Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Frankenstein Draganfly

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Frankenstein Draganfly

Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 PM
geoffff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frankenstein Draganfly

I don't know about anyone else here learning to fly the Draganfly, but mine's starting to look pretty Frankenstein with all the epoxy and glued-thread stitches holding it together with all my crash repairs. Yes, I have bought spare parts, but I try to nurse some (like motor mounts) along for a few more flights with epoxy. Most days end with some kind of crash. I'm glad I'm comfortable with a soldering iron!

I have about 20 battery-charges worth of flights under my belt, and the DF is my first RC flying device. Also, my backyard is pretty small, surrounded by trees, and is prone to gusts of breeze.

-- Geoff
Old 05-05-2007, 02:49 PM
geoffff

Default RE: Frankenstein Draganfly

You can also see that I've added red/green/white LEDs (so I can tell the orientation when it's up high) and glued on stubby legs (plastic spray-can tubes) to protect the exposed capacitors on the motors.

The LEDs are powered by 5v I found for the video-camera connection. You can also see the green jumper wire I added for the 12v trace I accidentally shorted out by playing with it while powered up (stupid). I bought the LEDs from [link=http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm]superbrightleds.com[/link]

-- Geoff
Old 05-05-2007, 03:01 PM
BB_DF

Hi Geoff,
Did you find the simulator helpful in learning to overcome the Four Horseman of the Apocolypse: overcontrol (nerves), delayed response (thinking too much), reverse control (disorientation) & PANIC? How about the Tx training/video switch - useful? You know what helicopter pilots say: if you can walk away from it, it was a good landing. If you get to use it again, it was a great landing.

Hang in there.

Cheers,
Bruce

Old 05-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Sky High

I tried flying with motor mounts super glued together and it worked for a short while but turned out to be a time bomb. For some reason, that type of plastic doesn't bond well with super glue, at least not for a long time. After crashing a couple of times and causing even more damage because of using glued together parts, my new policy is to always replace broken or even cracked parts. I haven't tried epoxy. Maybe it's better.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:45 PM
geoffff

Thanks, Bruce! I never did work with the simulator; perhaps I should have. I'm at the point where I feel I *can* fly -- I can keep it hovering and basically staying in place or in small controlled movements for maybe 10-20 seconds, but then something always seems to happen: a gust of wind, or maybe I just start overcompensating with the controls, and then -- I'm down.

I don't count it as a crash unless I have to repair something

I think I need to practice in a bigger area, and then stick to some drills for a while. Maybe lapping figure 8s around a pair of tree trunks as markers. My backyard isn't very good for that.

-- Geoff
Old 05-05-2007, 08:47 PM
geoffff

The epoxy has been holding well. I'm using "J B Weld" brand, even though it's ugly grey.
-- Geoff
Old 05-05-2007, 09:49 PM
VRNowhere

Geoff,

You mentioned that overcompensating the controls causes you to crash. I used to have the same problem, until I switched to a computerized radio and set dual rate for pitch, roll and yaw to 50% and 80% (switch selectable). This way I can hover in the garage until the battery runs low and fly nicely outside (when the wind isn't blowing).

Good luck,

Vas
Old 05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
geoffff

ORIGINAL: geoffff

The epoxy has been holding well. I'm using "J B Weld" brand, even though it's ugly grey.
-- Geoff
Actually, I'm now finding that gooey glues work better. Epoxy is strong, but tends to shatter where the gooey glues will bend and give a bit. I'm using "shoe goo" because it's what I happen to have lying around.

I'm getting better, but still occasionally shattering motor mount and leg plastic pieces. Soon they will all be frankenstein parts.