Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Are these batteries any good?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Are these batteries any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Bret1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these batteries any good?

I was at a specialty hardware store today and found some batteries that looked interesting. Are these any good for r/c motors for the price, compared to the hobby store prices?

Ni-MH tpye
Tysonic size C 1.2v 4500 mah $9.99
Tysonic size D 1.2v 9000 mah $19.99

Energizer 2 pk - AA 1700 mah $10.99
Energizer 2 pk - AA 1850 mah $10.99
Energizer 4 pk - AA 2100 mah $15.99
Energizer 2 pk - C 2200 mah $10.99
Energizer 2 pk - D 2200 mah $10.99
They also had an Energizer 4 battery charger for $25.99

NICAD type
Interstate RC pack 7.2v 1500 mah NICAD $25.46
Old 04-23-2004, 05:53 AM
Bret1

Default RE: Are these batteries any good?

I found a wesite link to online source.
http://batteriesandbutter.com/Mercha...gory_Code=nimh
Old 04-23-2004, 08:39 AM
ReallyUglyStick
My Feedback: (5)

most likely those batteries aren't designed for high discharge applications. a couple of amps would be pushing it. i bought some similar batteries and made a pack for my transmitter. i charge them at no more than 1c. they work good for that as it's low draw. you could try them, but i certainly wouldn't spend a lot of money expecting to make several packs. also, the button tops are not really designed for packs. again, the ones i used were button tops, but i used my dremel and a sanding drum to scuff them up for a decent solder connection, then used desoldering braid for connections. the pack is very ugly, but i've been using it for almost a year with great results.
summation: probably not good for e-flight unless you have low draw setups. should work well for transmitter or reciever batteries provided you are comfortable with soldering.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Bret1,

Typical consumer grade rechargeable batteries are not designed to handle the high-current loads we put on them with our electric airplanes. This is especially true of "AA" size cells. "C" and "D" size cells are too large and heavy for the vast majority of electric flight applications.

Most consumer-grade cells are overpriced anyway. Check out cheapbatterypacks.com.