Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

SUCCESS! - A Brushless DF Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

SUCCESS! - A Brushless DF Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:31 AM
msarid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SUCCESS! - A Brushless DF Conversion

Hi Rusty
Please find Mike Dammar answer regarding to the motor problem.

Do your boards have a small black capacitor on the bottom of the PCB near the front the board on the 9 pin connector that attaches the vertical board?
That, and new capacitors on the motors should take care of it.

You should be able to copy the part position from one board to the other.
The part is a 68 UF 6.3 volt tantalum capacitor, make sure the polarity is correct
You can use a larger or slightly smaller capacitance, or a larger voltage part. A throughole part might be easier to come buy as well.

Have a great weekend
Moti
Old 10-29-2007, 11:03 AM
msarid

Too quiet around here,wakeup
Old 11-02-2007, 09:25 PM
woorie

Hi, all

Before CUTTING the pin of the old board for the BL modification with Berg RX, I want to ask if there is a way to 'disable' on-board RX. If I can disable on-board RX without damaging the board, and can feed PPM signal from the modified Berg into the 5th pin of the horizontal board or 9th pin of the vertical to horizontal board, I think I can easily return to the original brush motors without Spectrosolution's knowledge.

Another question is; As far as I can find PPM signals from RXs, can I use any RXs with more than 4 channels?

K.J. Woo
Old 11-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Old Man Mike

ORIGINAL: woorie

Hi, all

Before CUTTING the pin of the old board for the BL modification with Berg RX, I want to ask if there is a way to 'disable' on-board RX. If I can disable on-board RX without damaging the board, and can feed PPM signal from the modified Berg into the 5th pin of the horizontal board or 9th pin of the vertical to horizontal board, I think I can easily return to the original brush motors without Spectrosolution's knowledge.
If you disable the BERG receiver, the output may load down the PPM signal line. It is best to just make the cut. You can always solder it back if you want to send the board in for repair. Spectrolution really doesn't care if the board has been modified as long as you reconnect the cut pin so that they can test anything they repair.

By the way, if you have the DF with the BERG receiver, why not just unplug and remove the receiver? You could even insert a pin with the new Receiver PPM signal into the socket so that there is no modification to the board.

ORIGINAL: woorie
Another question is; As far as I can find PPM signals from RXs, can I use any RXs with more than 4 channels?

K.J. Woo
Yes, as long as you can find the composite PPM signal containing all the channels.

Mike
Old 11-03-2007, 03:39 AM
woorie

Mike

I have old board and I'm going to modify with separate 72Mhz Berg receiver and/or 40Mhz receivers from which PPM signals can be fed. (We can use both 72Mhz and 40Mhz in Korea.)

K.J. Woo
Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 AM
MORENOENNYC

@13BRV3 Are you using your Futaba 2.4GHz mod with your UAVP? Do you have any updates with your mod...changes etc? I believe you're using 5 channels becuase the 6th pulse wouldn't cooperate. Lastly if possible, please explain how and where you installed the nand gate chip. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your input.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:31 PM
13BRV3

ORIGINAL: MORENOENNYC
Are you using your Futaba 2.4GHz mod with your UAVP?
The UAVP doesn't require a PPM signal, as long as the receiver outputs are "standard". The UAVP uses channels 1,3,5 and 7 (optional). The spaces between these channels are used to create the even channel inputs. The 2.4 GHz receivers don't necessarily have to play by the old rules, so they aren't all "standard", though the Futaba R606FS receiver works fine using 1,3 and 5. The 7 channel R607FS may or may not work using the 7th channel. Can't tell until Futaba release them, and Tower Hobbies fills my pre-order [8D]

One of the UAVP developers has written a beta version of the flight software that can use PPM inputs, inverted or not. This may allow some of the non-standard receivers to work, IF you can get a PPM signal out of them. With my modded Futaba receivers, I could use the PPM or not, but there's no advantage to using PPM, so I'll stick with the normal way.

ORIGINAL: MORENOENNYC
Do you have any updates with your mod...changes etc? I believe you're using 5 channels because the 6th pulse wouldn't cooperate. Lastly if possible, please explain how and where you installed the nand gate chip. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your input.
I just posted pics and more info on the 2.4 GHz DF conversion thread. If you have any other questions about the conversion, ask it there, and I'll answer if I can.

