Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

DF Crash and it's cry for help

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

DF Crash and it's cry for help

Old 10-23-2007, 01:29 AM
Old Man Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DF Crash and it's cry for help

So,

It was an overcast day and with the leaves turning, I thought I would do a little high flying video before the rain. There was a little wind from the south but it was flying so well that I kept going higher. Before I knew it, it became just a dot in the sky and it was drifting north. It was so far away that I had no clue where the front was. I tried to move the sticks back and forth to give me some orientation but it was just too far away to tell anything. So, I cut power to see if reducing the altitude could bring back some visibility. I was able to recover after it fell half way down but it was still too far away so I dropped it again. The picture below shows the recorded max altitude as 335 feet which is a new record for me. This video starts around the peak altitude and shows the first drop and final crash:

[link=http://www.af9y.com/Crash3.wmv]Crash3[/link]

It came down in my north field but trees blocked my view of the landing. That field is a marshy area with 5 foot high weeds and stalks. I kept the transmitter active on a wood pile while I started walking in the weeds. Although the marsh was mostly dry, it was very hard on the legs because of how I had to step high over the heavy grass areas. Visibility was limited to about 10 feet and I was getting worried that I had not found it after half an hour of searching. I even went back to the house and up on the roof with binoculars hoping that the high vantage point might reveal the hidden DF. No luck so I started once again in a methodical back and forth search.

After an hour of searching I still had not found it. Now it was beginning to sprinkle and my legs were killing me. I was quite disappointed since with the camera, Eagle Pro data recorder and Dragan Flyer there was $1000 worth of stuff that was going to spend the night in the rain. I picked up the transmitter, turned it off and headed back to the house. When I reached the house, I looked back from the position where I had been flying and tried once more to visualize where it might have landed. Althought it was beginning to rain, I thought I would make just one more walk into the weeds. When I got about as far as I was going to go, I hear a weak "beep". I pushed aside the weeds and there was the little guy beeping with the last of the battery power after 90 mins in the field. Turning off the transmitter caused the "no signal" beep of the brushless motors by the ESC. I would have never found it without that beep.

Finally, would you believe that after that fall there was absolutely no damage? I installed a fresh battery and flew it with no problems!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33102.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	788574  
Old 10-23-2007, 07:48 AM
13BRV3

Default RE: DF Crash and it's cry for help

ORIGINAL: Old Man Mike

Finally, would you believe that after that fall there was absolutely no damage? I installed a fresh battery and flew it with no problems!
Hi Mike,

That is pretty amazing. Glad you found it, and that it still works. Have you placed your gps module order yet [8D]

Rusty

Old 10-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Sky High

... Turning off the transmitter caused the "no signal" beep of the brushless motors by the ESC. I would have never found it without that beep. ...
Not necessarily. A similar incident happened to me with a loss of signal. You can read about it [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3746141]here[/link]. The DF took off by itself when my back was turned because I turned off the Tx with it still armed and it was getting dark. After returning to where it had been on the ground before I stepped away, I could not find it anywhere and was frantic. But, luckily I had been testing independent battery powered LEDs and that's how I eventually found it once it got dark. When it took off and began to climb out, it had gotten hung up about 25 ft in a pine tree. The branches jammed the rotors and blew the fuse so if the LEDs hadn't been independently powered, I never would have found it. I would highly recommend flying with a self powered LED and/or an ID tag with your contact info. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3676103]Here[/link] is an ID tag post.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Old Man Mike

