Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Cheap home made SAVS alternative.

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Cheap home made SAVS alternative.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:31 PM
RipFree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap home made SAVS alternative.

Hi, i'm currently working on a little pet project which is to make an SAVS type camera mount out of recycled draganflyer pieces and common household items (because nobody wants to spend $1000 on an unecessary upgrade). It's no brushless conversion, but it should be interesting. There will be clear improvements to your flight videos if all goes to plan. Some pictures should be here soon (no video unfortunately, sorry, but i still use VCRs [god forbid!] and i have no hardware or software to convert the analogue signal to digital).
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
Here is the draganflyer HSAVS (homemade SAVS) attachment v1:

This is the first version of my HSAVS video platform using only recycled draganflyer bits, common household items and the platform can be removed without having to touch any of the DF parts! The video quality is a fair bit better than with the normal mount, the edges of the picture don't come in and out erratically, although the improvements are slight, remember that this is the prototype. The problems with it are as follows; the camera is completely exposed meaning one crash in it's right had side, and bam!, the camera's cf tube rolls quite a bit and well, it isn't attached very firmly. I probably won't be taking this thing above 20 ft, but it is a neat concept.

Improvements to the v2: Camera padding + protection, more sophisticated rubber band bracings (LOL!), and more that i can't think of right now.

Anyway, thoughts, comments, ideas are all welcome.

Probably have the v2 out by the end of the month.

P.S, i've already swapped the rubber bands for weaker ones which gives it more freedom of movement.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
I have finally upgraded the HSAVS to v2.

The camera has more protection from impact, and the rubber band suspension actually works well (I suggest you get the weakest rubber bands you can find).

Unfortunately, i havn't yet flown it with the camera as my DF's yaw gyro is acting up (the 9 pin connecting the yaw gyro on the vertical side to the rest of the circuit board needs resoldering, but my iron's tip is too fat to properly solder on some tin, so i need to get a thinner tip []).

This design has some serious flaws: Instead of going forwards and back to compensate for yaw, it rolls over which, as you can imagine, makes for a bad video. Also, it can be taken off easily, but not put back on easily.

So, a new design is in order. The v3 will be completely different. Will update second week of Feb probably.

Keep watching this space!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73503.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	849251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25646.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	849252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91624.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	849253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75651.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	849254  
Old 01-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Sky High

Default RE: Cheap home made SAVS alternative.

ORIGINAL: RipFree

... There will be clear improvements to your flight videos if all goes to plan. Some pictures should be here soon (no video unfortunately, sorry, but i still use VCRs [god forbid!] and i have no hardware or software to convert the analogue signal to digital).
What are you comparing the video quality to? The camera you are showing only has 240 lines of resolution which is VHS quality whereas the SAVS camera has 480 lines of resolution which is more like DV quality.

Some pictures should be here soon (no video unfortunately, sorry, but i still use VCRs [god forbid!] and i have no hardware or software to convert the analogue signal to digital).
The signal coming from the Eyecam and the SAVS receivers is analog so you should easily be able to record into a VCR or anything that accepts RCA IN.

... The video quality is a fair bit better than with the normal mount, the edges of the picture don't come in and out erratically, although the improvements are slight, remember that this is the prototype. ...
Are you talking about the Eyecam mount which is the little 1.5" arm that connects to the flight board or the SAVS camera arm?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 AM
RipFree

What are you comparing the video quality to? The camera you are showing only has 240 lines of resolution which is VHS quality whereas the SAVS camera has 480 lines of resolution which is more like DV quality.
Well, previously on my camera, there had been a noticeable amount of shaking when the DF reached higher altitudes. I am trying to correct this and hopefully i will see improvements to my flight videos, not in terms of resolution.

The signal coming from the Eyecam and the SAVS receivers is analog so you should easily be able to record into a VCR or anything that accepts RCA IN.
And then how do i get that onto my computer to upload? I don't have equipment to do this with.

Are you talking about the Eyecam mount which is the little 1.5" arm that connects to the flight board or the SAVS camera arm?
I am talking about the eyecam mount (the arm).

I hope that cleared things up!

PS, thanks sky high for getting the attachments to work.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:05 AM
phoglite

Hi RipFree - I've had a horrible time getting good video on my similar draganflyer setup. I bought an eyecam back in 2005 or so and the quality never was that great but I haven't had a chance to really try it out airborne until just recently. There was an incredible amount of image warping. It may be caused by my video capture card in part but the vibration when using the eyecam "arm" is terrible. I plan to record using a modern camcorder shortly so perhaps that will help. Meanwhile, I'll be interested to see how your homebrew SAVS comes along. I might try working up a similar solution. -phog