RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Draganfly Innovations Products (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/draganfly-innovations-products-403/)
-   -   Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/draganfly-innovations-products-403/1258560-draganfly-iv-anyone-flew-control.html)

jason.leesb 12-14-2005 11:21 PM

RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Anyone knows what happened to Spectrolutions ? Even their website is no longer available.

I been flying DF iv for a yr. I used to get my blades from Spectrolutions.

The CF blades you guy mentioned looks tempting, where else can I get my hands on one. The website @ www.rc-play.de charges in Euro !!

Sky High 12-14-2005 11:31 PM

I just tried Spectro's site and it worked fine.

jason.leesb 12-15-2005 01:25 AM

Hmm...

Can I confirm the url ?

it www.Spectrolutions.com rite ?

Sky High 12-15-2005 01:36 AM

Yep. When I clicked that link, it went straight to it. Is absolutely nothing coming up when you try?

markjester 12-15-2005 01:43 AM

I talked to Mike at Spectrolutions about the canopy bit. He wrote to me saying that for the most part he didn't fly the canopy because it did interfere with the Ti. I built a roll cage that would not interfere with the Ti but still offered protection for the board. If Mike said he didn't fly the canopy, that was good enough for me. Just my two cents.

Sky High 12-15-2005 01:52 AM

Hello Mark. I remember that post a while back when you mentioned that. I spoke with Mike last week and mentioned your post about him flying without a canopy and he told me that he didn't use a canopy simply because he didn't have one. I didn't understand that, but that's what he told me. I thought there would be a whole bunch of them lying around because of the repairs. Apparently, they don't make them at Spectro.

jason.leesb 12-15-2005 02:24 AM

Hmm... i can access their website Sky,

According to the vistor's hit, I am vistor #1.... ( but i dont see any pictures/links) except the words
"Your all-in-one shop for custom Prototyping and Electronics Design"

Sky, any recommendation where I can buy cf blade ?

Sky High 12-15-2005 02:34 AM

Yep. Just what I thought. At first, it looks like an error or empty page but his content is accessed from the links in the left nav bar. Spectro does not sell CF blades because of liability. There are several subscribers to this thread that have made their own CF blades. I would do a search on Carbon Fiber and/or CF in this thread to find those specific posts. If you are experiencing chipped or shredded blades frame frame strikes or whatever, I would highly recommend laminating them with [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3655368]packing tape[/link] for strengthening.

kuzer 12-15-2005 07:46 AM

Sky High,
I don't have the camera so I can't comment on interfering with the landing gears. I cut the port holes for the sensors but have not had it outside to see if the sensors will work. The only time I flew with the sensors on it seemed harder to control, but I haven't really spent much time on calibrating. I ordered a 5 LED system which will come in today. Thats a good idea to put the lights under the canopy.....thanks! The instructions on the web site state you splice into the battery leads for the power source. Have you had any experience with this?

kuzer

kuzer 12-15-2005 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Joel73

Hmm... i can access their website Sky,

According to the vistor's hit, I am vistor #1.... ( but i dont see any pictures/links) except the words
"Your all-in-one shop for custom Prototyping and Electronics Design"

Sky, any recommendation where I can buy cf blade ?
I saw the CF blades listed on the Spectro site for 69.95 per pr.

Hunter850 12-15-2005 08:09 AM

Sky High, I mentioned about the blade strikes with my CF blades but I have not had any problems with them hitting the supports except that I do not like the sound and it makes me a bit nervous.

The blades look as good as new and I am sure the DF flys much better than the foam ones. I have not switched back to confirm this but I did notice a much better performance when I changed to the CF blades. I am still using plastic screws and so far have only broken one while trying to do some low flying and hit the ground with one of the blades.

I bought the blades from E-Bay at about $99 us. Steve (stevel0923 on EBAY) who frequents this forum is who I bought them from. I believe he makes them so they are not always for sale.

Also check with SGT Bilko he had mentioned that he had a set of CF some time ago and I believe he doesn't use them. Maybe he might part with them.

