRV3

[link=http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=GLE1C1003]HERE[/link] is where I got my Eyetop Centra goggles. The price is $149 + shipping. I received them in 4 days. If you want a quick comparison of what's out there, check [link=http://www.google.com/products?q=eyetop+centra]HERE[/link].

You will notice this vendor is the only one given a Google Intant Checkout, meaning they have 4+ stars rating.
Are you sure about that Bruce? At the bottom of the page you listed, you can limit the search by seller rating. Savinglots doesn't show up even if you only click "has a rating". Also, their rating at "resellerratings.com is just as bad as Fotoconnection.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SavingLots

Clearly these are not top of the line dealers, but they must actually deliver products as promised some of the time, or they couldn't stay in business at all. I guess it's just a matter of whether it's worth the risk, for what you can save if you happen to be one of the ones who gets what he ordered.

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 PM
BB_DF

Hi Rusty,
You're right, I guess. The first time I pulled up the Google page, there was a notice at the bottom saying that only 4+ vendors got the "Google Checkout", but now when I sort by rating it's not so good. Also the previous verbage on the bottom right of the page is not there. Who knows? Well, I did have good luck with them, so maybe it's worth a shot...

- Bruce
Old 05-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Old Man Mike

Hi Rusty,
You're right, I guess. The first time I pulled up the Google page, there was a notice at the bottom saying that only 4+ vendors got the "Google Checkout", but now when I sort by rating it's not so good. Also the previous verbage on the bottom right of the page is not there. Who knows? Well, I did have good luck with them, so maybe it's worth a shot...

- Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Glad to hear you had success with the order and that is good enough for me. Can you give us any feedback on how they operate?

Mike
Old 05-01-2007, 01:52 PM
BB_DF

Hey Mike,
The first thing I did was to cut off the earplug wires flush since they were kind of cumbesome and I figured I would not be recording any audio from the DF. Even if it could, all you would hear is gear and prop noise anyway. The unit seems to work pretty well, considering the tiny screen. It's got mechanical focus and view angle in the goggles, and brightness, contrast, etc. set at the unit that clips on your belt. First thing I did was to drop it on the pavement good and hard just for quality control [X(]- still works fine. I've been testing it with video output from the Coby recorder, until my DF shows up next week. All you need is something to show you what the aerial camera is seeing. I'm real happy with it especially considering the original $500 price tag.

- Bruce
Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Old Man Mike

Bruce,

Thanks for the feedback. Will these glasses fit over a regular pair of glasses?

Mike
Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
BB_DF

ORIGINAL: Old Man Mike

Will these glasses fit over a regular pair of glasses?
Nope. I tried. So it's either contacts or flying w/o glasses. That's why the other unit that DFI sells is better. You can wear it like a headset. I checked around and their price of $799 was the best I could find.

-BB
Old 05-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Blackdragan

ORIGINAL: l8braker

I figured it out.....not too hard, but there are about 3 critical steps. I guess you could make it happen in 2 steps, but then other steps are for cropping/resizing/compression. Once you download the files, there is a "manual" folder with all the instructions.

I'm working on a trial video from yesterday in my neighborhood, so I'll get it posted up tonight.
l8baker,

Could you please list the 3 critical steps needed to make V- Dub work correctly? Thanks
Old 05-02-2007, 06:40 AM
13BRV3

Regarding the Eyetop, I just bought one of these from a seller on Ebay. The ones he's selling come with a portable DVD player, and carrying pack as well as the goggles. The buy it now price is currently $260, and he has 13 more at the moment. His feedback rating is 100 percent, and he's sold a bunch of these, so I feel pretty safe about it. I also received a message from him soon after the auction saying it would ship this morning.

To find this, search Ebay for "Eyetop" or item number 140110885256.

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 05-02-2007, 07:57 AM
l8braker

ORIGINAL: Blackdragan
l8baker,

Could you please list the 3 critical steps needed to make V- Dub work correctly? Thanks
When you have your video open, go under video/filters. Then open up the Load option and find the Draganflyer Deshake VDF file under the Vdub folder. Then run pass 1 by hitting the play(o) button, then go back under filters and configure the Deshake and select pass 2. Then go under file/save as AVI. When that is done close the file and open up the new de-shaked file and under file/load settings look for Crop/re-size under the vdub folder. Go back under filters and select the crop/re-size and configure that to your liking. However if you are posting this on the internet you'll want to also add compression. To do this go under video/compression/ select divx. File/save as AVI again and your are pretty much done.

Also if you have the Vdub files look for the manual folder which explains it all in detail with screen shots. There are PDF's for each step. Personally I have no need to re-size the video and noticed no difference with the smoother.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:48 PM
VRNowhere

I use an Aiptek MPVR. It cost me a whopping $70 with shipping on eBay, takes up to a 2GB SD card, has 2.4" LCD display, external A/V plug and records at 640x480 in really good quality. The only bummer is that files are in asf format and have to converted to avi, for that I use Boilsoft ASF Converter.

I used to have the Sandisk V-Mate, but that turned out to be very cumbersome, since it doesn't have it's own display.

Hope this helps,

Vas
Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 PM
a8906

Hey Rusty,
I bought this exact setup from him about 3 months ago and the guy is great to deal with and straight up!
your transaction will be a good one.
And by the way...the I was very impressed with the quality of the product and the accessories.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.