Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

New AstroFlight LiPoly Charger

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

New AstroFlight LiPoly Charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AstroFlight LiPoly Charger

I just plunked down my credit card for the new AstroFlight model 109 LiPoly charger. Even with my limited arsenal of LiPolys, I'll give you guys a full report as soon as I get it and play with it for a while.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:42 AM
luc-RCU

Default RE: New AstroFlight LiPoly Charger

First reports look like for big packs (5S and more) the auto-select of cell number is not fool proof, which make me prefer a system with mnual input (jumper or manual) to avoid that kinda mistake.
Of course, we have to wait complete experience to see wether this is true or not...
Old 10-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Gary Retterbush

Luc, where did you hear that? I am thinking of buying one.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:25 PM
luc-RCU

Hi Gary
This has been reported in the RC Group. As you live in germany, the Schulze 330D does more in li-po and accepts other cells too for just a bit more money (batman was selling it 130€ in Aspach)
Old 10-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Matt Kirsch

Just opened the box on mine. It arrived in the mail on Saturday.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:21 AM
Matt Kirsch

Gave the Astro a whirl last evening. It couldn't be simpler to use. Start with the current dial at 0, plug in the pack, and dial the desired current. It had absolutely no trouble identifying the almost-charged 3-cell packs I attached to it.

Watching the display is pretty neat, as once the charger reaches a certain point, it starts pulse-charging the cell. It'll give the cell a quick blip of juice, the voltage will spool up on the display, then it will spool back down. If the cell doesn't hold its full voltage, another quick blip of juice. It will continue pulse charging until the battery holds its full voltage for some predetermined length of time.

I can see where the aggressive cooling fan may annoy some people, but the beeper is pleasant and the only times the charger makes noise is when the battery finishes charging, or you do something stupid like disconnecting the pack... So far, I like it.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:18 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Only thing I don't like about the charger is that current knob. Granted one should always be around a charger when it is doing its thing but accidents happen. What if the knob gets turned way up while you are charging. Per AstroFlight the knob is always active. I might have been better after time X from when you set the current level, that the charger disengaged the knob ability to affect anything. It would also have been good if the charger would not work till the knob was first fully turned down.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:19 AM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope it's ok if I jump in here, What would you all recomend for a LI-PO charger that will charge (MULTIPAL) units and will work AC or DC if money was no object? Thanks for the help. Dave
Old 11-03-2003, 06:20 PM
BEC

If I were to make that recommendation today it would be as many Astro 109s as you want to charge packs simultaneously, and a big switching power supply to run it all.

Now if some of the packs you want to charge are small (1500 mAh or smaller and 4 cells or less) then substitute Apache 1500s for the Astro 109s (but that would only save about $30-40 per charger depending on where you get them - but it would take up much less space).

There are things being developed that may change that answer, but if I were to be running up a credit card today, that's what I'd do.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:58 AM
Matt Kirsch

Two things you'll notice about chargers:

1. AC/DC chargers are limited to 7 cells or less. A high-capacity charger with a built-in power supply would be relatively heavy, and significantly more expensive to build and sell. There are many low-cost alternatives for 12V DC power supplies, and you don't have to lug it to the field if the power supply is a separate unit.

2. High capacity chargers generally only have one output. You've got heat dissipation issues to deal with. Multiple outputs would require an even larger DC power supply. Multiple outputs would make the charger more expensive, and price is always a major factor.

I haven't had the opportunity to use my new 109 much. Haven't had much opportunity to fly. It's been raining just about every day, I go to work when it's dark, and I go home when it's dark...
Old 11-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Cliffw

The 109's have been jumping off my shelf lately and All I have heard is that the DC clips could be a bit bigger as they get warm/ or hot when at 7-8 amps.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:15 PM
dive4life

Will the Astro Flight Model 109 take ni-cd, ni-mh, and li-ion packs also? I seem to be building quite a collection. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:03 AM
Cliffw

Sorry it will only do Li-Poly packs. YOu should look atthe Astro 110D [link=http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=530]click here to see it[/link] and then get the new chip to convert it to the 109. Then you have the best of both worlds.
[link=http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=1062]Click here for the chip[/link].
Old 11-19-2003, 08:39 AM
Matt Kirsch

One caveat with that idea: You need to disassemble the charger and swap the chip each time you want to switch to a different cell chemistry. The chip changes the 110DX to a 109; it does NOT give the charger the capability to charge all cell types.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Cliffw

You are correct! YOu have to take it in and out to flip types. But it is just a lowercost way to get both with the chip and most who go down the Li-Poly path will stay on that side as it gets better and better.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Jakeluke

Is there room in the 110 case to mount both chips, to be controlled with a switch on the side?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:42 AM
Hanger-Flyer

As others have already mentioned this is a Lithium Polymer only charger. I have used mine several times and it seems to work very well. I run it off a two output power supply at the house (the other charger is a Triton) and now...I can charge two batteries at once. (lucky me!)

The current adjustment knob is a little overly sensitive and needs to be turned slowly so it doesn't over shoot the mark, other than that...it's a doozy.

Just remember to turn the knob all the way down to zero charge, then attach the battery and then increase carefully to the desired amperage.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:16 PM
RysiuM

Default RE: New AstroFlight LiPoly Charger - Question

I bought AstroFlight just for charging my LiPo. I don't understand the LiPo setting. You can adjust the voltage for 1,2,3 or 4 cells but why two Volt selections? I don't remember exactly but something like 3.7 and 3.8 V. What that means? It's not the charging voltage limit because it is always 4.2V per cell.

RysiuM
Old 11-26-2003, 06:34 PM
DICK-ELECTRIC

RysiuM, I'm sorry but your question makes no sense. This thread is about the Astroflight 109 Lithium charger. There is no choice of voltages? It connects to a 12 volt + or - about a volt, regulated power supply...PERIOD. The only adjustment is the number of Amps for the battery. BE CAREFUL or you will have problems and maybe even fires if you over set the Amp adjustment. I suggest you stop right now and contact someone in the Sacramento area to assist you with your first Li-Po charge. Be Safe and GUD FLYING....Dick-Electric
Old 11-26-2003, 10:20 PM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: DICK-ELECTRIC
RysiuM, I'm sorry but your question makes no sense. This thread is about the Astroflight 109 Lithium charger.
Sorry, disregard my question. I messed up. Wrong charger.

RysiuM
Old 11-28-2003, 05:47 AM
hutt

You may be thinking of the Ripmax Prodigy charger this does give an option of 3.6 & 3.7 volts per cell but I dont no why.There is a pdf. file of the instructions on the Ripmax website.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Matt Kirsch

The Great Planes Triton also has a setting for 3.6V or 3.7V per cell for Lithium-BASED cells.

3.6V is the nominal, or manufacturer's, voltage rating for many Lithium ION cells.

3.7V is the nominal, or manufacturer's, voltage rating for all Lithium POLYMER cells.

4.2V is the fully-charged voltage of a Lithium Polymer cell. All cells have a nominal voltage, but actually have a much higher voltage when fully charged. For example, a NiCd or NiMH cell has a nominal voltage of 1.2V, but can read as high as 1.5V when fully charged.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:42 PM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch
The Great Planes Triton also has a setting for 3.6V or 3.7V per cell for Lithium-BASED cells.
Thanks Matt,

Good answer for my "out of topic" question

RysiuM
Old 12-09-2003, 10:24 PM
ernie58
My Feedback: (15)

When you buy the chip to convert a 110D to the 109, do you get a new face plate or sticker to note it's now a 109?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:39 PM
Cliffw

The packaging I got has a chip and a small sticker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.