Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Li Poly swelling on discharge

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Li Poly swelling on discharge

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:44 PM
motoxxx996
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li Poly swelling on discharge

I have a 11.1 li poly 1100 milli amp battery pack that charges up cool and doesnt swell, so far so good. When I flew the micro jet with this pack I get about a 10 min flight time out of it, but when I land and check the battery it is swollen. It has done this twice (both times I have used it) I am new with lipo's and this doesnt seem right. After the pack cools it returns to its normal size. I believe that the pack is draining at aprox 3 amps and I checked the voltage after landing and its at about 10.5. Do lipolys always swell when they drain fast?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:22 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Li Poly swelling on discharge

No!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:59 PM
motoxxx996
My Feedback: (3)

well ok I guess it's just that simple.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:36 AM
peppern75

I've use LiPo in all of my electric planes. Those models that drain high current (about 6-10 C of the LiPo) has that problem.
They swoll up a litte, but return to normal when cold. This happens every time, and I've been used some of my LiPo several times, maybe 100 times. this is no problem for me.

See my planes at: http://home.no.net/pernil
Old 06-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Swelling is not a good thing under any circumstances with LiPolys. It means there is something seriously wrong with that pack, and it should be properly disposed of ASAP. One of these times the swelling isn't going to go down, and may increase to the point where the envelope ruptures and the pack catches fire.

You're literally playing with fire if you continue to use those packs, guys.

How hot are the packs getting during the flight? They should not be getting more than comfortably warm. If touching the pack makes you say, "Hey that's hot!" it's too hot.