Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Speed control with cutoff for lithium

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Speed control with cutoff for lithium

Old 01-23-2004, 08:11 PM
rjpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed control with cutoff for lithium

Just got a Hacker motor and Jeti- Hacker master 18-3p controller and a couple of Thunder Power Lithium 2100 11.4v packs.
Does anyone make a controller that can be programmed to cut off at about 9.6 volts, so I don't damage the cells?
I e-mailed Jeti, but have had no response as yet.
Thanks for any comments.
Ron Jahnig
Old 01-24-2004, 03:03 AM

Default RE: Speed control with cutoff for lithium

http://www.castlecreations.com has brushless controls that you can set the low voltage cut-off. I have 2 of the Phoenix 25's Both have worked great so far.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:37 AM
rjpilot

Thanks for the reply.
Will give them a call.
Ron
Old 01-24-2004, 09:37 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Go with the Castle Creation units. I have 10 or 12 of the various brushed controllers and they have been flawless! Love "em.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:51 PM
rjpilot

Hi Dean;
Thanks for the reply.
I have e-mailed Castle to see if they have one that I can set to a cutoff voltage of about 9.3v or so, as Thunder power recommends not going below 3v per cell.
Thanks
Ron
Old 01-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Bob Payne
My Feedback: (8)

except for the 8th start problem right.?

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

Go with the Castle Creation units. I have 10 or 12 of the various brushed controllers and they have been flawless! Love "em.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

No. The 8th start problem has been identified and fixed. All new controllers are being shipped with the new software. You'd have to get one that's been sitting on someone's shelf for several months to find the problem. If you do find the problem, Castle will update the software and send the controller back to you free of charge.

rjpilot,

9 Volts is close enough. 3.0 Volts per cell is a very conservative estimate. In reality, you can draw the battery down to 2.7 Volts per cell with no ill effects. The difference is that the cells are far less likely to get out of balance if you set the lower limit to 9 Volts.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Bob Payne
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

No. The 8th start problem has been identified and fixed. All new controllers are being shipped with the new software. You'd have to get one that's been sitting on someone's shelf for several months to find the problem. If you do find the problem, Castle will update the software and send the controller back to you free of charge.
What is there turn around time for fixing the controller, I've got several.?
Old 02-07-2004, 04:32 AM
SlyPilot

I have 4 planes and I've begun the switch to lipo batteries.

All my speed controllers have the BEC feature with a cut off at 4.8 V. And per this discussion we know that when flying a 2 pack poly system (or higher) that spec would drain the cell down well past the recommended 3.0 V cut off. Thus ruining the chemistry and my RC budget.

I'm open to any alternatives. Obviously, replacing all the hardware is not a favorite just because of the cost and wasted hardware. The fly, land, test-the-voltage, repeat plan is lam, since longer flight times is the reason I switched to Lipo.

Complicating the situation:
Most of my planes use cheap can motors and have various amperage ratings (5A-25A), but I am starting to transition to brushless motors that require a more expensive sensorless ESC.

QUESTION:
What are the best alternatives? What are the cheap alternatives?

MY ANSWER:
I thought of a spec for an inline BEC that could be inserted between battery and my existing ESC's to produce full voltage until a set capacity, then step the voltage down to 4.8V and trick the older circuitry into thinking the it's time to land and kill the motor. Of course, that's gotta be cheaper any other solution for it to work out.

I guess something's gonna have to give. Either me, my wallet or my Lipo cells. I wonder who will win.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Dr Kiwi

If you can only afford two controllers and don't mind carting around a bit of extra weight, I'd get a Pixie 20P or Pegasus 35P for the brushed motors (depending on your max. amp needs), and a Phoenix 10, 25 or 35 - against matched to what you think your requirements will be. Overkill on ESC ratings never hurt anyone!

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Castle Queen

Bob- Castle turnaround time for repair/software updates is currently 1-2 days.