It is interesting to not that some of you have problems with the mail system. I usually buy from RC Toys and being from CANADA I get the package in about 2 days. I also but things from the US and with USPS even from California to over here in Nova Scotia it usually only takes about 8 days to deliver. I will not use UPS or FEDEX because they charge as much for a brokerage fee as the product costs.

I was wondering if the lights system the MOE mentioned would be able to plug into the DF Board and use the AUX switch on the Laser 6 to operate it? Maybe if the knob was changed to a 3 way switch. I guess one would have to which plug in was available on the board for this switch? If there is one. If not I guess a splitter from the battery and a switch could supply power.

http://www.helihobby.com/html/extras.html

Ultra bright LED luminous system for all R/C models ** Ultra bright LED luminous system for all R/C models PART#MXAC0012

Kevin

markjester 12-15-2005 01:01 PM

Well, that's a bit different than what he said to me. As I recall, I was having control problems and the first thing he asked was if I was using a canopy. Anyway, I see that these things are still fighting their pilots. That is unfortunate. It is a cool design. Its too bad that it self-destructs at almost every turn. Congratulations for sticking with it and working out the problems.

yvesOttawa 12-15-2005 02:27 PM

I think you were alone with your issues, Mark. No one here is "fighting with the DF". I personally can attest that my DF is cooperating. Of course some regular maintenance is in order such as rotor balancing/alignment, motor and bearing replacement. Proper battery charging practices and a good charger are also beneficial.

If these things are performed and the "modding" (such as your pimp daddy or whatever you call it) is kept at a minimum, there is really no reason why the DF cannot perform as advertised. Mine sure does.

Cheers,

Yves

Sky High 12-15-2005 03:58 PM

Kuzer, first of all, I wouldn't splice into the battery leads if I were you. DFI has a multi-pin adapter plug that fits into that big multi-pin socket. It converts that multi-pin down to a 3 lead servo connection for the 6th channel. That's what I'm going to use to turn my landing lights on and off with, the Tx knob on the top right of the Laser 6. That adapter should have come with your DF according to DFI. Mine didn't and they sent it seperately at no charge. I would use that because it's made just for using that extra channel. I am also working with an R/C accessory company on a custom rechargable Lipoly button cell pack (very small & lightweight). I just don't like tapping into the main power for anything, even LEDs. I don't like the fact that the video camera taps into it but that's the way it's made.

The CF blades that you saw for sale on Spectro's site were for the DF [link=http://www.rctoys.com/img/photo-dfxp-DFXP1.jpg]X Pro[/link]. It is the $6000 version. I hope to get that machine later on.

X Pro Info
http://www.rctoys.com/draganflyerxpro.php

X Pro Image
http://www.rctoys.com/img/photo-dfxp-DFXP1.jpg

Sky High 12-15-2005 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Hunter850

Sky High, I mentioned about the blade strikes with my CF blades but I have not had any problems with them hitting the supports except that I do not like the sound and it makes me a bit nervous. ............
Yes, I know that nauseating feeling when you hear frame strikes, but, since I've laminated my blades I am more confident when I hear that noise now.

ORIGINAL: Hunter850
...............I was wondering if the lights system the MOE mentioned would be able to plug into the DF Board and use the AUX switch on the Laser 6 to operate it? Maybe if the knob was changed to a 3 way switch. I guess one would have to which plug in was available on the board for this switch? If there is one. If not I guess a splitter from the battery and a switch could supply power.
This was covered in the post above with Kuzer. DFI should send you that harness adapter/connector if it didn't come with your kit.

Sky High 12-15-2005 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: yvesOttawa

I think you were alone with your issues, Mark. No one here is "fighting with the DF". I personally can attest that my DF is cooperating. Of course some regular maintenance is in order such as rotor balancing/alignment, motor and bearing replacement. Proper battery charging practices and a good charger are also beneficial.

If these things are performed and the "modding" (such as your pimp daddy or whatever you call it) is kept at a minimum, there is really no reason why the DF cannot perform as advertised. Mine sure does.

