Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

TRITON JR - REMOVING TIME CUT OFF

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

TRITON JR - REMOVING TIME CUT OFF

Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 AM
lmoreira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRITON JR - REMOVING TIME CUT OFF

Does anyone know how we can remove the TIME CUT OFF from Triton Jr ???

Because when we charge NiCd batterys we cant charge with 0.1 C because the Triton Jr cut off in 120 min.

Is there anything that i can change in Triton Jr do eliminate this CUT OFF TIMER ????

Luis
Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: TRITON JR - REMOVING TIME CUT OFF

ORIGINAL: lmoreira

Does anyone know how we can remove the TIME CUT OFF from Triton Jr ???

Because when we charge NiCd batterys we cant charge with 0.1 C because the Triton Jr cut off in 120 min.

Is there anything that i can change in Triton Jr do eliminate this CUT OFF TIMER ????

Luis

I discussed this when I reviewed the Triton Jr. and was told they purposely made it that way as a safety feature.

Here is my satement from the review:
Fast Charge Safety Timer: NiCd/MH 1.5 hours, LiPo 2 hours (here is where I disagreed with the Great Planes ElectroFly people – IMHO they should have made it so it could be disabled for formation charging or for people that want to use less aggressive charge on their packs.)
Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I also do not like the chargers that have gone to a "capacity" setting and then a forced rate based on that capacity. I like them seperate in order to be able to charge faster or slower sometimes yet still have the max capacity protection.

I suppose combining the two (1C AND safety timer) is safer [&:]
Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 PM
lmoreira

So, dosent exist anyway to remove it from the Triton Jr?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM
guver

If Red can't tackle removing it then probably not. It is probably imbedded in some program chip and not adjustable by user.

I'd love to be able to hook some chargers to my pc and change some stuff around. A couple of mine even have some connections that look to be diagnostic/calibration connections, but to find out how to me is nearly impossible.

You might be better off with unloading it and getting a regular Triton or Triton2. Many other chargers also do not have the safety timer or it is able to be disabled. Another option is to find one of the many clones of the Triton JR that do not use the safety timer. There are maybe a dozen or so chargers in this class and I'd bet that not all of them use the safety timer. Try checking the Multiplex LN 5014.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:09 PM
lmoreira

Thanks. What do yuo thinkabout Bantan BC6 ?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Xpress

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've never heard of it, but I picked up a 1-4 cell lipo charger that auto charges based on cell size, (eg. 2100=2.1 amps) And it was only like 30 bucks, and easily charges my 2100s, fastly, and safely (has fuse)

A lot of guys that have the Triton Jr at my field do not like it because of the timer. It can't even charge their 2100's that have gone slightly below the voltage count, while my charger can bring their packs up to it's nominal voltage. ( http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/158370.asp )
Old 10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: lmoreira

Thanks. What do yuo thinkabout Bantan BC6 ?
A very capable charger.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:45 AM
trickydevil

My triton jr has just started cutting off 1.5 hrs after I start charging not 1.5 hrs after it finishes as stated in the manual. It did not do this before as I remember charging my field battery for about 7 or 8 hrs and the alarm did not kick in. Next time i went to charge my field battery it would alarm off after 1.5 hrs!

Is my charger faulty now or faulty before???????????

After reading the previous posts on this thread I am not sure!!!!!

Any ideas?

Richard
Old 04-20-2008, 09:13 AM
guver

The new ones have ability to remove time-out feature.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:42 AM
BigTb17

I have a Triton Jr. and you CAN disable the safety cutoff, but only for Ni-Cd and Ni-MH.

Once you set the battery type and charge rate press and hold the battery type selection button until the input and output voltages display. Then press the down arrow until the screen says Safety Timer: On. Press enter and it should start flashing. Press down arrow once so it changes to off and then press enter again. This disables the safety timer. However, this timer will default to On every time you turn the charger on and will have to be turned off each time.

It cannot be disabled on LiPo battery mode because of the safety issue of leaving a LiPo on a charger for too long.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:42 AM
dwkehoss

I had problems with my TRITON charging my 2500 mah NiMH battery and didnt realize until I studied the manual that the SAFTEY TIMER was completely adjustable and had to be increased. I also didnt realize the NiMH MAX. CHARGE INPUT also had to be set to match battery capacity. Before I made those corrections I was just spinning my wheels.