Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

looking for 1st lipo PolyQuest or Kokam?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

looking for 1st lipo PolyQuest or Kokam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:58 PM
radcast2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for 1st lipo PolyQuest or Kokam?

I am looking to buy my first lipos...
I was wondering which one most prefer bewteen the PolyQuest or the Kokam?
I need a 2cell 1100mAh and a 3cell 1500mAh...(EdgeRC PCW and a Mountain Models Parkjet)
With the poly quest does everyone use that safetly guard or is it just something that the manufactures recommends but really isnt much help?
I was thinking of the Kokam only becuase at Towerhobbies the 3cell is like $38 and the 2 cell is $28

As my charger I will be using a Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite..I was planning on charging both of them at 0.70mAh--0.90mAh or is it okay to charge them at 1.1mAh and 1.5mAh ..I believe I can do 2.4mAh maximum but i dont want to charge them that fast.
Also how often do ya'll cycle them? To my understanding cycling the Lipos doesnt gain anything like it does on NIHM/NICD.

Thanks in advance for any help that everyone can give me.

Rich
Old 01-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: looking for 1st lipo PolyQuest or Kokam?

You really can't go wrong either way. That's why this post sat here for 4 days with no answer. It's all about what fits your application best. You evaluate weight, duration, and Amp draw, and pick the pack that best meets your needs.

For example, I picked the new Kokam 1250mAh 3S pack for the battery in my Mini Funtana because it was 2 ounces lighter than any other solution and produced the current I need to run the motor.

IMHO, cycling batteries of ANY type, just for the sake of cycling, doesn't gain you much, if anything. All you're doing is wasting useful battery life. All cells have limits on how many cycles they can go through. Cycling to check capacity, or to break in NiMH packs, is acceptable, but "memory" is a complete and utter myth these days. Even NiCds no longer display memory behaviour.

Now, when charging LiPolys, RTFM, read the fine manual. Do not exceed a 1C charge rate, EVER, unless you really want to redecorate your shop/home/garage/car/trailer/field box. A 1C charge rate is equal to the pack's capacity. Make sure you are familiar with the proper care and feeding of LiPolys BEFORE you ever think about connecting the pack to the charger.