Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

"Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" QF article discussion

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

"Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" QF article discussion

Old 09-07-2005, 11:29 PM
e-sailpilot86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" QF article discussion

[sm=kiss.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=angry.gif] Wow. I had no idea the quality would vary so much from pack to pack. I figure the goal of this discussion should be to identify both the battery packs in the article, and others which are made of poor quality. We should write to the manufacturers, demanding higher quality, or we wont buy their products. It seemed clear that the last two photos were the new Thunder Power batteries. Oh my goodness. Forget it. I'm not buying from them again until I know their quality has improved. Also, look at the battery pack that had the PCB overheat and fail under a 20C test. That was clearly a Polyquest pack. I just bought $160 worth of those for a high current situation. [:@] I'm 66% up to the failure mark of 36 amps, so now I have to be careful. Nothing bad yet, but I better check the PCB every couple of flights, otherwise.... [X(] It's up to us, not Steve Neu to get something like this done, let's get this garbage off our shelves. [sm=pirate.gif]

So, what was your impression of the article?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: "Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" QF article discussion

I'm not familiar with this article. Which month's QF does it appear in?

I get the feeling that the article was about pack failures. Were these failed packs that readers/friends submitted to Steve, or were they tested to failure under "laboratory" conditions? The answer to that question could take this discussion in two very different directions.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:46 PM
e-sailpilot86

It's in the October 2005 edition in QF. Believe it or not, these were all packs that failed under Steve Neu's ownership. He has the equipment to test the packs at specific discharge rates, and the failures were under laboratory test conditions. As to whether or not he was wearing a labcoat, I dunno... It's done in his garage. So yes, this is something pretty significant. When you see the pictures, you'll see what I mean. Only one was a failed pack from the battery, but it was clear the pack was damaged, and used after the damage, and it just wasn't protected well enough. All others were failures due to undersized PCB's, too small a wire, and so on. He's focused on the manufacturing aspect. Believe it or not, it seems thunderpower's new pro-lites with the balancing plug are on the down-right ugly part of the list. [X(] Kokam and duralite are at the top.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Greg Covey

I received my October issue of Quiet Flyer today and jumped into Steve Neu's column with interest.

We at FMA applaud his findings and professional candor in letting people decide who is the good, the bad, and the ugly.

PCB number KK31-8343-H (Photo #1) are from KOK2000-15C-3S packs. Note the tab slots are staggared due to the tabs not being symetrical (offset to one side) on the Kokam 2AH cell.

PCB number KK31-8043-H (Photo #2) are from KOK3200-20C-3S packs. Also note the tab slots are in line due to the tabs being symetrical on the Kokam 3.2AH cell.