Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Jett muffler for OS 55AX

Old 12-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Ebuli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jett muffler for OS 55AX

Hi,

I have a Hangar 9 sundowner and I'm going to install an OS 55AX in it. I would like to have some extra rpm from the engine and so I planned to install a Jett muffler on it, instead of the standard muffler the engine comes with.
I'm also going to have the muffler installed inside the canopy / inside the fuselage, similarly as done with this SD.
http://www.jettengineering.com/sundowner.html

So my question is; Which tuned muffler would you recommend to be installed to the 55AX as it's installed inside the fuselage into the sundowner, similarly as in the link above? Oh, and I guess I need a spacer too to get the muffler installed nicely? I didn't find any specifications on the rpm range for the jett mufflers, neither I found any size specs for them.
The RPM at the end should be something starting from 13000 and higher.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jett muffler for OS 55AX

Hi, thank you for writing.

Sorry for the delay responding.

The OS55 installation is very similar to what is shown on the Jett website with the SJ-60LX engine.

The muffler required is the standard TT46 Jett stream muffler. When ordering, note that it will be used in the Sundowner, and request the angle adapter. This points the muffler a bit straighter aft, and alignes it better with the existing passageway in the fuselage.

RPM wise, you will want to target around 14,000 to 15,000 peak ground rpm with this setup. Use a 10x8, 11x6 prop on the 55/jett combination. Has been proven to work very well.

Some documentation on RPM in the TACH forum (look for Ed Moorman) and also in the Extreme Speed forum in the AK Models F-16 thread.