Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

DF Doctor in the house ?

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

DF Doctor in the house ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 AM
AOW Lusetti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DF Doctor in the house ?

Well I was really starting to get the hang of hovering and my DF motors just stopped ? The green leds were on and the red one flashed as I increased and decreased the transmitter throttle. I re arm the DF and start up again and the same thing happens after a few seconds. My transmitter battery never charges all the way the Yellow led on the charger never goes out I left it charge over night and the voltage starts out at 11.5 but only after a couple min the voltage drops to 10v and lower. Any suggestions .
Could the TX batter be bad ? I checked all my motor caps and wires for shorts none found I have a new Lipoly battery one 1370mah and one 2100mah I tried both bateries in the DF and same results. Any advise would be appriciated.

Thanks
Lusetti
Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Sky High

Default RE: DF Doctor in the house ?

What kind of Tx do you have? Are you using the yellow DFI charger? My first Tx was the HiTech Laser 6 and it was discovered that DFI's yellow charger would not charge it sufficiently. So, they sent me the HiTech charger and that fixed the problem. I have three yellow DFI chargers with one having a larger wall transformer. I also have a Futaba Tx and have discovered that only the DFI charger with the larger wall transformer will fully charge the Futaba's battery.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM
AOW Lusetti

I have a yellow charger with the wall transformer and a futaba tx. I tried to charge the tx battery by using my Ni Cd battery charger the charger said it is charged but I think its weak. Could a weak TX battery exibit the symtom I expalined earlyer. New battery comming tomorrow. Will see then . I hope its not my board.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Sky High

Why don't you just use the yellow DFI charger? Try that for 24 hours and see what happens.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
AOW Lusetti

ORIGINAL: Sky High

Why don't you just use the yellow DFI charger? Try that for 24 hours and see what happens.
Been there done that [8D]
Old 01-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Sky High

ORIGINAL: AOW Lusetti

... My transmitter battery never charges all the way the Yellow led on the charger never goes out I left it charge over night and the voltage starts out at 11.5 but only after a couple min the voltage drops to 10v and lower. Any suggestions .
Okay, I can't believe I didn't catch that. The LED on the yellow DFI charger doesn't go out when the Tx battery is charged like it does when a LiPo is fully charged so that's normal. Is your wall adapter for the DFI charger about 3 inches thick or only about 1.5 inches thick? Like I said, I have two DFI chargers that are thin and one that's thick and only the thick one will charge the Futaba Tx battery correctly for some reason.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:50 PM
AOW Lusetti

The charger with respect to the ac trminals is about 1.5inches not 3 inches.... Would a weak TX battery cause the problem I have mentioned. The red led flickers with the throttle position. I reset the DF and the motors spin up for a little bit the stop and the red LED flickers fast to slow with respect to the throttle position. Will send an e-mail to Spectrolutions when I get some time. I may have to send the board in to repair I hope not I just got this thing. Most the time I have been waiting for parts. RCTOYS has not been too helpfull they screwed up my shipment and my shipping.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Sky High

ORIGINAL: AOW Lusetti

... The charger with respect to the ac trminals is about 1.5inches not 3 inches....
Could you post a picture of your wall adapter? It sounds like you're experiencing the issue I described with the smaller wall unit not allowing the DFI charger to charge the Futaba Tx battery sufficiently. The DF itself should not be affected if the flight pack is charged but I would think there would be communication issues if the Tx was not sufficiently charged.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:08 PM
AOW Lusetti

No pics yet I will try to get one when I get home. Another thought was that I bought a new Thunder power battery (2200mah) and a thunder power balancer. I charged it using my non DF Lipoly Charger and ran one full charge with the new battery w/o issue. I then put in my 1370mah battery and this issue started happening. The balencer and my charger are both indicating that the bats are charged.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Sky High

Here is a comparison of the two. The one on the right is the only one that will charge my Futaba sufficiently.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47677.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	858059  
Old 01-22-2008, 12:53 PM
AOW Lusetti

Mine is like the one on the left the thin one. When your battery was not charging correctly what kind of problems did your DF exibit.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Sky High

If the Tx is not at a minimum operating voltage the DF would probably experience erratic behavior because of broken commands and then a possible loss of signal which you do not want to happen. I would get DFI to either send you a Futaba charger like I had to do with the HiTech Tx or an updated DFI charger with the larger wall unit. Did your DFI charger ever charge your Tx correctly or has it not worked since you got it? If it hasn't ever worked, I think they should replace it with one that does.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 AM
jesolins

@ skyhigh
Just to satisfy my curiosity, what are the MAH and voltage ratings of each of those ac/dc adapters?
Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Sky High

Small Adapter Specifications:

Input: 100 - 240v ~ 50/60Hz

Max 0.78A

Output: 13.5v - - - 2.2A

Large Adapter Specifications:

Input: 100 - 240v - 0.7A 47 - 63Hz

Output: 15v - - - 1.67A

Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
geoffbrown

I have the thin wall unit and my tx batteries only get to 11.1 after 14 hours. Is that
not charged fully??
Old 02-03-2008, 03:16 PM
AOW Lusetti

Update on my issue it turns out that there is an intermittent connection in the power supply circuit on my DF board. When I tap or bump it it disarms. I rearm it hover around the living room bump it and it disarms. I disconnected the motor connector arm the board and wiggle the battery connector or the fuse connector and it disarms. Talked to Mike Dammar and he said to try reflowing the batt,fuse connectors but it still is an issu. So I have to send the board in for repair. []
Old 02-24-2008, 02:28 PM
AOW Lusetti

Got her back and she was up and running for about twelve batteries batter thirteen she started this uncontrolled left spin. No crashes only hover time over shag carpet. e-mail out to spectroltions.[&o] Changed all four motors and caps reflowed solder on board connectors to no avail. Grounded again back to my Blade 400