Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Are these two interchangable???

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Are these two interchangable???

Old 11-21-2005, 12:56 AM
Synapse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these two interchangable???

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to Li-po batteries, so I'm looking for some help. I just ordered a GP FlatOut along with all the hardware needed to get in the air MINUS the battery. That is because the company I ordered it from couldn't ship the battery using any other method than ground service due to its flammable nature. I gotta have that joker before next weekend, so I'm going to try my LHS or another dealer for a battery that will work. Anyway, the battery that Great Planes recommends is one of their own with the following specs:
- Great Planes GPMP0805
- 3 cells
- 640mAh
- 11.1v
- 15C discharge rate (9.6A)
- 54g
- Charging lead with SafeCharge circuit to limit voltage to 4.2v/cell

The battery pack I am thinking of using instead has the following specs (btw, this pack may be discountinued... I'm not sure):
- Thunder Power TP730
- 3 cells
- 730mAh
- 11.1v
- 13C continuous (9.49A), 20C burst (14.6A)
- 50g
- No charging lead or safety circuit to balance cells

Ok, so for the most part the Thunder Power seems like a sure fire winner out of the two, but I don't know much about cell balancing. Is that an absolute "must have"? If so, the thunder power is out. I'm going to be charging this using a Great Planes Triton... if that helps at all.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

-Lee
Old 11-21-2005, 09:05 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Are these two interchangable???

Lee, the packs are interchangable. So far my experience with high discharge LiPos is that they are way over=rated by the vendor. That alone makes the TPs a beeter value. Balncing is very helpful if you are going to use the cells to extremes high charge or discharge rates, deep discharge. If you have aan Astro 109 you can chare one cell at a time. Most people I know are only balancing after every ten or so cycles unless they do one of he above no-nos.
Walt
Old 11-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Walt Thyng

Sorry for the spelling errors. I've only had a half a cup of coffeee so far.
WT
Old 11-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Synapse

Thanks very much for the info Walt. I just talked to a guy at a new hobby shop in the area and he is going to try to get a Thunder Power here for me before Thanksgiving. The one I decided on is a "Gen2" with the following specs:
- Thunder Power TP900-3S
- 900 mAh, 3 cells (11.1V)
- 12C (11A) continuous, 20C (18A) burst
- 59g

Thats 260 more mAh than the great planes, way higher discharge rate, and only weighs 5 grams more. I saved 6 grams by not using their recommended ESC (went with a phoenix-10), so I should be good on weight. Woohoo, can't wait to get it in the air!

Thanks again, now go get some coffee!

-Lee
Old 11-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Walt Thyng

Sounds to me like you made some good choices. If your LHS is going to "get" you a TP pack, it should come with a balancing lead or else it is old stock and should be discounted.
WT

(see the difference that second cup makes? (-:
Old 11-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Synapse

It doesn't look like those models have a seperate charging lead on the pack??? This looks to be the case with several of the smaller packs from TP. Were you talking about a seperate unit that plugs into the pack for charging?

-Lee
Old 11-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Walt Thyng

On my last to trip to the LHS (50 miles) all the TP packs they had were fitted with balancing taps.
WT
Old 11-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Synapse

Hmm, I guess I'll just have to see. The guy just ordered the 900mAh pack for me this morning, but it won't be here until after thanksgiving. Cool thing is, he is letting me borrow an 860mAh TP until mine comes in. He just earned a lot more of my business with that one.

-Lee