Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

new to lipo's

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure. I've never had my hands on a fake but have read enough about them to know they are not good. Part and parcel with the fake receivers they were selling right down to the identical screen printing, etc...but with junk components inside.
Bob, If you can't get it resolved and don't want to spend a lot on a higher end charger, you can check out the GT Power C6 chargers. They are clones , not too expensive and work fine.http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...-chargers.html
Old 12-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Bobsav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flyinwalenda is this the charger you are referring to ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lipo-Battery...p2054897.l4276
Old 12-15-2013, 01:36 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is the charger I use. Love it!
http://www.revolectrix.com/m4_description_tab.htm
Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 PM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by Bobsav
Flyinwalenda is this the charger you are referring to ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lipo-Battery...p2054897.l4276

Yes those are the clones I have and they have been working well for a few years now. I use them along with my higher end charger and I take one to the field as well. The only downside is that there is no cooling fan inside and when you are charging 5&6 cell packs at higher amperage it gets a bit warm. I just turn a desk fan on to blow over it and it's fine.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 PM
nhbobcat

I too purchased a fake imaxb6ac.Failed to charge second day with 12volts.Returned to vender and received a new one.Don't blame the vender because he was duped too by the distributor.I don't trust the charger and will replace as soon as practical.For charging lipos you need a higher quality charger than the one mentioned.You get what you pay for .
Old 12-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Bobsav

The Cellpro Multi4 Charger that aeajr recommended seems like a reasonable deal, maybe I'll try one of those. I'll contact the store where I bought the imax and see what they have to say.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:38 PM
flyinwalenda

Just be aware the learning curve on that Cellpro is a bit steeper than the 4-button chargers and even the original Cellpro4. My high end charger is a Cellpro and I have a few of the original Cellpro4 chargers. The original Cellpro4's were very very simple to use. Just plug the lipo in, plug the charger in and it started automatically. You never really had to touch it except to adjust the charge amperage(C rate).
The newer Cellpro is a bit more involved. I've seen a few guys who are new and some not so new to lipos at the field with these and all you hear is beep, boop,beep beep over and over because they forgot the procedure. They get it eventually but it's a little involved.
Also there is no AC power supply so if you want to use it at home you would need the 12v source battery or a 110vac/12vdc power supply.
Not trying to scare you away but thought you should know. Once you get the procedure under your belt or set-up the battery memory positions in the charger you will be OK.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:29 AM
dicharry
My Feedback: (16)

Just a word of advice. I had been on Ebay for years. Purchased a quadcopter that would not bind with the TX that came with it. I followed all the rules in a timely fashion and registered a complaint with Ebay. They said I would have to mail the defective product back to China at my expense. I would have to say that the arbitures of disputes have a strong bias toward high volume sellers since that affects there bottom line. Brick and mortar stores have to mark products up to survive.
I gave up my Ebay account after being with them for many years and thousands of dollars of purchases. I will be with Amazon from now on. They are the best about defective product returns at their expense. So far, Amazon has been a pleasure to do business with.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm. As many of you know Amazon does not stock all the products that they offer for sale. Merchants can tie into their sales program and drop ship the item directly to the consumer. Many times without a problem. I would sure report this incident to Amazon.

That being said... I had very good luck with a T6 charger that I bought from a cheap China source. As I went on, I upgraded the chargers to iChargers (306&310), a name that I have grown to respect. They still charge the same old way, so I have not gained much. I sold the T6 charger to a good friend and he uses it to this day. So an inexpensive off-brand charger is not necessarily a bad thing. The video is rather inanely stupid. If you want certain connectors for your batteries, you will have to buy them. I am sure the advert showed the connectors available. This is SOP.

Getting ripped off for a name brand is another issue entirely. My advice on charging new chemistry unknown to yourself is to seek local hands on advice.

Last edited by on_your_six; 12-16-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, I have made many many purchases on e-bay, both new and used, and had no problems with any of them. I have received high quality new goods and received them on a timely basis. The used stuff was as described and was what I expected.

In many cases I have purchased from the same e-bay supplier again.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:21 PM
lionstalker

Those are fine ratings Bob

Ron