Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

(Frustrated with ESC or AXI motor

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

(Frustrated with ESC or AXI motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 PM
tcastner
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Frustrated with ESC or AXI motor

Hope this is the right forum, I have a funtana with AXI 22/12/20 with a Jeti 30 advance and a thunder power, went to fly today and the motor would not turn that is it wouldent spin just jurk around slowly the battery is charged up and good 12.67 what I need to know from you guys that are smarter then I is how to diegnose it. ( is the speed control bad or motor??) I do have 5.3 volts to the reciever
it's been runing perty good up to this point Any advice. thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 PM
jdetray

Default RE: (Frustrated with ESC or AXI motor

If it has been working to this point, it could be a bad connector or solder joint, or a broken wire in the motor, or a loose magnet in the motor. Has the plane suffered any hard landings lately?

- Jeff
Old 01-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

In my experience Axi motor are very fussy about timing. The Jeti Aadvance allows you to adjust it. I always have to read the instructions, but I think Axis like the least advance.
Walt
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 PM
tcastner
My Feedback: (5)

No hard landing and doing some further checking I notice that the speed controler does'ent beep any more like the instruction say it should and it did at one time I'm a little more then confused on the instructions on the programer can you step me thorugh it, and can I take the mortor apart with out messing it up,let me see what the timming was be right back HA HA now it is set (hi for outrunners)
I do have one cold solder joint. Thanks Jeff & Walt
Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
jdetray

One thing to remember is that the beeps actually come from the motor. The ESC uses that motor as a "speaker" to produce the beeps. So when an ESC stops beeping, the problem can lie in the motor or in the connections between the motor and the ESC. Thus a bad solder joint between the motor and ESC could cause the ESC to stop beeping.

- Jeff
Old 01-29-2008, 08:28 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Take it to the LHS and see if it will run a motor that they may have handy.Sometimes an ESC needs to be updated by computer to function properly.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:45 AM
p51delta

I just bought a Master Spin Hacker-Jeti speed controller. If I remember correctly,In the instruction manual troubleshooting tips they mentioned that if the motor won't run and just jerks around like yours does then it is probably a broken solder connection between motor and ESC which could be hidden under shrink tubing.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 AM
p51delta

I just checked the manual again. It says if the motor won't run and just jerks around it is almost always a bad connection between ESC and motor. Check all solder joints and all plug connectors. Bad connectors and solder joints lead to increased resistance which in turn causes decreased performance and even the motor to just jerk around and not run.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:28 AM
brokenshale

Its probly a bad connection. but to be sure unplug the motor and plug another motor in with no prop on it and try it. I trouble shoot that way all the time. I have had conectors brake under the shrink tube. Good luck Jerry