Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Did I Ruin My LiPoly Battery Pack?

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Did I Ruin My LiPoly Battery Pack?

Old 05-22-2005, 08:03 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I Ruin My LiPoly Battery Pack?

O.K., so I,m new to this electric LiPoly thing. I have been flying models since 1965, but wanted to try micro electric. I bought a Diddle bug kit and am using a Berg Rx, Pixie controller and Etec 2 cell 250mA pack. I also bought an Apache 2030 charger for the LiPoly cells. I tried to charge the pack for the first time off my 12V car battery (is that dumb?). The green power light came on and the LED indicator to show a 2 cell pack came on (red), but no other LED light. A red LED to indicate charging was supposed to come until the battery was charged and then a green LED to show done charging. The red LED did not light up so I just waited until I thought the green LED was supposed to come on. It never did either. I left it on the charger for over 2 hours. Now the battery pack seems to be compltely dead. Now when I connect the charger to a 12V, 1000 mA wall supply (normally used for my wireless router) the green power indicator comes on and the red one to indicate a 2cell pack, but now the CHG/ERR red LED blinks on and off like the connections are incorrect. All connections are correct as far as I can tell. Is it the batteries or the charger?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Did I Ruin My LiPoly Battery Pack?

Can you beg/borrow/steal a digital voltmeter to measure the voltage on the pack? That will help tremendously in figuring out where you are and where you can go from here with the pack. Sorry I can't help with the charger; I don't have one. Is there a button you need to push or something?

A 12V car battery is probably one of the absolute best ways to power a 12V charger. It's a stable, spike-free source of voltage.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:50 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Matt,
Thanks for trying to help. Since I posted this I have been on the phone to the place I bought the pack from. I found out that I ran the battery down too far before charging it after I first got it in the mail. To make matters worse, I tried to charge it (using an Apache 2030 charger) from a car battery that sits in my classic car in the garage for long periods of time. When I measured the voltage on the car battery this morning it was 11 volts! The battery pack now reads under 2 volts. The Apache charger did it's job and probably saved me from a fire. I guess the battery pack is trash. I have already ordered a new battery pack and I won't make the same mistake of not charging before using it again. To make matters worse, I hooked up my Pixie 7P controller backwards (motor connector to battery and battery connector to motor. The controller is on it's way to Castle Creations for repair. I'ts an expensive learning curve. I made the mistake of not reading everything I could from these forums on LiPolys, charging first. I should have double checked my wiring too. I may fly this thing eventually in spite of myself.[&o]
Old 05-23-2005, 08:37 PM
artman102
My Feedback: (1)

Don't feel too bad, I was cooling off one of my new LI-Po packs in the freezer. Yes, I forgot it overnight. It took an initial charge, but began to quickly self-discharge. Now its history.

Live and Learn
Old 05-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Artman,

That's very odd. Battery packs, even LiPolys like being stored in the cold. The colder, the better. I believe Greg Covey stores many of his packs in his trailer during the winter, and winters up here in Rochester, NY, temperatures can go well below zero at times. The one thing that could've killed the pack might have been if you tried to charge it before it got back to room temperature, like dunking a frosty mug in boiling water.

I would be more inclined to believe that the damage was already done before you put the pack in the freezer. If it was hot enough that you felt compelled to toss the pack in the freezer to cool it down it must've been pretty hot.