Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

outrunner power for Kadet EP42

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

outrunner power for Kadet EP42

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:59 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outrunner power for Kadet EP42

Hello Everyone!

I've been a slimer since 1977 but am now getting into epower flight. I have a GP Reactor that's just about ready to go.

I'd like to get the Sig Kadet EP42 for my son (he's now 6 years old) to learn to fly but would like to ditch the suggested NIMH power and included motor for a LIPO and out-runner setup. Thing is, I don't know what would be equivalent power wise. Actually, I wouldn't mind a touch more power than the standard Super 400 motor included in the package as I fly at 5400 feet altitude so a little bit more power wouldn't be a bad thing.

Here's my question: What outrunner and ESC would you suggest for the Kadet EP42?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
js3

Default RE: outrunner power for Kadet EP42

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:06 PM
vmsguy

I do not have a EP42 ARF....

But....

I'd think an AXI 2826/12, 40 Amp ESC with Battery Elimination Circuit, 3cell LiPos, and a 12x6 prop should fly it wonderfully well.

I'd probably hook up 2 2100 mAh battery packs in parallel. Or get the appropriate 3S2P 4200 mAh setup.

OH... Also get somekind of surface mount arming switch. That way you don't have to worry about disconnecting the battery.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 PM
js3

vmsguy,

Thanks for the reply!

40 amp ESC and a 12 X 6 prop... Really? That seems like an awful lot to me but again, I'm new to all this epower stuff.

The arming switch is a good idea. I like that.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:58 PM
vmsguy

You're right, it is overkill.. But not by a lot. At least you shouldn't have to worry about overheating any single component. That prop may seem big, but it's not going to spin super fast either.

I believe that power combo will really pull that plane around.. That combo will take off from grass, fly easily, loop, roll, climb etc. And you should be able to "train" and "cruise around" on half throttle pretty easily.

There is a software program, called MotoCalc. It's pretty good. You can download it, and play with for 30 days for free. That can help you figure everything out. I like it. I didn't run your plane and power plant through it, but it can be done...

MotoCalc bases its calculations on a fully ready to fly except powerplant airplane. If that doesn't make sense. A plane that is fully built, assembled, radio and servos installed. Just waiting on the power system.

Then it'll give recommendations, and warnings as appropriate. It will tell you what kind of flight characteristics it will have. For example, it might say it'll take off well from a grass field, or should be able to loop from level flight, or even should be able to hover. It'll also give warnings about overtaxing/overheating the motor, etc.

When you build your plane, you need to worry about cooling the ESC and the motor the most. If you have enough battery current, the batteries can stay inside, and don't need as much ventilation. But the motor and the ESC do. A popular and normal mounting location for the ESC is near the motor. A popular place on a tail dragger is mounted against the firewall, under the motor. Another place is on the motor stand-offs. This allows both the motor and ESC to be cooled relatively easily, without complex ducting into and out of the fuselage.

I can't stress an arming switch enough. A guy at the field has an E-flite 25 cub. He didn't put an arming switch in it. He nearly lost it. The ESC fried, and caught on fire. The plane crash landed (luckily softly in tall grass) and the fire spread to the balsa. He was trying to put the flame out, trying remove the battery hatch and disconnect the battery. All the while, all the power is 'hot'. The ESC could've shorted or something and the motor could started spinning again.. Serious disaster, beyond have the plane go up in flames, was looming. Had he an arming switch of some sort, pull the switch, and at least no more accidently motor spinning. MAXX Producs makes a device, called a "High Current Arming Switch" Stock number 6970. I have one sitting in front of me. It basically sits between the battery and the ESC. And has a connector that fits through the side of the fuselage. I bought mine at the LHS for $13.00. I'll put it in all my planes from now on.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Greenkeel27

I have flown the Kadet numerous flights with the following power setup:

E-flite EFLM1105 brushless inrunner. Kv 3700
Phoenix Castle 25 ESC
DN 3 cell LiPo 2150 MaH
E-flite 6.6:1 Gearbox (V2) EFLM221
9x6 and 9x7 prop (both work very well)

The 9x7 prop read on the tach about 5900 RPM.

Plane weighs (including battery) about 27.5 ounces. No balance weight was needed.

We fly here in Chino Valley, our altitude is about 4800 feet.

The plane takes off in about 20 feet, plenty of power. Some aerobatics are possible and the airplane flys as a very nice trainer with 1/2 throttle.
Landing is very docile and low speed with throttle cut.

Flight times exceed 15 minutes. I have run on the ground at 3/4 throttle for 20 minutes, motor and battery stay quite cool.

I like the performance and flight times. This is a very flyable and fun flying combination.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:13 PM
js3

ORIGINAL: Greenkeel27

I have flown the Kadet numerous flights with the following power setup:

E-flite EFLM1105 brushless inrunner. Kv 3700
Phoenix Castle 25 ESC
DN 3 cell LiPo 2150 MaH
E-flite 6.6:1 Gearbox (V2) EFLM221
9x6 and 9x7 prop (both work very well)

The 9x7 prop read on the tach about 5900 RPM.

Plane weighs (including battery) about 27.5 ounces. No balance weight was needed.

We fly here in Chino Valley, our altitude is about 4800 feet.

The plane takes off in about 20 feet, plenty of power. Some aerobatics are possible and the airplane flys as a very nice trainer with 1/2 throttle.
Landing is very docile and low speed with throttle cut.

Flight times exceed 15 minutes. I have run on the ground at 3/4 throttle for 20 minutes, motor and battery stay quite cool.

I like the performance and flight times. This is a very flyable and fun flying combination.
Great! Thanks very much for the reply. I haven't yet purchased the Kadet as I've been busy with other projects but I'll keep all this advice in mind.

Thanks!