Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Multi-Rotor Heli on a Tether system?

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Multi-Rotor Heli on a Tether system?

Old 10-24-2008, 06:15 PM
REFLEXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi-Rotor Heli on a Tether system?

I posted this in multi-rotor helis too. So if this is inappropriate here, please delete...

Hello all!

Has anyone done a quad rotor that is tethered to the ground or a vehicle?

My company is developing a Medium sized UGV (unmanned ground vehicle) and we had the idea of mounting a tethered quadrotor to the top. It would be like a very tall camera/observation platform.

The idea is simple. Our vehicle arrives in a certain (wooded / urban) area and stops. A protective dome opens up. The heli would be powered up and a small winch would feed out the tether line allowing it to go up 50 feet (or more?). It would then become a video platform for situational awareness?

Once it looks around, the heli is then winched back down into the protective "dome" and the vehicle moves on.

Some ideas:

1. No batteries necessary. We can supply power along the tether line, thus giving us unlimited hover time.

2. No need for gyros, if the rotors all face slightly outward? creating a cone of air and pulling against the tether line.

3. fixed pitch is fine. The motors just operate on enough throttle to pull on the tether/winch line.

4. perhaps a conventional heli design is better. Easier to rotate the heli to look in a different direction?

5. Camera & payload would be bigger because we can supply unlimited 24v power.

any thoughts? suggestions? Want to volunteer and get involved?

thanks,

Gene S.