Cheers,

Yves
I would have to agree. I think Mark must have gotten a bad board from the beginning and one thing led to another. My DF has flown just fine even after some incidents where I thought it was the end!

Moe3754 12-15-2005 05:52 PM

Just a FYI I spoke with Mike at Spectrolutions a few minutes ago and they are still around and doing well,I had a few questions about my DF and got some great feed back from him.I found out many things and can only say that there are some real surprises coming for all of us,just keep a eye on his web site and things will show up,but would not think it will be until after the first of the year.I also told him about our little group here and the interest that there is in his DF,also asked him to look in when he has time.Well enough for now just wanted to wet your appetite and let you know that they are still around and that there are some real neat things coming for all of us to spend our money on.:D

Also if you go to spectrolutions and look in theit online store under Dragan flyer parts you will find some pins that they are selling along with a PDF file schematic that will tell you how to get power for your lights for your DF from the board and not have to tap the battery. http://www.spectrolutions.com/

poorjohn6 12-15-2005 06:10 PM

Sometime back there was a number of posts, interest and a video on a r/c plane that operates on water or land. At the time the guys said they were only making them for themselves and did not intend to sell them.

I found a similar plane on ebay, #6022066153, that does the same things. The pilot in the video is not as great as the original, but good nevertheless.

John

davidtkal 12-15-2005 06:24 PM

Guys, I have started selling my CF blades and thicker blades on e-bay. Please take a look, if your interested please contact me, thanks , Dave

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6022024989&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1]Thicker plastic blades[/link]

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6021938473&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1]CF Blades[/link]

RCFunattics 12-15-2005 11:59 PM

I purchased my Dragonfly VTI PRO in the spring. It took me about 10 batteries of practice before I started flying like a pro. I have never flown an RC before. I love this thing. Some people think it is expensive but I am told a normal heli takes months of practice just to hover then once it starts flying ya gotta always fix them after crashing and they cost much more after all the fixing than this thing.
I am originally from the same town as the Dragonfly is made and I just learned about them this spring when I opened a hobby store in Surrey BC. It will be exciting to go there(Saskatoon) for a visit and meet the makers of this invention.
PS I went out to an offroad track to film RC Monster Truck bashing and it was vary windy and I persisted to fly and the wind took control of my baby and started sucking it away from me obove the dense BC forest[:@] and I felt a chill go down my back. Luckily I insisted on bringing her home and crashed on the MT track just behind a trail of MT dust.
The Dragonfly XPRO is on my gonna have list:)

scottslc 12-16-2005 10:59 AM

Hey Guys,

I've been using David's (davidtkal) blades for some time now. Just ordered 3 more sets. (what can I say, I go through blades) I've found that the thicker blades Dave makes stands up to the cold better than the thinner blades from spectrosolutions. I also have a set of cf blades that i use sparingly. Been a great source.

This has been an unpaid, unsolicited draganfly service announcement. We now return you to the regular scheduled forum of high priced toys...

yvesOttawa 12-16-2005 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Moe3754
I found out many things and can only say that there are some real surprises coming for all of us,just keep a eye on his web site and things will show up,but would not think it will be until after the first of the year.

Well enough for now just wanted to wet your appetite and let you know that they are still around and that there are some real neat things coming for all of us to spend our money on.:D
Moe, did he tell you anything or just that something new is being developed and will be made available? If you kow something I think it is your duty to share with us. Just dropping this news without any details is just plain nasty [:o]

Moe3754 12-16-2005 01:37 PM

No it is respecting his wishes he did not tell me not to say anything but he also did not say it was ok to either it just came out in conversation about some upgrades and questions about the DF and the way it is made and I also found out who is the inventor of the DF and it is not Zenon Dragon.Let me just say it has to do with better blades and brushless motors,also they will not be CF blades because he does not like CF blades.I really cannot say any more all I can say is keep your eyes open because some changes are coming.;)

scottslc 12-16-2005 02:40 PM

Such suspense and excitement... I'm giddy.

yvesOttawa 12-16-2005 04:36 PM

Big snowstorm in Ottawa today. Over a foot in 12 hours. Guess who was out flying a DF in all this :D