Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

What should kokam1200s draw on triton?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

What should kokam1200s draw on triton?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Reeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should kokam1200s draw on triton?

Hi,

Just got delivery of my first lipo's - 2x 1200 HD kokams which I will be using on a pico stick slow flyer. I've bought a triton to charge them on. When delivered they are supposed to hold 50% capacity so I put them on a 0.6A charge, 7.4v with time limit 80 minutes, figuerd this should do it. Problem was that the charge current started at 0.1A, then after a few minutes went up to 0.2A then finally 0.3A where it sat for the duration of the charge. What gives? After 80 minutes the batteries had only taken 400mA.

I set the charger to charge at 0.6A and it only gave out 0.3A ! That's not very nice is it? So what's going on? I read somewhere that lipo's "draw" their own current from the charge, winding down the current as full charge is approached but should this happen so soon ? is the problem that it's the pack's first charge?

All help is graciously appreciated.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:19 AM
JJ HONG

This is not a matter of first lipo charging.Triton should have a constant current current-constant voltage control for lithium battery.
1)pls check individual cell voltage
voltage is nearly equal then you can start charging
pls make sure that pack voltage is over 6 volt.
2)pack is 50% charged but you don't need to set up 0.6A.
2 SERIES 1200mah cell is capable to accept 1.2AH cc-cv charging
3)check whether you selected voltage 7.4volt(2 series)
4)check you selected lithium charging mode.

In my opinion through your explanation,the charger works only cc mode so that when the pack arrives at 8.4 volt,the charger cut the voltage.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reeb,

The Triton setting for current on Lithium cells is only a maximum value setting. If the pack voltage is high enough, you will get a current less than this value.

Remember that Lithium cells do not peak like NiCd or NiMH cells. Think of it as filling up a bucket of water. First, you turn on the faucet to the (current) limit and then you slowly turn off the water as it approaches the top of the bucket.

Typically, my cells have arrived with greater than 50% charge. I have also found the Triton capacity measurement to be inaccurate for Lithium packs. It does, however, charge them properly full.

Try flying it and see what you think...
Old 08-26-2003, 05:19 PM
Reeb

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the pack seemed fully charged. It's just a shame I can't ramp up the current a bit, even after depleting the pack and then putting it on charge. The voltage at initial charge was showing 7.4V

reeb