Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Battery Info

Old 05-23-2005, 07:37 PM
bbellfly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Info

I have purchased a Sig Kadet EP. Sig's baby Kadet, it's electric powered. I am doing research on batteries to determine what battery to use. The assembly manual recommends a 7 cell 1100mah Nimh battery pack, in a flat configuration, with a Tamiya plug. The recommendation does not mention voltage.

New to RC and Electric RC, I do not know what battery to purchase. I will be running a HiTec Electron 6Ch FM DC RX 72Mhz:RCD/FUT, with HiTec HS 55 micro servos. The supplied motor is a 7.2 volt Speed 400, an upgrade over the normal speed 400 can motor. The manual mentions this, so I included it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Battery Info

Actually, the recommendation does mention voltage, in the form of cell count. A 7-cell NiCd or NiMH pack will have a nominal voltage of 8.4 Volts; each cell has a nominal voltage of 1.2 Volts. Doesn't matter how big or how small, a 7-cell pack will always have a nominal voltage of 8.4 Volts.

I would get at least an 8-cell pack of 1100mAh NiMH cells. More voltage means more power, and it might be marginal on power with a 7-cell pack.

You can get the exact pack you need at many online battery vendors. I would recommend a pack made from KAN1050 or GP1100 NiMH cells from a vendor like Cheapbatterypacks.com.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:37 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Battery Info

ORIGINAL: bbellfish

I have purchased a Sig Kadet EP. Sig's baby Kadet, it's electric powered. I am doing research on batteries to determine what battery to use. The assembly manual recommends a 7 cell 1100mah Nimh battery pack, in a flat configuration, with a Tamiya plug.
Get rid of the Tamiya plug - voltage drop in these is enough sometimes to actually melt the plug. Use Sermos or Deans Ultra.