Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Triton or Astro flight Charger

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Triton or Astro flight Charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:45 AM
jsher
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton or Astro flight Charger

Has anyone ever done a comparison on which is the better charger for LI-PO's, Astro Flight #109 or the Triton. I have to buy one and I can't make up my mind as to which one.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Triton or Astro flight Charger

For LiPoly charging capacity, the Triton and Astro 109 are in two completely different leagues. The Triton can only charge up to 4S, and only up to 2.5 Amps. The Astro can charge up to 9S at up to 8 or 9 Amps, IIRC.

Which one you choose will depend on your needs. If you're only charging LiPolys, then don't bother with the Triton at all. You'd be paying for a whole bunch of capabilities that you wouldn't use (i.e. NiMH and NiCd charging). If you're charging larger LiPoly packs with capacities higher than 2500mAh, or more than 4 cells in series, go with the Astro there as well.

The Triton is an excellent all-purpose charger, but is limited in what it can do by the fact that it does so many things. The Astro 109 EXCELLS at charging LiPolys, because that's all it can do.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:34 AM
jsher

Thanks Matt for the reply, you make a lot of sense. I already have chargers for my NiCD and NiMH's. And who knows If I hit the lottery I may even be able to afford power systems that require more then 4 lipo's.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:39 AM
woodduck-RCU

I agree completely with Matt, the chargers are apples to oranges. I have a Triton and have recently purchased a Astroflight Lithium charger because of the added capacity. The astroflight is also much simpler to use, power it up, connect a discharged battery, it will determine the cell count then you dial in the amps to charge. Likewise disconnect the charger connect a fully charged battery, reconnect the charge and it will detect the battery and discharge. No button or ither dials.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:32 AM
psycho_klown66

If you already have a Nicad/Nihm charger, get the Astro. If you are using Nihm and Lipo a lot and only want to carry 1 charger, get the Triton. If you don't mind taking an second charger or expect to need to charger at a higher rate, get the Astro.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:36 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I went through this same question last fall. Got some great advice on here. I selected the 109 for two reasons. First, I already have chargers for NiCd and NiMH, and second I am hoping to get into electrics larger than parkflyers which will require packs larger than the Triton can handle at one time.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:29 PM
jsher

Thanks for all the input. I just ordered the ASTRO Charger
Old 03-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Bevo

I have three Triton's and they work great. Never had a problem with them. You'll be pleased with this charger.

Bevo