Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

ESC caught on fire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 AM
curtis c
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESC caught on fire?

ORIGINAL: mighty9

As stated before its a crap shoot with HK some items are great some are not.They seem to have taken care of you so far. Keep in mind you can get an esc with bec and just remove the redwire from the receiver end to disable the onboard bec. I myself would look into an HV esc so you had some more headroom for different props and motors .It may be in your future that you need more motor than what you have now.I know you want to use that credit but i would look into the HOBBYWING line of Hv esc. I have 7 or 8 of them now and not had one issue. Also another option is the HEADS UP RC line of esc. Great prices and customer service that is the best in the business.
Mighty9,

I have looked at both of these sites. I really like the Heads up RC site. I will call them today and consult with them before I order a esc from them. Also Hobbywing looks like a great value also. I might call them as well. This will be a learning experience . I am trying not to make it an expensive one just to get to the right equipment. Thanks for your insite.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:33 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

You cant go wrong dealing with Jeff @ heads up. And i understand on not just throwing money away.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Flyer88

This was my HV 120 that exploded in flight !!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM
curtis c
My Feedback: (3)

Wow, Looks pretty bad. You were lucky to get that down with out it burning up the whole plane.

Placed and order with Heads up RC . Purchase a 100amp ecu and a new Firepower 80. After talking with Jessie and explaining what happend to when the ESC burned. He thought the noise that the motor let out probably was a magnet coming loose. That was enough for me to go ahead with the new and more powerful motor. Also it has been tested with different batteries and props. They have all the data posted on their site. I will put up a pic of the final build. Thank for you help.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:15 PM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

I have one of their firepower 80 on 10s and really like it. Good choice
Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One gotcha with outrunner motors is that they can short to the frame and not show the short until running under load.
Still, a good low resistance Ohm meter may show problems with the motor at rest.