ORIGINAL: Sky High

... Turning off the transmitter caused the "no signal" beep of the brushless motors by the ESC. I would have never found it without that beep. ...
Not necessarily. A similar incident happened to me with a loss of signal. You can read about it [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3746141]here[/link]. The DF took off by itself when my back was turned because I turned off the Tx with it still armed and it was getting dark. After returning to where it had been on the ground before I stepped away, I could not find it anywhere and was frantic. But, luckily I had been testing independent battery powered LEDs and that's how I eventually found it once it got dark. When it took off and began to climb out, it had gotten hung up about 25 ft in a pine tree. The branches jammed the rotors and blew the fuse so if the LEDs hadn't been independently powered, I never would have found it. I would highly recommend flying with a self powered LED and/or an ID tag with your contact info. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3676103]Here[/link] is an ID tag post.
Hi Sky,

I remember reading that post but it was fun to do it again now that I have more experience. I have to ask about that "above 500 feet" flying at night ----- you've got to be kidding. Are you sure you were at that height? I can't imagine getting that high during the day, much less at night. Does your DF have a death wish?

Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Sky High

... I remember reading that post but it was fun to do it again now that I have more experience. I have to ask about that "above 500 feet" flying at night ----- you've got to be kidding. Are you sure you were at that height? I can't imagine getting that high during the day, much less at night. Does your DF have a death wish?
That was way before I knew how to judge the height of the DF. Before that I was also thinking I had reached a 1000 ft a couple of times. I had no RC experience before the DF and it showed. I was just so excited about this little helo like most new DF pilots are and got a little overzealous. Since then, and after flying more and more with POV video, I was able to compare known altitude stills and video with displays with my video to get a better idea of how high I actually was. Flying at night with LEDs, especially really high, is easier than flying during the day because all you have to do is see those lights and there is much less wind depending on your location. I know that I went so high that I could barely see those bright LEDs firing straight down and they are very bright. I wouldn't be surprised if I went at least 500 ft those times I sent it straight up just to see how high I could go.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Sky High

Here is another device that helps located downed RC aircraft.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4911936/tm.htm
Old 10-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Old Man Mike

ORIGINAL: Sky High

Here is another device that helps located downed RC aircraft.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4911936/tm.htm
Excellent, Sky!

At 0.2 oz, it is certainly a great device for this type of use. I have a little worry about using it with other potential 2.4 Ghz add-ons but currently I am not using that band for the R/C or telemetry.

Mike
Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM
tedrobphoto

ORIGINAL: 13BRV3

Hi Mike,

That is pretty amazing. Glad you found it, and that it still works. Have you placed your gps module order yet [8D]

Rusty

What is the GPS module to which you refer?
Ted
Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 PM
13BRV3

ORIGINAL: tedrobphoto

What is the GPS module to which you refer?
Ted
Hi Ted,

Mike always flies with the Eagle Tree Seagull system, which is a data recorder, and telemetry system. One of the optional sensors is a gps, so it would always show the last location of the model if he lost it.

Cheers,
Rusty

Old 11-30-2007, 03:15 PM
tedrobphoto

Hi, Rusty
Yes, I see the system but I originally thought it was a system for maintaining the aircraft in a fixed position by taking the info from the GPS and transferring it to the four motor ESC's - It's all getting a "bit above my head" I'm afraid.

Thanks for the feedback, however.

Cheers Ted
Old 12-01-2007, 06:03 PM
13BRV3

the recorded max altitude as 335 feet which is a new record for me.

Rusty

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20260.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	816228  
Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Old Man Mike

ORIGINAL: 13BRV3

the recorded max altitude as 335 feet which is a new record for me.

Rusty
Well, I am impressed!

And is the -20 foot at the end what happens after it crashed landed in the lake and sanked to the bottom? [X(]

Mike
Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 PM
13BRV3

And is the -20 foot at the end what happens after it crashed landed in the lake and sanked to the bottom? [X(]
I was in the middle of a Navy airport that's closed on the weekends, so I had lots of room to crash, but no lake. As for the -20 ft, apparently, you just haven't flown high enough to incur any significant errors. Maybe you need younger eyes

The compass heading hold on the UAVP does make high flight much easier. I was hoping it was going to be close to your record, but I never imagined it was 500 ft until I saw the data [8D]

Rusty