Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

"electric power" batt. Brand....any good?

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

"electric power" batt. Brand....any good?

Old 08-05-2005, 03:39 PM
HPIracer4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "electric power" batt. Brand....any good?

my dad found this deal over at xushobby.com, and i guess he found it because of the high rating that this place has from rcu. now there lipo's seem pretty cheap, but are they good? any1 have any experience with them!? let me kno thanks!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Cappa

Default RE: "electric power" batt. Brand....any good?

Depends on your motor. Those batteries are 8C which means they can be discharged safely at 8 times their capacity.

Example:
1000Mah battery can be discharged safely at 8000Mah or 8 amps.

You need to match your battery capacity and discharge rate to the amount of current your motor pulls.

TIP: Don't go el-cheapo on your batteries, you will probably regret it.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 PM
HPIracer4

well here are the specs for my motor, and my dad has the axi 2208/34 help me out here alittle im kinda confuzed still with all this electric stuff

Size: Replacement for 280/370
Bearings or Bushings: Bearings
Recommended Prop Range: 9x4.7 to 10x4.7
RPM/Volt (Kv): 1080 Kv
Resistance (Ri): .19 ohms
Idle Current (Io): .7A @ 10V
Shaft Diameter: 3.17 mm (1/8")
Weight: 45 g (1.6 oz)
Diameter: 28 mm (1.1 in)
Length: 25 mm (1 in)
Continuous Current: 7A
Maximum Burst Current: 10A
Cells: 6-10 NiCd/NiMh or 2-3 LiPo
Speed Control: 10 - 20 Amp Brushless
Old 08-11-2005, 06:07 AM
mmc205

I have 2 xus hobby LIPOS. 1 1100mah 11.1v, and a 1800mah 11.1v. If run within capacity, these batteries seem great for the price. I have run them both about a dozen times, with no noticable falloff in capacity or voltage, and the cells have stayed balanced. They also come with a tap that allows you to acess each cell individually, to balance them, which i do by charging each cell individually, especially when brand new. I then check the cells about every five flights to ensure that they are staying balanced, which they have.

Tip: Remember sometimes going el cheapo on your battery means buying the same exact battery as a namebrand that the manufacturer puts their own label on. I can buy 2 of these and double my stick time for the price of a kokam or equivalent.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:11 AM
mmc205

ohh, another thing, if electric confuses you, don't feel alone, when i ventured into electrics i was pretty confused too. to do everything right (with the least amount of trial and error) use a drive system utility like motocalc to get everything tweaked before the plane goes together. In my experience, motocalc is right on with measured current draw, thrust and flight speed, as long as the numbers you give it are good. You can dowload a 30 day trial at [link=http://www.motocalc.com]motocalc[/link]
Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 PM
twoerrors high
My Feedback: (2)

The Electric Power li-po's that I have are 1800mah, 8C and 15C burst, I only have a 3 cell charger capable of charging at 1 amp across the battery output. If I charge this way am I going to get into trouble with cell balance?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:59 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

I have been using the Electric Power for about six months with good luck. I have some of the 3S and 4S 8800 mAh that I am using in some larger planes with good luck also.
Here is a graph of Tanic 1050 and Electric Power 1100 3S, The EP even hold a little higher voltage under a 8C load than the Tanic's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37044.gif
Views:	4
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	311235  
Old 08-17-2005, 02:55 PM
mmc205

can your 3 cell charger charge only 3 cells at once, or can it charge 1 or 2 or 3. I have the electrifly lipo charger ($25) and i am pretty happy with it. its simple but it does the job and it was cheap. it can charge 1-3 cells at a time. as i said before, when i want to balance the cells, i just charge each cell individually. If you want to check the cell balance use the tap on the pack and a voltmeter or digital multimeter and make sure the voltages of each of the cells are pretty close, say within 0.05 volts or so. if you see any larger difference, the pack probably needs balanced.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Kamikazi
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Milton

I have been using the Electric Power for about six months with good luck. I have some of the 3S and 4S 8800 mAh that I am using in some larger planes with good luck also.
Here is a graph of Tanic 1050 and Electric Power 1100 3S, The EP even hold a little higher voltage under a 8C load than the Tanic's
I have also had very good luck with them. I run a 2200mah 3s pack in my TRex and a 6600mah 3s3p in my Hacker powered Voyager E. The 2200 seems to hold voltage output at least as good as a 2100 Thunder Power - and they are not hot after the flight - just warm. That's the sign of a good battery to me Although only rated at 8C, they seem every bit as good as most 10c Lipos out there. They all come with PolyQuest style balancing taps now too.
Not all off-brand LiPos are created equally however - had poor experience with HECell Lipos - they sag badly under load and get extremely hot.

Greg
Old 09-20-2005, 10:22 AM
isparky343

I have a PZ P-51 with the stock setup that I want to convert to Li Po. Will any of these batteries fit my plane? The manufacturer suggests the TP 2100 but that batt gave me sticker shock. Also, whatC rate do I need for my plane? Sorry if I seem confused.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:28 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Here are some discharge graph's of the new 12C Electric Power batteries from XUS Hobby, Thet are not on his web site yet so you need to Email to get information on them. Could only do a 11C discharge on the 1300. The CBA tester will not let me go any higher.
Milton
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93121.gif
Views:	6
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	328117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63551.gif
Views:	3
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	328118