Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Lipo Charging questions

Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 PM
packyj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Charging questions

I've just built one of the small warbirds from coxmodels.com... I decided to use the small board they provide with the kit so I could have an on/off switch. My question with the lipo is this... if i've got the lipo battery plugged into this board can I still charge it through it's charge plug while the discharge plug is plugged in even if the switch it's wired to is in the off position?

Hopefully this makes enough sense to get a response.

Patrick
Old 08-12-2006, 04:43 AM
firefightered

Default RE: Lipo Charging questions

howdy packyj, first of all I would strongly advise not charging your lipo while in your plane. This could result in not only destroying your lipo but also your plane ,electronics, house, car, ect. Although lipos are the best thing next to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, they are also unpredictable. If you charge your lipo, PLEASE do this in a safe fire resistant place.[X(] As for your question Im not sure how your plane is set up would need a little more info on how you have it wired. But if you don't do anything else DO NOT CHARGE YOUR LIPO IN YOUR PLANE !!!!!!!!!!!!! the least that could happen is it will swell and get stuck in you battery compartment.[]. Please take my advise on this I almost burned down my firehouse[X(]. Lipos are a great battery you just have to respect them!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patrick,

Yes, you can safely charge the LiPo pack using the charge (or node) connector while the pack is in the plane with the discharge cable connected to the ESC.

The assumptions here are that you are using a balancing charger for Lithium packs like the [link=http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=45&nid=4]Cellpro Charger[/link] from FMA or you are using a ElectriFly pack that has a built in charge limiting device.

Note that it is good common sense to inspect the battery pack periodically for signs of abuse like swelling or the smell of leaking Lithium. Further, never leave a Lithium pack connected when you are finished flying for the day.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2006, 08:59 PM
packyj

Thanks for the tips and info Greg. I am indeed using an electrifly battery with the limiter and also the triton charger.

Thank you both again.