Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

What pack should I use?!?

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

What pack should I use?!?

Old 09-04-2003, 05:05 PM
jocool282

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What pack should I use?!?

Hello, I am new to electric flight and do not know much about battery packs. I am looking to power a speed 600 motor on a 7 cell pack. What is the difference between 1500 mAh -1800mAh? which should I choose for the longest duration flights? I will be using a high freq ESC w BEC if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Dr Kiwi

Obviously the greater the capacity of your battery [1800mAh v. 1500mAh], at any given current draw, the longer the duration. If the 1800's are physically larger cells they may be able to supply higher currents to your 600 motor, but against that, if they weigh significantly more than the 1500's, then you'll have to take this extra weight into account as far as overall flying performance goes. The ESC is not a factor here.

Cheers, Phil
Old 09-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil has some good advice.

Without more specific information about the motor, manufacturer, and cell type, if is difficult to give more than a general recommendation.

The Speed 600 canned motors (no brushes showing) typically can handle up to 20amps short term current draw so you'll want a battery cell type that can handle the delivery requirement.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:33 PM
jocool282

Thanks for responding! Let me now get more specific with the details... Its going to be a Magnetic Mayhem Reverse 22x1 motor on a 2.5:1 gear drive with a 10x8 prop. I would like to get the maximum flight times possible, and if 18 or 1900's weigh a little more I do not think it will be too big a problem since it is going to be a pretty good size plane to start with. (great planes electricub 59'') In other words...I'm not relly looking for awesome vert performance lol. All I want is something that will give enough power for a nice rog and pretty scale flight. Thanks again for the help!
Steven