Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

sport jett engine vs jett fire engine

Old 08-09-2015, 12:11 AM
alexconaa1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sport jett engine vs jett fire engine

are there any differences in PERFOMANCE between sport jett engines and jett fire engines of the same displacement ? or is it just the configuration that is different ?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:54 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

The sport jet is for general fast flying the jet f.i.r.e is for racing only.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Moved to appropriate forum
Old 12-03-2015, 12:50 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Except for the specific racing engines, all other Jett engines are technically sport engines. All FIRE stands for is Front Intake Rear Exhaust. Standard SportJett engines are side exhaust. Performance is the same between the side exhaust and read exhaust.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The rear exhaust we used allowed a little higher performance using a tuned pipe.

Dennis
Old 12-03-2015, 08:36 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

A tuned pipe will almost always give more power than a muffler or tuned exhaust. According to Dub, the exhaust configuration has no effect on how the his engines run - power output is the same. However, typically the side exhaust is the more efficient of the two configurations. Rear exhaust is more streamlined though, so in some models, this may allow the engine to make the plane faster and turn more rpm when unloaded. The LX engine upgrade is basically full pipe timed although he does offer a Jettstream muffler for the LX models as well.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:08 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Wow.. apologies, I totally missed this post in here! Looks like it was moved in.

You got some good information.

In general, the performance of the Sport Jett side exhaust engines and the FIRE-JETT rear exhaust engines is identical. The difference comes from the full sized tuned pipe giving you a bit more power increase, but more importantly you can set up the long pipe for exactly the prop, rpm and application you are working with.

For instance, on a FIRE 50, it can be set up tuned for turn a 9x7 type prop at 19,000 rpm or alternately swing a 12x4 prop at 13,000 rpm. It all depends on the pipe, pipe length, and what your expectations are.

Folks use the FIRE engines on speed planes, diamond dusts -- but also on pattern aircraft -- and also a lot of the SAE heavy lift college teams use the engines set up for big props.

Having said all of that, for 90% of sport plane use -- the standard Sport-Jett side exhaust engines with the Jett-Stream tuned muffler will provide outstanding performance in a variety of applications.

I hope this is helpful, and again I apologize for the delay.

Bob Brassell