Cheers,
Rusty

Old 11-10-2007, 04:54 PM
MORENOENNYC

Thanks Rusty
Old 11-19-2007, 07:59 AM
jesolins

Mike,
Don't know if you checked out leaf rake tines for landing gear yet I found this post at the xufo forum. Here: http://forum.xufo.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7797 Sounds like the landing gear you were interested in was welding steel wire.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Old Man Mike

ORIGINAL: jesolins

Mike,
Don't know if you checked out leaf rake tines for landing gear yet I found this post at the xufo forum. Here: http://forum.xufo.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7797 Sounds like the landing gear you were interested in was welding steel wire.
Cheers,
Jim
Thanks Jim but I no longer need landing gear with the 1000mm Quad Copter frame. With the recessed motors and small foam protectors at the ends of the carbon fiber tubes, no landing gear is necessary.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14488.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	807142  
Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 PM
tedrobphoto

Hi, Mike
I am trying to contact you on this thread as the other thread seems to have died - I sent a private message with no success and wondered if everything is OK - it obviously is!-
A much simpler question (for now) I wanted to know the dimensions of the new board as I am building the frame ready for the new board from Mike Dammar - if you could let me know these I would appreciate it
Thanks again

Ted
Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Old Man Mike

ORIGINAL: tedrobphoto

Hi, Mike
I am trying to contact you on this thread as the other thread seems to have died - I sent a private message with no success and wondered if everything is OK - it obviously is!-
A much simpler question (for now) I wanted to know the dimensions of the new board as I am building the frame ready for the new board from Mike Dammar - if you could let me know these I would appreciate it
Thanks again

Ted
Ted,

Check the other thread again. Since no one was asking questions, it fell back to page 4. It should be near the front now.

Mike
Old 11-25-2007, 03:38 AM
beckettrj

I have a 2410-08 which worked on the last plane I put it on... and now I'm having a heck of a time setting up the ESC which is a Tower Pro Mag 8 18amp (the same one which was working!) I just moved the ESC and the motor over to new plane. I get beeps etc. but now the prop just rocks back and forth...

Any lay-mans terms instructions? I think I have the degrees off and i don't know what they should be...
3 degrees, 8, 15 or 30 degrees... ?

any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rod
Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 AM
aerohelipilot

Is anyone interested in all the parts to do mikes orignial conversion. Motors speed controls optio isolators resistors I decided I needed money for other stuff.. All brand new never used email me at [email protected]
Old 02-09-2008, 04:30 PM
khaled_abobakr

Old Man Mike ,

Do you think this mode will work with the X-3d quadro with the chinaboard i,, the receiver is also integrated in the board

Thank you very much

Khaled
Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Old Man Mike

ORIGINAL: khaled_abobakr

Old Man Mike ,

Do you think this mode will work with the X-3d quadro with the chinaboard i,, the receiver is also integrated in the board

Thank you very much

Khaled
Sorry Khaled. I know nothing about that board.

Mike
Old 03-16-2008, 03:13 AM
woorie

It's very quiet here.
Everybody happy with the Mike's brushless conversion?

K.J. Woo
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM
jesolins

Hi Woorie,
They fly great! Mike Dammer has offered a new $375 experimental board for brushless and will mod last generation boards that can be identified by the 12 holes in the front for where the connectors for the ESC's will be installed for $55. Those fly great too, much better than the brushed versions!
Here is the info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768115
Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 AM
woorie

I want to know whether someone who converted to Old Man Mike's method with their standard DF frame, optocouplers, TP 2410-09, 1045 props, etc..., are still enjoying their DFs.
There were sensitivity issues about gyros for larger and standard DF frames last Autumn in this forum but there seems no solutions yet.
I don't want to buy DF board for brushless motors, but want to use standard board to convert ...

In short, direct drive BL conversion on standard DF frame and standard board do not suffer from oscillation?

K.J. Woo
Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 PM
jesolins

Guess I wasn't clear enough...yes I did the OMM BL opti-mod...it still flys great. Go to the link above for much more info. Many of us in that forum did this mod and then moved on to the experimental BL DF board that I also mentioned above. I also did a mod to add a 100k pot to the nick and roll gyros for even more stabilization and no continuous oscillations. Here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=941
Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-29-2008, 04:33 PM
khaled_abobakr

okay here is a detailed Power point version of the OMM Opto isolator brushless conversion mod applied to the Chinaboard / X-base (X-3d quad) by Jesolins

This diagram was revised by Jesolins and approved
I hope it helps anyone who wants to go brushless at an affordable price just like me hehe

Thank you very much Jesolins for your support and for revising the diagram

and of course Thank you very much Old Man Mike for making my dream come true by offering an affordable brushless solution

Khaled[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706305&page=146#post9452485]OMM mod detailed diagram[/link]
Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 PM
flycc
Banned

ORIGINAL: VRNowhere

Great job! Please keep us posted.

I don't understand why Draganflyer designers haven't come up with something, since the X-UFO and other European quadrotors are brushless. I've been waiting for some annoucements from the DF guys, but I guess they have no incentive to upgrade their system - darn lack of competition...
Right

[link=http://www.rcroll.com]all kinds of rc helicopter[/link]

[link=http://www.flashlightcool.com]flashlight[/link]

[link=http://www.game4box.com]Cheap Video Games[/link]