Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Maxx Amps Batteries

Old 10-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxx Amps Batteries

HAs anyone tried these batteries ? They are very reasonably priced at $49.99 for a 3S1P 11.1V 2150 MAH and 30C.
Mike
Old 10-29-2006, 11:42 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Maxx Amps Batteries

Not personally, I've seen quite a few threads on this subject however. Do a thread search and I'm sure you'll come up with some answers, good luck.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:57 AM
jdetray

I have found them to be just fine -- good batteries and helpful staff.

- Jeff
Old 10-30-2006, 06:45 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Sory,
I know many people have had positive experiences with MaxAmps, but not all and I am one. As far as I can tell as long as there's no problem and your order is standard everything is okay. If anything goes wrong that's another story. P{oor response, poor communication. I have a $300.00 LiPo doorstop toback up my statement.
Walt
Old 11-04-2006, 12:25 AM
KyJoe340

My experience has been good. The batteries I purchased are doing fine and service is excellent. There was an issue with one of the batteries not balancing but it turned out to be the balancer which they replaced promptly. I believe they post a 30 day guarantee on their site and you can purchase a 3 year warranty on their batteries also. Walt, I'm curious about the specifics of your situation, do you care to elaborate?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Walt Thyng

My 8S2P 4200 MAH pack was delivered with JST balancing taps. Nobody, including Austin, could tell me how to use them with an Astro blinky. I returned the pack asking that it be converted to a more common type of tap. after many, slowly answered e-mails, they finally got the picture and redid the pack with TP taps (and did a good job). But when the pack was returned there were two weak cells according to my TP balancer. I cycled the pack twice using the TP balancer and my Astro 109 and went flying. My set up drew 39.5 amps according to my Whatt metter. I was using a Hacker ESC set for LiPo. When I attempted to recharge tha pack the TP blancer showed two dead cells and my Astro 109 recorded only 6 cells, not 8. I wrote Maxamps to ask if the pack could be reconfigured using the remaining good cells. After a considerable wait I was told "NO. The connecting tabs would be too brittle." My $300.00 pack became a doorstop.

In all fairness Austin has been in contact with me since this thread started and has offered to replace the pack. If he does, I'll report it on this thread.
Walt

PS the above is an extremely condensed summary of a nearly year-long conversation.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:21 AM
KyJoe340

Thanks for your reply. Should you be a little concerned about you ESC's Lipo cutoff? It seems that when you cycled, if the battery had a problem it would have shown itself. I'm using the Hyperion balancer and after every flight there is a weak cell or two that has to be balanced. It's not uncommon to have a weak cell, I guess that's why we have balancers. Whatever the case I'm glad to hear MaxAmps is working with you.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:33 AM
wildjaych

the lipos i got from them have been working fine. probably almost 6 months now.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Walt Thyng

I want to be fair to MaxAmps. I just received four 4s 2100 mah packs as replacement for my $300.00 doorstop (see above). Austin contacted me shortly after this thread developed and after a couple of communications glitches (including losing my address in the midst of all this) and the packs arrived in about 10 days (I didn't keep track of the exact time because I frankly didn't expect to get them)[I'm being stone honest here]. Unfortunately they arrived with Hyperion balance taps and I have a Thunder Power Balancer. I called them on their 800 line and explained the situation fully expecting to pay for an adaptor as I hadn't specified TP taps, instead they promised to send me one on Monday (it is Veteran's Day in WA.) free of charge.

If the packs perform well. I will consider trying MaxAmps again in the future as I think I've learned how to deal with their support problems. Besides anyone can have a bad day!
Walt