Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Is there anything out there better than what I have?

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Is there anything out there better than what I have?

Old 07-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Hatty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anything out there better than what I have?

I'm looking to buy a new lipo battery soon and wonder if anyone has any suggestions. At the moment, I use Great Planes 1500mah 3s 8c lipo and like it and have had no problems. But, looking on Tower Hobbies website shows many more manufacturers than I remember. Does one stand out from the group?

Also, do you recommend getting a balancing ready lipo? I was thinking it was a good idea, but the ones I have seen are both larger and heavier than the battery I have now and a battery much larger than my current one will not fit into my plane. Is a balancer worth making major modifications to my plane or should I say screw it?

Lastly, what's this li-manganese stuff I'm seeing? How does this chemistry differ from my li-polymer?
Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: Is there anything out there better than what I have?

well on the batteries, you basically said what the difference is chemically =P The main name that the manganese packs go by are the a123. The can discharge at something like 35C and can charge pretty quick too, like 15 min or less for a full charge. They have a bit of a different voltage, and right now they are basically only available through dewalt drills as far as I know, and basically you take apart the pack and make your own out of it and they come in 2300mAh cells.

About the balancer, yes it is worth having a balancer. Actually it's a good bit of a risk not having a balancer. If you know what you are doing though you can add a balance tap to most lipos that don't have them.

Tp or thunder power battery packs are usually considered to be in the top perfoming packs, especially for the weight.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 AM
jooNorway

Your batteries are 8C. Today most LiPoes are 20C or higher. To be able to deliver more current higher "C"-batteries get a weight-penalty because there are more metal in them! As long as you don`t need more than 12A in your setup you could choose a "newer" battery" at only 800mAh rated 20C. But the flighttime will be far less of course. Or take the weight-penalty by buying a 1500mAh battery from the latest generation... Or search for batteries with lower C-ratings. They will weigh less.

Every pilot have their own favourites, and mine is FlightPower LiPo. For me they are the best, but mark the words "for me"
One advice: if you would like to buy new LiPoes stick with one brand, their balancer and so on.

A123 are available as loose cells. Advantage is as mrasmm said: High C-rating, fast charging, and far safer than LiPo. Disadvantage: a bit more weight per mAh, and different voltage. Loose cells here: http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=5041

Interesting dataes: http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d.../A123/A123.pdf

Old 07-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Hatty

Hey, this is what I'm talking about when I say Li-Manganese: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUW0&P=7

I remember hearing about these batteries when they first came out in Makita drills (I'm guessing that they are the same). But, I haven't heard of them being used in any other field. Funny thing though, the specs on Tower do not say anything about being able to be charged and discharged faster than current li-pos. Why is that?

And lastly, are there any online tutorials that show how to install balancing leads to lipos without them?

EDIT: forgot the last sentence.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 AM
agmurf
My Feedback: (20)

Check out Maxamps.com for good prices and great customer service on Lipo cells.

I agree with jooNorway somewhat about the balancing/ charger issue. Buy one type of battery balancer on the battery you choose. I personally have a FMA Pro HD charger with an adapter. It charges lipos and A123 cells, and the adapter will support hyperion and thunder power taps.

I have a 72" cub with 5s2p A123 pack (10 cells at 18 volts). To charge it using the Pro HD it takes about 35 minutes. I get some 10 minute flights with power to spare.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The makita li-ion cells are round hard cells a bit bigger than AA dry cells. I'm using them in a 40 size Pulse XT.